Waitrose opening on LL

Loutwo

Hot off the press, it would appear our old friend Waitrose is back to haunt us again. This time the will they/won?t they saga has moved to the opposite side of the road, into the former William Hill site.

Discuss. Popcorn at the ready.

Louisa.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yawn. Rinse and repeat. You moved out to Kent yet

?

Why would you care? You can still live elsewhere and post on the forum anyway. But irrelevant.

Btw, it wasn?t me who started the new Waitrose rumours. No rinse and repeat from me, I?ve never started or contributed toward a Waitrose specific thread. Next!

Louisa.

Still waiting and hoping that we get a Fortnum & Mason type outlet on Lordship Lane. The 2 M&S stores are completely overrun with middle aged, well off ladies literally hellbent on chucking everything with a yellow sticker in their baskets. They clog up the aisles and unnecessarily decimate the stock available to those who come after work to buy dinner for the evening. A more upmarket store would hopefully seperate the wheat from the chaff and those who wish to can shop in more pleasant surroundings.

Waitrose shopping was a treat for my late Mum, used to take her to Beckenham. She loved most of their products but complained that they were beyond her weekly budget. She thought Sainsbury's were expensive until she went to Waitrose.

Some of their stuff is reasonable price wise, but not for a weekly shop.

Louisa - I imagine that you have started this thread because you're banned from the main section where there is already a discussion. I'm taking a wild guess that you're motivation is to re-hash the middle class blow-ins vs working class stalwarts debate. Nuff said. Is b-l-o-w i-n-s banned ?

Townleygreen Wrote:

> Waitrose - my friend tells me you can get a free

> coffee and a free newspaper if you spend ?10 and

> have the Mywaitrose card, plus they send you lots

> of money off offers too.

> I wouldn't know myself.

If you are feeling a little skint after Christmas or whatever, you can also not bother paying for your goods as the small stores do not have scales on their self service tills.

Just a little trick 'a friend' told me about when the friend lived in Clapham Common.

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> As for musical chairs .sogims chemist is moving

> into the funeral parlour over the road.the funeral

> parlour is moving into the empty lush lighting

> shop .and the fella who was running the Vape shop

> next to eds local done a runner 😀

The vape guy was useless. As someone who vapes and lives about 2 minutes walk away, i could of made good use of his shop. When i went in he didnt really have much and didnt care, and seemed to make up the price of what i eventually bought. No wonder he done a runner

It's better to have a supermarket than a gambling shop but does LSL really need another supermarket? If Waitrose has to have its share it'd be better replacing either one of the M&S shops (given two isn't really necessary when one will more than do) or replace the Co-Op. Cor blimey, the high street really loses more magic every time one of these big brand chain shops opens, doesn't it?

My understanding is William Hill decided to close most of its high street presence due law changes, and have mostly gone online. As a consequence, many famous retail chains, notably Waitrose in this case, made the decision to take on a number of these former defunct retail spaces. Therefore, it may well be that they decide one or both of the two former local William Hill shops will be taken on by Waitrose.

Louisa.