East Asian Cooking

EastAsianCooking

I have been to Khan's, will check it out. Thanks

There is a new large Vietnamese restaurant opening on the Old Kent Road, opposite Tesco.

Sue - Ah yes I have. It is okay, found what I needed but I find it quite expensive.

What is everyone's favourite East Asian dish? I love king prawn pad thai and Vietnamese spring rolls. Also love, salmon terriyaki.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Vietnamese shop on Rye Lane opposite Asda.

That is called Wang Jia - it is actually Chinese (although I'm sure they have Viet stuff in there too). It's not as good as Wing Tai, but the crazy music pumping out on massive PA speakers can make a visit worthwhile.

There is also a Vietnamese shop called Kim Lien, on Peckham High St.

One of my nemesis' is Wing Yip on the Purley Way. Not quite local but it's like going into the pub for just one pint, going in for one item normally sees me coming out with a trolley load and a few hundred quid worse off but with a big grin on my face and weeks of joyous cooking to follow 😅

For Vietnamese cooking I rate Luke Nguyen as having some creative ideas, if you are looking for Japanese then try a book called Hashi (the Japanese one pot sticky rice is to die for )

Just off to my bookshelf now to thumb through for something tasty for later in the week

The See Woo in Greenwich is also good. I haven't been to Chinatown for many years now, I am sure it has changed a lot...

Thank you ArtfulDogger. I will check them out. I love sticky rice, never tried to make it myself. I own a rice cooker I wonder if I can make it in that....

What other dishes have you made?

Sticky rice is the easiest of all rices to make.

You just need a steaming basket.

We make it weekly no probs, takes 20mins start to finish. But you gotta soak the rice for a few hours beforehand, so soak/rinse before going to work, to cook that evening.

Have made this super simple (but pretty impressive) one a number of times when people come over....its from jaime rather than an Asian chef, but has proven very popular....

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/steamed-thai-style-sea-bass-and-rice/

Given its often for dinner party guest, I splash out and get fresh Seabass fillets from Moxons (not cheap_....my only comment on the recipe would be to remove the skin from the fish, as the fish is steamed over the top of the flavoured rice as the rice finishes coooking, and steamed skin is far from ideal....also, I usually add plenty of kaffir lime leaf to the paste to give it a real thai flavour kick...

LV0210 Wrote:

> The See Woo in Greenwich is also good.

Yes, it's excellent. Massive range of Chinese ingredients, and also quite a bit of Thai/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese stuff. Fresh fish/seafood straight from the market, significantly cheaper than any fishmonger I've ever seen. Huge range of frozen seafoods too.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Sue - not sure what big shop at E&C is !

> Please enlighten....

I keep passing it on the bus.

It's next to that massive Chinese restaurant I think.

Left hand side as you approach the Elephant.

EastAsianCooking Wrote:

> I have been to Khan's, will check it out. Thanks

>

> There is a new large Vietnamese restaurant opening

> on the Old Kent Road, opposite Tesco.

>

> Sue - Ah yes I have. It is okay, found what I

> needed but I find it quite expensive.

>

> What is everyone's favourite East Asian dish? I

> love king prawn pad thai and Vietnamese spring

> rolls. Also love, salmon terriyaki.

Monkatsu do a yummy salmon terriyaki. However as that is the only place I've ever had it, I have nothing to compare it with ....

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

> One of my nemesis' is Wing Yip on the Purley Way.

> Not quite local but it's like going into the pub

> for just one pint, going in for one item normally

> sees me coming out with a trolley load and a few

> hundred quid worse off but with a big grin on my

> face and weeks of joyous cooking to follow

I went there a few years back and bought masses of stuff, intending to cook all sorts of interesting dishes.

Trouble was I never did, and most of it went past its use by date and got binned.

In future I'm just deciding on recipes first and then buying the ingredients for them :))