Flying Ants 2019 Version

Seabag

I?ve just had a winged ant 🐜 land in my hair. Have you seen any yet?

Apart from ?????-(*add whatever fav event here), daffodil season and Shrove Tuesday, it?s probably my favourite time/date of the year.

Apart from queuing up for cheese that I won?t eat at Xmas at Cheeze Blok / Mons.

Wee ooo eek ewww ...?Is it ok to tip a boiling kettle down their nest hole? Or is that deemed a no no??

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Wee ooo eek ewww ...?Is it ok to tip a boiling

> kettle down their nest hole? Or is that deemed a

> no no??

From what I remember from school, they build the entrance of their nest to be rain proof, bit like a u bend in the toilet, so you will get a few near the entrance but the rest will be sitting there plotting their revenge on the death of Adam , Adam 2, Adam 3, Adam 4....

Best trick is to pour ant powder into the hole and they will take it in to the nest which will kill most of them. But beware of stray dogs, cats and foxes who like to lick it ...

They will be gone in a few days, setting up their new nests for next year so better still leave them to it as they do provide a valuable cleansing service against aphids and other annoying little bugs

I have my flying ants indoors in May - every year since I moved here. I think there are nests under the house. This year I started my preparation early in March/April and didn't get nearly as many as the hoardes I have had in kitchen & bathroom in the past.

However, I heard my neighbour talking flying ants in his garden yesterday so they're definitely about.

I think there are two colonies of ants, both currently trying to access our premises from the garden, via any available gap. One set of wingless, one set of winged. Luckily, copious amounts of various anti-ant products both sides of the perimeter seem to be keeping both at bay for now...

If you locate the nest, the worst thing you can do is try to destroy it. It just seems to scatter them, and they form lots of smaller sub-colonies.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

> On the weather on BBC just now they mentioned

> flying ant swarms are showing up on the weather

> radar 🤔

claims they can "be seen from space" now (is the story gathering steam)- maybe the space ants will come.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/18/uk/flying-ant-day-uk-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

"Mobs of the insects descend on locations around Britain on one day every summer. The creatures sweep in and take up residence on streets, green land and in the skies before disappearing hours later."

Seabag Wrote:

> News Flash:

>

> Flants in 7 Oaks today

>

> As an aside, did you know there?s 8 Oaks on the

> perimeter of Seven Oaks cricket pitch?

>

> There you go, ants and cricket in one post

I remember during the great storm of 1987 one of the news articles was that six of the seven oaks fell.

Maybe they replanted ?

JohnL Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > News Flash:

> >

> > Flants in 7 Oaks today

> >

> > As an aside, did you know there?s 8 Oaks on the

> > perimeter of Seven Oaks cricket pitch?

> >

> > There you go, ants and cricket in one post

>

> I remember during the great storm of 1987 one of

> the news articles was that six of the seven oaks

> fell.

>

> Maybe they replanted ?

I was there only yesterday, eating a picnic lunch

There?s now 8 Oaks on the green there 😂