Water Meters - saving money

Sue

There was at least one thread on this a while ago, but I've done a search and I can't find it/them, so I'm starting another one.

I recently got my payment plan from Thames Water for the year from May 2019, and once again my annual bill has been more or less halved.

Before I changed to a meter, in May 2016, I was paying ?400 a year (well, ?399.34 :)) )

My average payment since then has been ?195. So far I've saved around ?600, with another ?200 to be saved in the year to come, assuming I use around the same amount of water.

I'm not yer average water consumer, as I live by myself most of the time, so it's obviously worth doing a calculation via Thames Water's website before you bite the bullet:

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/be-water-smart/water-saving-calculator

(I think that's the correct link)

However, unless things have changed since I got my meter, if you find that you aren't saving money by having a meter, you have twelve months (I think) to change back to your previous billing arrangements.

I found the changeover and meter installation really easy, and Thames Water were very helpful throughout.

I bought a fruit cage for my allotment with the first year's savings, and now I'm going for a cordless hoover with the second/third years' (and possibly fourth :)) )

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hope you don't get any burst pipes.... Or even

> hairline cracks

>

> Unless you regularly monitor it, you won't find

> out till the bill drops!

They read the meter every six months. The volume used is clearly stated on the bill.

If I had a burst pipe I think/hope I'd become aware of it pretty quickly! And I think I'd have more to worry about than my water bill! But in nearly thirty years of living here, I've never had a burst pipe. Hope that isn't tempting fate :))

A hairline crack wouldn't lose much water.

But in any case, the savings overall over the years would far outweigh the cost of anything like that, I'm sure.

I made a request last week for a water meter.

The reply I received was that my application could NOT be completed due to a previous application.

I have never previously requested a water meter.

I live alone and currently pay ?405 P.A. I had to dislose this in my application.

I suspect that they have worked out that it would not be profitable to Thames Water

to install a water meter at my address.

They also indicated that my water meter would need to be installed inside my home.

I have just had a new kitchen installed 2018 and much of this would need removing and

reinstalled to reach pipework. This would cost several ?100's possibly ?1,000 +

?405 is about ?1.11p a day which is fairly cheap. Does not seem practical to proceed.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I made a request last week for a water meter.

> The reply I received was that my application

> could NOT be completed due to a previous

> application.

>

> I have never previously requested a water meter.

>

>

> I live alone and currently pay ?405 P.A. I had to

> dislose this in my application.

>

> I suspect that they have worked out that it would

> not be profitable to Thames Water

> to install a water meter at my address.

>

> They also indicated that my water meter would

> need to be installed inside my home.

> I have just had a new kitchen installed 2018 and

> much of this would need removing and

> reinstalled to reach pipework. This would cost

> several ?100's possibly ?1,000 +

>

> ?405 is about ?1.11p a day which is fairly cheap.

> Does not seem practical to proceed.

>

Surely if you have not previously applied for a water meter, you just tell them that? Possibly they have mixed you up with another address?

Also if you had previously applied, why would you not already have a water meter? That doesn't make sense!

I can't see why they would need to instal a meter inside your home. Mine is on the pavement, so they don't have to come inside the house to read it. It is also much more convenient for turning off the water if necessary, as the main stopcock used to be in my cellar.

Have you got some strange arrangement of water pipes inside your house?

I don't think this has to do with profitability to Thames Water. If I didn't have a meter, they would be getting ?200 a year more from me than they are now.

From Thames Water Website..

Smart meters measure your water use remotely. They take hourly, automatic readings meaning your bills will reflect the amount of water you use. This means it's a fairer way to pay giving you control over your use and bills.

I do not understand how these things work ???

My cistern was running into the pan and I left it (stupidly just never got around to it and didn't realise the amount of water going through) and ended up with a 500 bill when I'm normally paying around 120 at the end of the quarter.

That was a few years ago now though always the same since.

From the TW website it seems that they can now force people to have a meter whether they want one or not.

What legal powers do you have to fit the meter?

We have the right to fit meters under the Water Industry Act 1991 section 162, under our Resources Management Plan for 2015 - 2040. This act grants permission for water companies to meter domestic premises on a compulsory basis in areas which have been determined by the Secretary of State to be of serious water stress (this includes our region). We will always try to fit your meter outside where we can. However, in some cases this may not be possible, so we?d need to fit your meter inside your property. We will make an appointment with you to do this.

