Buildings insurance with recent big claims - advice needed

virgosuzie

We are 3 x share of freehold flats' owners needing one buildings insurance policy where we were all named. We have just purchased the freehold and the previous freeholder has a block insurance policy which they have refused to transfer. Even if they had transferred, we would be having the same issue given the current policy expires in November.

The issue is that there was a claim for water leak which turned out to be a major insurance claim in January this year. Insurance paid for renovating 2 bathroom, redecorating a bedroom, loss of rent for one flat which was let out at the time, alternative accommodation to the other owner-occupied flat and a bunch of other related expenses like electricity & water bills. The claim went over 60K in total!

We have so far contacted Coppergate, Lansdown and Aston Lark / Jobson James, who have all failed to find a single insure to quote for our situation. I am going to call Heritage and Westfield insurance brokers shortly but not very hopeful as so far every other insurer has declined to even quote! We would be prepared to ride out a period of high premium until we can get the No claims discount. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks to those to replied via PM. For your information, Aston Lark eventually came through with a quote with an extremely competitive premium and a slightly high excess for escape of water claims. We have also been told that the claim follows a person (policy holder) not the property so us new owners don't actually have to even declare it as none of were were named on the policy that claimed damages.