Forum Sponsors

Your Local Personal Trainer

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messagere: care home fees running out - solicitor specialising in community care law wanted
Posted by Minitoots July 08, 04:53PM

I'm asking around to see if anyone can recommend a solicitor specialising in community care law. I'm also getting in touch with a couple of charities dealing in help for the elderly but thought it would be useful to have a direct recommendation of someone in that specific field too.
To cut a long story short, my parents are both in a residential care home in Gloucestershire and have been self-funding after selling their house but their funds have nearly run out.
I've just had a call from their newly assigned case worker to say that after reading their care plan notes from the home, she thinks it is unlikely that the local council will consider funding either of them. We thought this might be the case with my Mum but my Dad has dementia and is 96, and we can't imagine how he would cope in sheltered housing especially as Glos has hardly anything even with a warden on site, let alone any night staff.
My brother and I are trying to get as much information on the situation before attending the assessments in about a week.
thanks for any suggestions. I posted a similar question re: care home fees a while ago and got very helpful and informative replies from Pugwash and TE44 in case it's relevant to anyone else.Here's the link to that thread:-

messageRe: re: care home fees running out - solicitor specialising in community care law wanted
Posted by Pugwash July 11, 06:41PM

Are you a member of Which? You can join their Legal Helpline for a year for a basic fee and they will give you advice via email etc.

Some end stage dementia can result in physical changes i.e. difficulty in eating/swallowing - needing pureed food. Medication needed to be provided anally/via syringe - which requires a nurse rather than a carer to assist. Poor swallowing requiring regular suctioning?

Check up on the Continuing Care Guidelines - as possible in some cases to get NHS funding.

Under the Care Act your parents are eligible for an Independent Advocate - check with Glos. Advice centre.

messageRe: re: care home fees running out - solicitor specialising in community care law wanted
Posted by Pugwash July 11, 06:58PM

Reading you message again - I am surprised that Glos. Social Worker would indicate that neither of them would qualify for LA funding. Did you look at the various sections of the Care Act 2014 which lays out the eligibility criteria ? I will look at the documents I have on my system to see if I can see anything that will help. Community Care magazine is pretty good for test cases. Sometimes I keep copies to use for teaching purposes. If I find anything -will contact you again.

Irwin Mitchell Solicitors do a lot of work with Older people and seem to specialise in Community Care and Safeguarding Adults ( I have been on courses run by them in London) may be worth a try ringing them up.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum