Car breakdown cover

Sue

Can anybody recommend cheap but reliable breakdown cover, including HomeStart?

MoneySavingExpert always recommends AutoAid, but they have terrible reviews elsewhere by people who have used them, and when I phoned them recently with a query I was less than impressed with the person on the other end of the phone.

I have been with them in the past, but then I hadn't actually needed to call them out .....

I'd rather pay a bit more and get an efficient service if I need it (which I hope I won't).

Get a Flex Plus account with Nationwide and it is part of the deal - with Britannia and they are fine

Paid account but with free travel insurance, interest rates and breakdown just worth it. Much better value when I first took it out.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and thanks also to the people who PMed me.

I have had a really good quote for Green Flag's Recovery Plus option via my insurance company (Direct Line) which appears to be less than a third what I'd pay if I bought it online via Green Flag's website (will double check I've got this right, obv :)) )

I've been with Green Flag in the past and they've been fine, but they've got very mixed reviews online. However the complaints seem to be more about delays in getting through to their office for admin matters, rather than their actual operational and breakdown service (they use local garages, but so do many others).

Has anybody used them when they broke down, and if so were they reasonably quick and efficient?

Ha ha the person I spoke to at Direct Line had made a mistake, however they are honouring the breakdown quote she gave me for Green Flag, so I'm getting Recovery Plus for ?24 for the coming year :)

Plus any admin stuff I can do through Direct Line, so all good :)

Now let's hope I don't break down (or the car .... :)) )

An offer you can't refuse. I've been with Green Flag for a few years and have used them twice (once for my car and the other for my wife's). Excellent service on both occasions. From memory the first time was a local recovery firm working on behalf of GF. The second was a GF vehicle.