Tesco and Carrier Bags

nxjen

I?ve just been charged 10p for a carrier bag in Tescos. I asked whether they had any 5p bags but I was told it was the law now they were only able to sell the 10p bags. Is this in fact correct? Whilst this was proposed last year, I can?t see any confirmation that it is law yet. I have no objection to paying the 10p, my objection is that retailers are quoting a law that doesn?t exist.

It is apparently the plan for the price to rise to 10p but not until January 2020. They can charge what they like but they can't tell you this law is already in effect, because it isn't.

But we should all really try not to buy them at all.

?But we should all really try not to buy them at all.?

I know, I know ... and I know I should keep a carrier bag in my bag just in case I decide to do some unplanned shopping but we are fallible.

Could you not just carry your sandwich in the packet in your hand? Needed a bag? M&S sandwiches come boxed/sealed don't they?

ETA: Think I get it now - re read and you didn't actually want a bag. Stand down...

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Same in M&S in Holborn - I gave the manager a

> dirty look after putting my sandwich in a huge

> bag.

>

> They want us to use our own I think which I will

> try to.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No - the law is a minimum of 5p per bag, so

> technically you were advised incorrectly.

>

No ?technically? about it, I was advised incorrectly

I like the net bags (except for things which may fall through the holes!)

They are light and easy to carry as they take up virtually no room, but expand to hold a lot.

I used to use those nylon (?) ones which fold up into a tiny bag. Until the day I put keys in them, and the keys made a hole in the bag and dropped out through the hole. Somewhere in Penge :))

Unluckily they were somebody else's keys. Luckily they didn't have any identifying features. Ooops.