Beware roofing Scam

DulwichFox

Yesterday as I was leaving my house I was approached by a guy with 2 associates

He advised me he would be working on my neighbour's roof and they would be putting up scaffolding

Our two houses are of different construction and our two roofs are of different heights.

He said my neighbour had damp problems and he needed to check my side to see where the problem was.

I told him that my own Roofer had dealt with a previous problem several years back when I had damp.

This is still problem free. He still put up his ladders and one of his associates went up.

He brought down a broken tile.

They reported that many of my tiles were damaged.. unsecured.. broken.. and that all my lead flashings

were split and with inclement weather forecast I risked being flooded out.

He said they would do the work immediately and asked for ?300 to do the work.

when I declined his offer and suggested I would get my own builder / Roofer back he got a bit off hand.

Not exactly aggressive, but very annoyed.

This morning I asked my neighbour about him having work done and He said no. Not having work done,

My Builder came. He looked at the broken tile and said 'That's a NEW break as the edges were grey'

He and another chap went up on the roof and found several tile in the corner removed and one missing. (The Broken tile )??

He replaced all the tiles and the broken one. They did not charge me but I gave them ?20. to have a drink.

Job Done

These guys had a grey car. They had Irish accents and were surely scammers. I later went out and saw the

car in Fellbrigg rd. I'm on Ulverscroft. they seemed to be driving around looking for targets.

Please take care if approached

Foxy

• 3 weeks later...

northern interloper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Foxy,

> Can you recommend your own roofer and share

> contact details?

>

> Thanks.

My Roofer does small jobs for me as a favour. When he has a spare hour or so .

He is always busy.. He does a lot of Loft extensions and complete roofs.

He is a local man born in East Dulwich now in his 60's.

I have jobs I need doing but he is so busy.

If you have a specific job you need doing I will look up his details and PM you

Foxy.

northern interloper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Foxy,

> Can you recommend your own roofer and share

> contact details?

>

> Thanks.

Norwood Roofing are extremely reliable and have many positive recommendations on here.

They take before and after photos to ensure you don't get ripped off with false work as mentioned in this thread.

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1647560,2072670#msg-2072670

• 1 month later...

An older woman living on her own in my street had an Irish roofer come and tell her that her guttering needed replacing. Put up scaffolding, came back and said having investigated his opinion was the roof needed replacing and it would cost ?thousands. Neighbours across the street became worried about her and confronted the builder who was evasive and so they called the police. The police traced him (he was local) and they made him pay the woman back the money.

Nice ending but sad that people prey on older people who live alone and can be easily alarmed by what they think is 'professional advice'.

And amazing that the police do get involved in these sorts of crimes still.