Couch to 5K

Sue

I regularly (Daily) walk 5,000 to 8,000 steps. Measured.

8,000 steps Is nearly 5K.

I went to Brighton last week and walked 19,000 steps.

Despite being able to walk these steps in 25 deg temp. I cannot actually run more than 50 metres.

My legs just give up. It's not a breathing problem.

For someone that used to dance and leap about after 5-6 pints of ale it is all very frustraing.

It is something that has got progressivly worse as I get older. My doctor assures me that it's normal

then I see 80 year olds running the Marathon.

Foxy

Couch to 5K is specifically designed to get people who don't/can't run much at all working up to it gradually over nine weeks.

In the first week, you only do 60 seconds of running at a time, interspersed with 90 seconds of walking, for 20 minutes.

I haven't dared look beyond that :))

I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow to double check I'm OK to do it.

But I'd rather do it in a group as I think I would be less likely to drop out halfway.

I don't think I'll start while it's so hot, though :)

I'm in same boat, Sue. It seems most people either do by themselves or with work colleagues as a bit of a joint project. But never been able to find something for those with no will power to do alone or who don't have a readily available group. Especially for those of us on the firmly 'unfit' side?

Thanks all. Yes far too hot to start now :)

Will check out Dulwich Runners.

Had to run for the 185 yesterday when I forgot the bus stop outside the Post Office was closed.

Did catch it, though :))

Not so long ago, simply running one minute for a bus or train would make me exhausted to the point of nausea. While I'm never going to be much of a runner, I can now at least run/jog 10K in relative comfort.. or squeeze out 800m in 3 mins, which probably puts me above average.

Anyway, my point is, jog/walk intervals are a decent way to start. But I would suggest that you can build it up at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Sticking with the habit of doing it frequently is more important than hitting weekly targets. Also, different people run/jog at different speeds, and gradually decreasing the walk intervals doesn't necessarily translate to a non-stop 5K at the end of the plan.

Another thing that a lot of people find, is that after achieving 5K, it can be tough to take that onto longer distances. I know I did. They key for me was to mix it up. Going back to the walk/run intervals, and sometimes attempting a steady-paced non-stop run, and sometimes doing gym stuff instead (running is pretty hard on the joints, and gym equipment makes it very easy to measure your performance).

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have a look at this Sue, I think you can walk if

> you want..

>

> https://www.parkrun.org.uk/dulwich/

Thanks Ruffers, I don't think I can do 5k straight off, but it would be good once I'm a few weeks in!

GP says I've got to actually go to the surgery and be checked over :(

Then I've got to sort out running shoes. Which I have just found out are exorbitantly expensive, grammar.

But hey, now I've posted on here I've got no excuse not to do it, have I? :)

snoopy17 Wrote:

> What sort of running shoes are best, I currently

> run in converse which are not ideal.

I've been recommended by a friend to a small running shop in Beckenham who can advise me.

However another friend says I can expect to pay around ?90 for a decent pair (AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH) and that cheaper shoes are not advisable because they don't give enough support (especially at your aka my ancient age, she didn't add).

Out with my credit card, then :))

snoopy17 Wrote:

> What sort of running shoes are best, I currently

> run in converse which are not ideal.

You've got to be kidding me. You'll cripple yourself carrying on like that.

If you can afford it, go to a running shop for advice. Otherwise, do what fox says, go to decathlon and buy whatever feels comfortable and supportive.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Try Decathlon Surrey Quays. Canada Water Train

> direct from Peckham Rye, P12 Bus

>

> 100's of Shoes Walking, Running, Jogging Expert

> Beginners, All Sizes.

>

> Huge Price range. You can try them on.

>

> Best Value. No need to Spend ?90 You should find

> something ?30 - ?50 that would be adequate.

>

> Foxy

>

> https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-923900-walking-trai

> ners#page2

Unfortunately trying them on isn't enough. You need the most supportive for your feet, so you need to go to a place that has you run/walk on a treadmill, to check your gait etc.

It's the most important bit of kit to get right!

Hi Sue, I completed the couch to 5k in 2017, just before my 50th birthday, ... lead me to carry on running, and this year so far I have ran 4 half marathons, two 10k races, and the London Marathon ( something I would have laughed in the face of anyone two years ago who said that would happen)

I also recommend decathlon, I got my first shoes there, the have their own brand as well, their own brand goes up in scale to your ability, the staff are really helpful, and they have a piece of equipment you run on, like a long rubber mat connected to a screen, which tracks your gait so you can be advised on the best type to get...I really wouldn't run too long in your converse, as you might end up with tendon damage or painful feet, believe me I know from experience from when I first started.

there is also a new local running group called "the East Dulwich runners" ( different from the Dulwich runners) you can find them on instagram, just a small group of locals who meet up in the East dulwich tavern and concentrate on 5k runs in the area.

Good luck with the app, its well worth it, I lost my middle age spread, high cholesterol, and feel so much better mentally ... good tip is to have a great playlist as you go (which can be played while running on the app)