Bike tyres

Earl Aelfheah

So I know nothing about bike ?kit? / maintenance (I just commute on one) and I?m looking for a bit of advice... just paid to have a puncture fixed (back wheel). The shop advised me to replace the tyre. When I got home I realised that the new tyre looks quite a bit thinner than the front one (35 back, vs 42 front I think). I just assumed that they?d replace like for like, but now I have a fat tyre on front and a thin one at the back (it?s a hybrid). Is this an issue in terms of effecting how things work / the bike will handle or should I not worry about it? Thanks for your help.

Not an issue from a handling perspective but you may find the ride a little harder as the thinner tyre is very slightly less "bouncy". They should have replaced like-for-like, or at least asked you if it was ok not to. I suspect that they didn't have a 42 in stock as they are less common. You say that they fixed the puncture, hmm, if you were paying for a new tyre then I would have thought they would have given you a new tube as well. Not a major issue but a new tube is pretty cheap tbh and not much more than the cost of fixing the puncture I would have thought.

What brand of tyre did they fit on the back ? Others my have their view on the best brands but I have always fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to my bike that I use for commuting into town daily, year round and I'm tempting fate but I cannot remember the last time I had a puncture.

They're about ?20 each.

Sorry, I wasn?t clear. I meant a new tube, they didn?t patch the existing one. The tyres are continental. I don?t think it?s a big issue just looks a bit weird having a fatter tyre at the front. I am surprised they didn?t mention that it would be a different size. Thanks for your response.

You might find it's a problem in the wet as 'slick' tyres have less grip than the fatter, knobbly ones, especially as the back wheel is more prone to slip as it carries more weight, thus why it usually wears down first. I use Balfes and they have always talked through what they are going to do and why...

Still a bit confused what actually they have done ? Personally i think its always best to have same tyres on both wheels .. and the fatter one if for some reason is thats the choice should be on back . My guess if it is a tyre is they gave you what they had in stock . Probably obvious thinner , slicker equals faster but harder ride and more prone to punctures

To be clear, they replaced the inner tube and the back tyre (following a puncture). The new tyre is thinner than the one it replaced and thinner than the tyre on the front wheel. I agree with you peckman - It would make more sense to have the fatter tyre on the back if they are to be different.

sally buying Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you are happy get them to change it. It's your

> life that is a stake.

Odd comment. All to do with the surface area contact with the road and the level of resistance (adhesion). A function of tyre tread, tyre compound, tyre profile, pressure, temperature and the road surface including rain, snow and ice. Not simply size of tyre. Not sure if a patronising or inane comment helps.

Safety also depends on the way you ride, where you ride, and the behaviour of other road users.

Basically . This is it . There should be no reason why you should have different width tyres on any domestic bike and perhaps not unless you are going mud mountaing biking in wales . Any decent bike shop shop replace like for like. Who was the bike shop ?

Tbh you probably wont notice it if you are pootling around on a hybrid but certainly and self respecting bike shop should swap size for size .. discussion re tyre brands and compounds can go on and on but previous posts ys a good one .. something with some grip but nit slick !

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think it's a big issue, but they should

> have spoken to me first if they didn't have the

> same tyres in stock (or flagged it up when I

> picked the bike up at least). Anyway, having

> reflected on it I decided to sent them an email

> voicing my mild displeasure. I'll see whether they

> respond.

OMG

What is the point of this thread?

Other than to inform people you had a different tyre fitted to your bicycle, not the same as previously on there, and although you know it isn?t quite right, it?s also not quite wrong enough to actually do anything about.

Other than sending them an email voicing your ?mild displeasure? and posting this on the EDF it?s all over now, yes?!

Being a bit pedantic, and slightly tangential but this:

"You might find it's a problem in the wet as 'slick' tyres have less grip than the fatter, knobbly ones, especially as the back wheel is more prone to slip as it carries more weight.."

is a common mistake. On a bike slick tyres grip better in the wet than knobbly ones, and carrying more weight also means more grip, not less. In both cases, more rubber in contact with the road = more grip. The only reason to have a tread if you're on a hard surface is to disperse water and avoid aquaplaning, but you'll struggle to go fast enough on a bike for that to be an issue. Knobbly tyres are only useful on soft/loose surfaces.