Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageLining a ceiling
Posted by ed_pete September 27, 05:01PM

Am I being unreasonable to expect a professional decorator to be able to apply lining paper to a ceiling ?

messageRe: Lining a ceiling
Posted by teddyboy23 September 27, 05:04PM

No

Posted by Angelina September 28, 07:42PM

not at all

Posted by malumbu September 28, 11:53PM

No, but you might want to ask for heavier duty paper if the ceiling is not reasonble. Or go to night school and learn to DIY. In one respect ceilings are easier as you are just doing one plane, with no things like light switches or door ways to go around. Do you want me to PM you a recommendation?

Posted by uncleglen September 29, 10:16AM

there is a you tube for everything. Give the link to your 'professional' decorator

[www.google.com]

Posted by ed_pete September 29, 12:57PM

Thanks for confirmation but he "doesn't do lining paper"

Posted by diable rouge September 29, 01:16PM

Are you complaining that he won't put up lining paper or that he's done a bad job of putting up lining paper?...

Posted by ed_pete September 29, 02:56PM

The former.

Posted by Seabag September 30, 06:50PM

Itís the hardest job, I used to do it and itís a trade within a trade. When done properly itís spot on.

But badly done, oh heck!

Knowing your limits is a good thing. Ask him if he knows a Ďstickerí, he might have someone to call on.

Posted by Seabag September 30, 06:54PM

Plain lining or embossed?

Old or new ceilings?

LV down lighters?

Clear room ?

Ohhh, so many questions

Posted by fishbiscuits October 01, 06:24PM

Surely only half a day's work for a plasterer to skim the ceiling? That's what I'd do...

Posted by carlafindle October 01, 06:38PM

Depending on the size of ceiling etc etc

Posted by ed_pete October 01, 06:46PM

OK whole story is that the existing lining has come loose in a few places, it's an old house and the ceiling hasn't been painted in at least 10 years. Options were to skim but this would require stripping existing lining first as plastering on top of lining not a good idea or crosslining over existing lining prior to painting. Plastering not really an option as rest of room now painted. This guy doesn't do papering (wall or lining) at all but I didn't know that beforehand.

Posted by fishbiscuits October 02, 03:12PM

Yep... don't skim on top of paper, unless you want the whole lot to literally fall down.

I'd still look at stripping the paper on the ceiling, getting the ceiling skimmed, and accept that some of the completed paintwork will need touching up afterwards. If a job's worth doing, etc etc...

Posted by Seabag October 03, 02:02PM

Or get the ceiling overboarded and skimmed

Kevin the plaster did mine, he lives in ED

Expect mess thorough, even with the best will in the world, there will be mess

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum