Interview advice for the NHS

se22cat

So I have an interview for an admin position at an NHS hospital and *really* want the job. Corny as it may sound, having experienced care for some long term conditions I think the thought that ones job can actually help improve the lives of others, albeit in a tiny way compared to the actual medical staff is something that will continually inspire me to do my very best.

I have never had an interview with them before and this would be a life changing experience, getting back into work, so I want to do my best and get the job.

If anyone who works for the NHS could offer some interview advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

I can advise you what not to do. A few years ago having taking redundancy, I was looking for another perm job. I got an interview for this (admin) role at (is it) Chelsea Hospital(?). I really didn't prepare well enough, in that although I had loads of the required experience,I didn't research anything about the hospital.

The two ladies who interviewed me weren't impressed, and needless to say I didn't get the job. Good luck with the interview.

Totally agree with Alan Medic. Find out as much as possible about the hospital and the job (though that applies to any job interview really).

They will probably ask you at the end if you have any questions, so maybe a good idea to prepare something which shows you have done that research (if you don't get a chance to demonstrate it during the rest of the interview).

Also - I was probably very unlucky, but many moons ago I was offered an NHS hospital job verbally and told a salary verbally, on the basis of which I turned down another job I had been offered.

When I got the written stuff, the salary was lower than I had been told, and quite a bit less than the job I had turned down. I was told there was nothing I could do about it.

Being rather less assertive in those days, I did indeed do nothing about it. And was working for the person who had made the mistake, which wasn't a happy experience as their attitude re the salary turned out to be par for the course.

Hey ho.

The happy ending was that not too long afterwards I got a non NHS job in the same field earning three times as much :)

Anyway, I suppose what I am saying is make sure you get everything in writing before taking any decisions.

Good luck!

Go back to the original job ad and person specification. Review their core requirements and ask yourself how you would give examples of these competencies with evidence form your previous experience.

As others have said look at the hospital website and the HR/Recruitment pages. What are their published core values -think about these and how you match them and when you demonstrated these values.

Make sure you know where the interview is taking place. Leave lots of time to get there. Best to sit with a coffee nearby gathering your thoughts than stressing on a bus stuck in traffic with 15 minutes to your slot!

ETA: Link - https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/advice/interview_manage.html

Good luck

Give examples with real results - for instance, don't say "I'm really good at patient care", say, "when I worked at xxx I introduced some new methods of working which notably improved patient care in my area - my manager's thanked me for this and I showed other people what I did"

so, not just what you did - but the impact it had, how you dealt with real situations - and the result.

Sorry - but I don't ' know about NHS interviews, but I imagine they would want to learn what you could bring...

I'd suggest using the line about being inspired by the other NHS colleagues and also have thoughts prepared on what your experience out of work taught you about yourself, your life and work and people. Take a second or two to answer and look at both/all the people on the panel. You sound keen and eager so all the best!

It can be especially scary going for a job interview when you've been out of the work place for some time. Remember it's ok to utilise your life experiences, as well as previous work experiences. Interviewers usually like interviewees to demonstrtae skills by providing examples. If you can't think of a work one, try and think of one in your personal life, such as if asked for an example Of strategies you've used to manage challenging behaviour, you will likely to have experienced this in your every day life. What skills did you use to calm things.

Be familiar with the job description and personal specification and as said above, think what you can bring to the job and team.

Good luck1

Thank you to everyone who has replied. There's lots of great advice I will be digesting it over the weekend and making a written plan to take on mentally for the interview ahead, I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to post. Thank you all for the wishes of good luck, too :)

One of the best pieces of advice I was given about interviews was turn the tables and take the perspective you?re actually interviewing them to see if you would actually want to work for them, helps with confidence amazzingly., but as others have said be as prepared as possible know about the organisation and the job as much as possible. Be prepared for cringe questions like give an example of how you dealt with conflict, giving an example, name 3 good things about yourself. Good luck

When I worked for the NHS years ago they had Pay Grades (I was A&C Grade 4) and guaranteed increments every year until you got to the top of the grade. So if you know the grade you can look up the range.

Maybe ask what a current member of the team would say is good (or bad) about the job.

What about the NHS structure - I remember separation of purchaser and provider and formation of trusts but that was so long ago, but the trust must provide services to somebody maybe more than one.

Also - don't assume that because you know a lot about something, that the interviewers will know that.

I once didn't get a job (I found out afterwards) because I didn't give enough information in response to a question. It seemed so obvious to me that I didn't say it.

On the other hand, don't witter on for ages once you have fully answered the question. Easy to do when you're nervous!

If you Google "questions asked at NHS admin interviews" you'll get some useful info. Confidentiality, data protection, diversity, the trust/hospital values and how you would deal with someone who is angry/wants to complain or asks for info about someone else. If I haven't been told, I ask who will be on the panel and try and find out about them. I often ask what the interviewers like about the dept/trust. Good luck!

Most NHS admin jobs include computer work - are you up on Excel/ emails/other programmes. You may wish to find out what systems you would need to use i.e Patient Records etc.

Would you have access to training courses to increase your knowledge. Times of work - many NHS workers now cover weekends or evenings would you be required to do this.

Thanks everyone for the additional points to consider and look up. Thankfully, I'm really good with computers and to make sure I could prove I am up to date, took several short courses at the excellent Mary Ward center to brush up. Luckily, being in ED,doing unsocial hours isn't an issue, just wish TFL had listened to us and not butchered the no 40!!

Thanks again to everyone that posted, it really is much appreciated.