weird random question

shoshntosh

shoshntosh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> will smoking (tobacco cigarettes) in public ever

> be outlawed?

>

I bloody wish it would.

You sit outside a bar because of the lovely weather, only to have to go inside again because of smoke blowing in your face.

Smokers should be made to all sit together in enclosures, so they can breathe in their own and others' smoke to their heart's content. Or rather, their heart's discontent.

I'm an ex-smoker, btw. We are the worst :))

Hawaii is attempting to reduce tobacco smoking by systematically raising the sale age. This article is from Feb, not sure how the legislation is going now.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi2sIGHuKjkAhVLVsAKHacCDU8QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-us-canada-47129503&psig=AOvVaw3TeWUT_OR0hXOID4w956JR&ust=1567180394586323

It seems so wrong that someone should be allowed to blow a known carcinogen and pollutant right into my face as I'm walking down the street minding my own business, particularly given I'm asthmatic.

As for the NHS refusing to treat -- I suppose people (like my dad) will just lie about whether they smoke.

Furthermore drinking alcohol takes up a lot of NHS resource as well -- as does obesity. All things we (by & large) do to ourselves!

I don't know the answer(s) -- just wondering if I'm the only one annoyed that smoking is still around/legal given the pollution problems/particulate matter and given the climate crisis (quite beyond the personal health impacts).

shoshntosh Wrote:

>

just wondering if

> I'm the only one annoyed that smoking is still

> around/legal given the pollution

> problems/particulate matter and given the climate

> crisis (quite beyond the personal health impacts).

No you're not.

I'm annoyed too.

At least alcohol consumption generally only harms the drinker (unless it leads to physical or verbal violence, which usually it doesn't).

Drinkers aren't forcing those around them to drink, whereas smokers are forcing those around them to inhale their smoke.

I think smoking should be banned in all public places except maybe certain smoking areas (as they used to have in workplaces, don't know if they still do).

But looking on the bright side, at least it's now banned on public transport. You can go upstairs on buses without risking asphyxiation.

ETA: As regards the climate crisis, given the pretty pathetic response to it overall, it sadly doesn't surprise me that smoking hasn't been banned.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I find Vaping more offensive.

>

> Most smokers inhale their smoke. Vapers insist on

> creating clouds of billowing fumes.

As a former heavy smoker I am so glad to be able to vape.

Vaping involves... vapour. So given there's no smoke involved it's quite simply nowhere near as bad as smoking and the effects of passive vaping are in the UK deemed negligible. We have great quality control on the juice here too.

The deaths in the US seem to me likely caused by blackmarket equipment and juices, potentially containing THC and/or solvents. So no wonder.

I hope smoking does indeed fall out of fashion sooner rather than later!

With parents who both smoked since they were pre-teens I am as anti smoking as anyone

Anytime someone suggests pubs are struggling because of the smoking ban, I bristle

Like Shosh, I also hate the sudden invasion of smoke from cigarettes when I?m outside

However. Where we are now feels about right in terms of tolerance. Smokers have lost a lot of ground and pay through the nose to continue their habit. I?m inclined to leave them well alone. If smoke is bothering me now I just move. I think they have done their bit

Ha. I did say compromise with insanity was no good. But as a general rule compromise can be very effective (hello Northern Ireland border)

Smokers aren?t going to single-handedly take the country over a cliff!

(Although I?d be interested in a Venn diagram of referendum voting and smoking habits ;-))