My feathered friend

savvygirl

Yesterday I had a pigeon come into my living room. He was perched on the fire guard. The French doors were open so he obviously thought he'd come in. I tried shooing him out, but he hopped from there onto the sofa and eventually made his way out. He was not a racing pigeon nor a wood pigeon, just a common grey garden pigeon. This morning, there he was again outside, perched on the rung of a garden chair. The cats (I have two) took no notice of him, all pals together it seems! I sat for a while in the garden chair and talked to him - he just stared at me with his beady eye! He's disappeared now but I'm wondering if he'll be back. I'm now concerned to leave the doors open if I'm not in the room which isn't what you need or want in these hot temperatures. I've now put water in a dish for him in case he was thirsty. You can easily forget about water for the birds when it is so hot and dry.

savvygirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's great Sue. I daresay they might have a bath

> in it too!

Hopefully they won't come into the house though :))

Carrying a fox out of my neighbour's house a year or so back was bad enough, and he couldn't fly :))

This is the risk when leaving a door open while you're elsewhere in the house. I think a fox would freak me out big time! I know they don't like cats, so maybe my cats are useful after all. They were bog all use where the pigeon was concerned! Haha!

Best to keep doors and windows closed with blinds/curtains shut when it's hot, otherwise you're just letting in warm air and heating up the room. However, if you have sash windows open them equally a few inches top and bottom and it will keep the room cooler, all to do with physics and equalised pressure...

That's interesting. I'll give that a go with the bedroom windows. My bay window, which is sash, hasn't been opened in an age. I'm not going to risk that as it's too near the road! No further sign of the pigeon. It will be interesting to see if he turns up tomorrow.

I had wood pigeons coming daily for a while. We put water down and stale bread crumbs for them on our garden tiles. The woodies are a bit too big for our feeders.

Our cats are thoroughly uninterested. Haha! Pigeons would be too much work for them I suspect. They'd prefer a mouse.

I haven't seen the pigeons for a while. Many birds are moulting in the late summer and spend more time roosting. Smaller birds only started returning to our feeders early in the mornings recently.

They've never come in the house. But they will eye you expectantly if there's no seed/ crumbs in the garden!