Is a WiFi signal booster a thing?

binkylilyput

See now Bob Buzzard, that?s the kind of kit I saw on Amazon.....but then I confused myself. I was thinking do I really need to extend the signal, as opposed to make it stronger? The flat is real small and hardly any distance between WiFi box and Tv.

Please un-confuse me!

When you say ?placed?.....is it plugged into a phone socket? Or does it just hang out, un-attached, all independent like?!

When I was with Sky, I called them about the same issue and they went through the usual checks then said the only thing I could do is get a longer wire for the WiFi router and move it even closer to the tv.....which was not possible for me to do. I wonder why they didn?t just tell me to get a booster?

binklilyput - you are correct there are a number of different issues here you need to eliminate:

1. Base signal strength - you can test this by turning off your mobile data on your phone, ensuring your phone is connected to your flat wifi, stand next to your router and google "google speed test " . Click start test and it will give you your download and upload speed in mbps. You ideally want at least 5 mbps - 10mbps or more is enough for streaming to one device.

2. How this signal and your router performs in your flat. Run the speedtest again then start walking away from your router and watch how the speed changes depending on your location. You may need to run the test a few times but it gives you a base "heat map" of how your signal is performing in your specific flat. Is it weak in the room you need?

3. If the base signal strength is decent then you just need an extender but before you buy, check to see which are compatible with your router's signal type. Many of these are super easy to set up - they plug can plug directly into the mains and sync with your router using the WPS buttons on each device. If not , manual set up is required but it will have instructions telling you how to do it and is quite easy. If the router is newish then most should be but check. If the base signal itself is poor then you may need either a booster, or just swap the router for a better one.

Try experimenting with the position of the router, even at the same distance; or the orientation of its aerial. It's seemed to me that even radio waves find some paths easier than others.

Channel selection strategy might be worth thinking about; see eg: https://superuser.com/questions/1308736/should-wifi-routers-be-set-to-a-channel-or-choose-automatically/1308847.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Try experimenting with the position of the router,

> even at the same distance; or the orientation of

> its aerial. It's seemed to me that even radio

> waves find some paths easier than others.

>

That's what I did when I started working on my laptop in another room further from the router.

It took a while to find the right place for the router, but it's all fine now.

If the above advice fails then then simplest solution would be a wired connection to your (presumably smart TV or laptop ?) . You probably won't want to trail a cable from your router so you could look at using one of the ethernet-over-the-mains type arrangements. You need a pair and one is plugged into the mains next to your router and connected using a short ethernet cable, then you have another one in your living room and you have another ethernet cable that connects it to your TV/Laptop. However if the device you're using to watch netflix only supports a wifi connection and not a wired connection then this won't be an option for you !

• 9 months later...