Best Pizza in ED?

Humdinger

Hi guys,

with the openings of Sylvester and 500 Degrees, its great that ED has finally got some decent places to get an affordable pizza, having not previously had anywhere before.

Has anyone tried the ones in Sylvester yet? What is the best pizza in ED?

Humdinger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi guys,

>

> with the openings of Sylvester and 500 Degrees,

> its great that ED has finally got some decent

> places to get an affordable pizza, having not

> previously had anywhere before.

>

> Has anyone tried the ones in Sylvester yet? What

> is the best pizza in ED?

I do not eat Pizza but would say that Franco Manca seems pretty affordable

Haven't been myself.

Foxy

Tried 500 Degrees ED and it was amazing

We asked if we could host a 30th birthday dinner in there and the staff were extremely accommodating and all 25 peoples pizza came quick and hot!!

Franco Manca used to be my go too but I would have to say 500 Degrees is much better and has more options

Every time i walk past 500 degrees, which is every day (around 6pm) it is empty.

It smacks me as the sort of place where if you went in for a meal, your fellow diners would be large men in leathers and crash helmets, sitting nearby on their mobile phones only looking up to remonstrate with the staff about where their latest delivery has got to.

I have always found Dominos to be good value, now i think about it.

7-8 years ago there was about 6-7 curry joints on lordship lane (Dulwich tandoori, jaflong, surma, tandoori nights, curry cabin from memory) which have now been rationalized, now there's 6-7 pizza joints (Franco manca, 500 degrees, Sylvester, Firezza, the actress (not lordship lane), Olivelli (not strictly pizza), with papa John, dominos, the gowlett and voodoo rays not far away....theyeach serve something slightly different, but the worm will turn and it'll be something else in another 5 years.....

DulwichFox Wrote:

> would say that Franco Manca seems pretty affordable

Agreed, it is very well priced. BUT.. the last couple of times I went, it wasn't actually very good. Raw, doughy centres... not sure if it was because it wasn't cooked enough, or the sauce was too watery, or what. But they weren't very good at all.

Not tried the new 500 Degrees place. I like Gowlett, Mamma Dough (Queens rd), and 400 Rabbits (Nunhead). Voodoo Rays is a bit cack, but TBF I don't think it's trying to be gourmet. It's more of a bar with food.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > would say that Franco Manca seems pretty

> affordable

>

> Agreed, it is very well priced. BUT.. the last

> couple of times I went, it wasn't actually very

> good. Raw, doughy centres... not sure if it was

> because it wasn't cooked enough, or the sauce was

> too watery, or what. But they weren't very good at

> all.

>

> Not tried the new 500 Degrees place. I like

> Gowlett, Mamma Dough (Queens rd), and 400 Rabbits

> (Nunhead). Voodoo Rays is a bit cack, but TBF I

> don't think it's trying to be gourmet. It's more

> of a bar with food.

Voodoo's was great when they opened. Served massive pizzas with plenty of topping. As time has gone by they obviously decided that people were scoffing at paying 20quid for a pizza (even though they were more than double the size of Franco for example), and brought their pizza down to a standard size...Somewhere in the transition it has be become a bit average.

Firezza in here hill was our main option for 'fancy' pizza a few years ago, but it's got a lot of competition nowadays. Mamma dough is our go to now on deliveroo. But keen to try the 500 degrees.

Franco Manca for the more doughy Neapolitan style pizza.

Mamma dough (honour oak, peckham or Brixton) for thinner roman pizza.

I have tried 500 degrees and it's similar to FM, bit more variety of toppings but I prefer the dough very slighly at FM.

Pizza Pickup is also pretty good and reasonable.

Voodoo Rays is too trendy / expensive IMO..

Gowlett arms is also good and travels better than some of the other options.

mrwb Wrote:

> Franco Manca for the more doughy Neapolitan style pizza.

>

> Mamma dough (honour oak, peckham or Brixton) for thinner roman pizza.

I think Mamma Dough pizza is more like the sourdough Neapolitan style. Pizza Pickup is the crispier, thinner Roman style.

Any info on gluten free pizza at these joints? Voodoo Ray's gf is pretty good, Franco Manca used to be the best, unfortunately they changed supplier a few weeks back and the new base is awful (to the devastation of my 12yr old gluten allergy daughter😔).

Would love to know if any of the others cater for gf

Pizza Express has a pizza that was (advertised at something like) 30% less carbs, it was genius. Basically they cut a hole with a cookie cutter and removed the centre, then covered the 🕳 with rocket salad.

I have no idea if they still do that, but must have been hilarious being at the development meetings on that one

I really like Theo's in Camberwell and Mamma Dough in Peckham. Franco Manca great for the price but can get a bit samey if you have too often. I found 500 Degrees quite poor on the toppings front. When I get bit tired of all the sourdough-type pizza bases around though, I do love Firezza. My favourite for delivery and they PILE on the toppings! Yet to try Sylvester's, doesn't look quite my vibe but I will give it a go...

Seabag Wrote:

> Pizza Express has a pizza that was (advertised at

> something like) 30% less carbs, it was genius.

> Basically they cut a hole with a cookie cutter and

> removed the centre, then covered the 🕳

> with rocket salad.

>

> I have no idea if they still do that, but must

> have been hilarious being at the development

> meetings on that one

:))

philosophie Wrote:

> Yet to try Sylvester's, doesn't look

> quite my vibe but I will give it a go...

According to an interview in the latest Dulwich Diverter, Sylvester's pizzas are not intended as a meal as such, but as sort of tapas to have with wine.

They recommend sharing one pizza between four people.

It's a bar/cocktail bar rather than a restaurant, if I understood the article correctly.

I havent thoroughly investigated, but when i looked at their beer menu when it first opened a pint of 'Budvar' (although oddly listed as 4% ABV, which the beer brand 'Budvar' is not) was ?4.50.

I then checked their website a week or so later and it was listed as ?4.70. Having checked again just now, a pint of that very same beer, a month or so after opening, is now 30p more.

If they are going to raise their prices in such a gung ho fashion then they wont be getting any business or recommendations from me.