To Americans in ed

Spartacus

You've got no problem with Divali fireworks I assume , or end of Eid ? I also assume you wouldn't make such a comment about those for fear of not being PC.

There are people of many nationalities and cultures in British society. Americans as well.

I agree 10pm is quite late, but it is summer and it gets dark very late doesn't it.

I know no one has mentioned dogs here, but it has always bewildered me when people get on their high horse about people setting off fireworks on Guy Fawkes night, saying they shouldn't be doing so because their precious dog doesn't like it.

Right, so everyone should stop doing a hundreds of years old tradition just to please you and your dog....

I didn't hear any fireworks... luckily!!

I like America a lot, though (and, quite often, Americans). I don't know about having "so little that's real". Blues, rock n' roll, jazz, punk, soul. Joseph Heller, Philip K Dick, Hunter S Thompson. Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino. Bill Hicks. Richard Pryor. Texas BBQ, steaks, rueben-on-rye, key lime pie... state fairs, craft beer. Stunning scenery from cowboy country to wine country... secluded islands and beaches, to epic mountains.

OK so the sports are terrible, and the cars aren't very good and going round corners. I still struggle a bit with country music. And they keep on electing morons. But you can't have everything.

If no one has bothered to mention it then why do so..? Trying to start some fireworks of your own are you.. :0)

Just because something is a ?hundreds of years old tradition? as you phrase it, doesn?t make it necessarily a good thing..!

umdinger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know no one has mentioned dogs here, but it has

> always bewildered me when people get on their high

> horse about people setting off fireworks on Guy

> Fawkes night, saying they shouldn't be doing so

> because their precious dog doesn't like it.

>

> Right, so everyone should stop doing a hundreds of

> years old tradition just to please you and your

> dog....

Interesting thread, when I worked in the States our neighbours placed signs out reminding people that a lot of veterans suffer with PTSD and fireworks wasn't necessary for a good celebration to take place.

We often forget about human suffering when it comes to fireworks. 11am is far too late on a week night with children due at school. If it was Friday or Saturday then maybe, with an apology note / sign, / sign placed where immediate neighbours can see would have been the decent way to deal with this although I'm sure no upset was meant.

I'm so very sorry this hindered on your quiet-time sensibilities. Sadly, my British neighbors don't respect this American's right to a peaceful night's sleep after 10pm either with their loud laughter (gasp) and shouting matches well past 11pm for...O.M.G. - 2 nights in a ROW! I guess we all have a cross to bear with those pesky, noisy, celebrating neighbors.

Happy Independence Day America!

Yours truly,

An American Ex-Pat.

Sue Wrote:

> I can't remember which country or city it was, but

> somewhere has recently brought in a law (I think)

> that only fireworks which don't make a noise can

> be used.

>

> A reasonable compromise??

It's in Italy...it's a brilliant idea because the whole point of them is the appearance. The noise is awful. When those horrible ones that sound like bombs came out I felt sorry for the older people who had lived through the war.

seenbeen Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I can't remember which country or city it was,

> but

> > somewhere has recently brought in a law (I

> think)

> > that only fireworks which don't make a noise

> can

> > be used.

> >

> > A reasonable compromise??

> It's in Italy...it's a brilliant idea because the

> whole point of them is the appearance. The noise

> is awful. When those horrible ones that sound like

> bombs came out I felt sorry for the older people

> who had lived through the war.

Bangers must be a bit rubbish then.

UG - why, what SHOULD the ambassador have said in his appraisal of Trump and the administration ?

The ambassador had a view and somebody leaked it. The job of the ambassador is to represent the U.K., if he has concerns with the host country he?s supposed to highlight it to Govt. as clearly as he can. Which is what he did.