Buying my neighbour's back garden

Bob Buzzard

Mrs Bob says we need to expand more - in our double fronted 5-bed we've already done the loft, extended out to the side, added a conservatory and tanked the cellar, so I thought about enlarging our garden by buying our neighbour's adjacent back garden. I have asked them to sell it to us for ?10000, but they have said no. I don't know why because they don't use it much - they only seem to sit in it during the summer months and only cut their grass every 3 weeks or so. I know they need the money because I see them go out to work every day. I did think getting a compulsory purchase order, but my mate Mick down The Castle says I can't do that? Shall I up my offer to ?15k instead?

Bob Buzzard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Steady on - it's a reasonable proposition isn't

> it?

It depends bob. Is it theirs to sell? Do they have a mortgage? If so your ?15k could disappear down the drain.

But I?m sure you?ve done due diligence despite an uncharacteristic lack of judgement wasting money on artisan butter.

I think if you enclose it with a 10 ft wall ,access only possible via your garden and use it for about 12 years you would get ownership by adverse possesion .

Would suggest you get wall built while they are out at work ,have one of those "wraps" that replicate the orginal installed to the rear of their house and they'll never notice or challenge the land grab .

This lot https://graphics.cunninghamcovers.co.uk/building-wrap do stuff on the scale I think you'll need .

And don't overlook the potential of air rights in your quest to improve your home .

Stop trying to aggressively deprive someone of their garden. Compulsory purchase order? get in the sea. Besides, it sounds like your house is big enough.

You also sound like you'd be a pain in the arse to live beside, although im half convinced this post is simply taking the piss to be honest.

Bob, I think you should use Mrs Bob's considerable charms on your neighbours and invite them round for an evening soir?e. Think Abigail's Party, Pampass Grass by the front door, car keys thrown in the Aalvo Aalto glass bowl on your mid-century sideboard, then loosen things up with a rum punch, followed by a hot sticky fondue with suggestively shaped crudit?s. They'll soon be eating out of your hands...quite literally!

keano77 Wrote:

> Bob Buzzard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Steady on - it's a reasonable proposition isn't

> > it?

>

> It depends bob. Is it theirs to sell? Do they have

> a mortgage? If so your ?15k could disappear down

> the drain.

>

> But I?m sure you?ve done due diligence despite an

> uncharacteristic lack of judgement wasting money

> on artisan butter.

Good point - I?d forgotten some people have mortgages and that you can't seek bits of a property if it?s mortgaged. I thought they just didn?t like me and were just saying no to me, but it?s probably because their mortgage Ts&Cs prevents them from selling their garden to me - how disappointing.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> I think if you enclose it with a 10 ft wall

> ,access only possible via your garden and use it

> for about 12 years you would get ownership by

> adverse possesion .

>

> Would suggest you get wall built while they are

> out at work ,have one of those "wraps" that

> replicate the orginal installed to the rear of

> their house and they'll never notice or challenge

> the land grab .

>

> This lot

> https://graphics.cunninghamcovers.co.uk/building-w

> rap do stuff on the scale I think you'll need .

>

> And don't overlook the potential of air rights in

> your quest to improve your home .

?Adverse possession? is that a real thing? Could I do that? I don?t want to cause any bother. The other thing I thought about was a shepherd?s hut in my garden with a log burner? Plus I?m also planning to get a brick pizza oven built in the garden (my garden, not the neighbour?s).

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Why not go the whole hog and make an offer on the

> house and garden? You could then resell the house

> without the garden.

That?s also a good idea I hadn?t thought of yet, it?s just one of those terraced houses on Glengarry Road so I could afford to buy it, but I?m not sure Mrs Bob would like me spending all that cash just to buy an additional bit of garden, but maybe she could be persuaded?

You could start up a campaign on intimidation, perhaps? 'encourage' them to bow to your demands. Check with Mick down at The Castle whether he knows any Millwall fans that have spare time on a Saturday afternoon, now they are banned from going within 2 miles of the New Den on match days.