Forum Sponsors

www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

Pippa's Guardians

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageRecycled plastic - London Borough of Southwark
Posted by trinidad June 11, 08:22PM

Did anyone watch the BBC program last night at 9pm regarding plastic waste / recycling?

I am keen to know what Southwark / Veola do with my recycled plastic????

--------------------
The hottest place in the world

messageRe: Recycled plastic - London Borough of Southwark
Posted by bubbachumps June 11, 08:42PM

Not sure about Southwark but my Dad works in this field. Apparently as a country we don't have the facilities to recycle all the plastic waste we produce - there is not a market for the end product and no money in it. As a result only a small proportion of the UK's plastic waste is actually recycled as we would expect it to. We just need to use less and stop buying it. The supermarkets make it very hard though, we need to put more pressure on them.

Posted by trinidad June 11, 08:48PM

So, as i like most fill my wheelie bin with plastic each week - if it cant be recycled, why am I encourage to do this, what what happens to it?

--------------------

Posted by pipsky2008 June 11, 09:45PM

trinidad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, as i like most fill my wheelie bin with
> plastic each week - if it cant be recycled, why am
> I encourage to do this, what what happens to it?

Why not ask a direct question to your ward councillor concerned

Posted by trinidad June 11, 10:25PM

Any idea how to locate her or him?

--------------------

Posted by sheff June 11, 10:49PM

Empty ships?! Good old Southwark,,

“However, sometimes, we export materials on what otherwise would be empty ships to make new products in another country. This could happen when there is not much demand at the time in the UK for those materials.”

In other words they flog some, no questions asked to Malaysia, Philippines etc now China won’t take it

Posted by mynamehere June 12, 07:38AM

trinidad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any idea how to locate her or him?

[moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by katanita June 12, 11:54AM

Veolia have been quite response when I've asked questions in the past on twitter [twitter.com], if you want to try them there, or on other channels [www.veolia.co.uk]. They also have an open day in September [www.veolia.co.uk].

Posted by peckman June 18, 12:03AM

They proudly announce on a sign leaving the tip that 100 percent of waste doesnt go to landfill

Posted by gather June 18, 11:04AM

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago, with our friends from Plastic Free Peckham (and there is a brilliant Plastic Free East Dulwich group too), we went to see Southwark and Veolia's massive waste and recycling operation - www.instagram.com/p/Bxy9jj1Htbv. It's genuinely state of the art and we've been impressed by Veolia's approach on this, but it's still hugely difficult, with contamination a particular challenge. The BBC programme has, rightly, brought more attention to this, just as Attenborough and others have before, so hopefully Southwark will feel even more pressure to do the best they can.

Of course, the ideal is not using single-use plastic at all, and as little plastic as possible. And soon you'll have a new local option for shopping that way - our zero waste / refillery store Gather opens (fingers crossed) later this month on Bellenden Road. And also hope, once a bit more settled, to be hosting talks, workshops, get-togethers etc to keep this conversation going.

Thanks all

Posted by hpsaucey June 18, 11:13AM

There’s also Bring Your Own in Nunhead which I know’s been mentioned on other threads. Go armed with clean bags and bottles or you can get them there. Including wine and make your own peanut butter! See here:

[bringyourownuk.com]

HP

Posted by katanita June 18, 11:22AM

And also a zero waste/bring your own shop at 2 Girls Cafe in Peckham, small but lots of good stuff (and a nice stop for a vegan lunch too)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 18, 11:23am by katanita.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum