Southwark Licensing Advice

happyduck

Hi All

I've asked this before but I'm not a bit further down the line.

I'm applying for an additional License (Not an HMO) from Southwark Council. I am renting to 4 people (not 5 which requires an HMO) and am outside the designated areas.

I have smoke alarms and CO2 detecters on all floors of my house. They are battery operated and working perfectly.

In order to complete the application on the Southwark Website I need to provide a Fire Detection System Certificate.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how I get one. The Estate Agent is sending in an electrician. It seems to be I'm paying in ?100 for someone to press the check buttons on 4 smoke alarms. Can that be right?

Any advice on all this would be great. It's doing my head in.

Daisy

Happyduck,

Are you questioning:

- the size of the bill for a professional visit?

- whether an authorised person is required to provide a certificate, or can you do it yourself?

- whether battery detectors are acceptable to the Council, or must they be mains-connected, and inter-linked?

MarkT

Hi Daisy

Your property is an additional hmo (smaller hmo for three or four persons) Mandatory hmos are for five or more unrelated persons. Most London local authorities consult with the London fire brigade and refer to Lacors guidance (google it) look at category A hmos from page 43. Single or two storey hmos usually require mains fed interlinked smoke detectors, three storey hmos require a full automatic fire detection system with a control panel. You normally need half hour fire doors throughout with intumescent strips/cold smoke seals and self closers.

Best to speak to an enforcement officer at Southwark Council to be absolutely sure.