As Foxy says they're now fitting smart meters which transmit their readings hourly (seems excessive). Unclear how they are powered but given they expect to fit most in the street then it wouldn't rely on the domestic power supply.

@Foxy - I have a 4 adult household which showers and baths daily and use a washing machine and dishwasher regularly and I water my garden occasionally. I have a meter and I pay less than you are so I would have thought you could make a significant saving.

ed_pete Wrote:

> From the TW website it seems that they can now

> force people to have a meter whether they want one

> or not.

>

> What legal powers do you have to fit the meter?

> We have the right to fit meters under the Water

> Industry Act 1991 section 162, under our Resources

> Management Plan for 2015 - 2040. This act grants

> permission for water companies to meter domestic

> premises on a compulsory basis in areas which have

> been determined by the Secretary of State to be of

> serious water stress (this includes our region).

> We will always try to fit your meter outside where

> we can. However, in some cases this may not be

> possible, so we?d need to fit your meter inside

> your property. We will make an appointment with

> you to do this.

>

> As Foxy says they're now fitting smart meters

> which transmit their readings hourly (seems

> excessive). Unclear how they are powered but given

> they expect to fit most in the street then it

> wouldn't rely on the domestic power supply.

> @Foxy - I have a 4 adult household which showers

> and baths daily and use a washing machine and

> dishwasher regularly and I water my garden

> occasionally. I have a meter and I pay less than

> you are so I would have thought you could make a

> significant saving.

Maybe hourly means you can track what time of day you're using the most - could be useful if you're using too much.

This doesn't answer how the smart meter is powered but if Dulwich Fox's water pipes are shared, that could make his house unsuitable - from Thames Water's website:-

"We aim to fit your meter in the footpath outside your home so it can be fitted and maintained without disturbing you. This will be done roughly four weeks after we write to you, you do not need to be home for this.

If this isn?t possible, for example your pipework is shared with a neighbour, we may need an appointment with you to look for an alternative place to fit your meter. This could be next to your internal stop tap. If this is the case we will call you to

arrange a convenient time to carry out this

work"

I had a water meter installed a few years ago at my request. Bills went from ?60 per month to ?20 per month. Family of four, washing machine, dishwasher. It makes you more aware of your water usage and wastage (part of the idea obviously).

Mine was installed in the kitchen under the sink with zero inconvenience or cost.

Everyone should have them.

If my water meter needs to be installed inside then it would be a major job

My pipes are under the floor. Concrete , Ceramic tiles , Screed , Aluminium foil , Laminate flooring

The stopcock is inside my kitchen sink unit, to get to it would all need to be removed and refitted

The sink unit has a solid back with electrical sockets for washing machine

also all the pipes for the washing machine would need to be dismantled

nxjen Wrote:

> I?m considering getting a water meter installed

> but I?m wondering how watering the garden in

> summer with a hosepipe affects usage. Can anyone

> advise?

I guess it depends on the size of your garden, the water pressure, how long you spend watering and what volume of water you use, but obviously usage will be greater than if you didn't water at all.

Thames Water may be able to give you some indication perhaps?

I have now been in contact with Thames Water.

I had a missed call and they sent me a Voicemail.

I did not even know Voicemail was set up as it had previously never worked.

I nearly deleted it as I could not understand what the person who left it was talking about.

but heard Water meter so called back the number.

Evidently they will come next week to do a survey at my property

Also the meters do not need Power. They have a battery which the guy said lasts 10 years.

Sounds a bit ambitious 10 years.

Survey done by Thames Water..

Will take 50 days to submit to Southwark Council for permission and Licence to dig on pavement.

Evidently the Batteries need to be changed every 15 Years,

Dont think I need to worry too much about that then.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm frightened to flush the loo now.

I normally take a long soak in the bath every night 1/2 hour with regular top ups with hot water.

It will be one bath a week from now on. Don't like showers.

Will save on Gas too.

Once a week for the Washing Machine

Its the only way a Water Meter will make any difference.

It just makes people more careful.

DulwichFox.