What's on your wall, East Dulwich? Paintings? Prints? Photos? Nothing?

TwinkleToes

I'm trying to find out what East Dulwichites put on their walls to help our large artistic community and also out of general interest. Do you collect original art, or do you prefer prints or photos? Landscapes? Cityscapes? Portraits? Family photos? Minimalistic plain walls? If you'd like to send a description or better still, post an image of anything you have on your wall, I'll make an East Dulwich 'gallery' once we have enough.

Personally, I have a mix of photos of family and friends, past and present and paintings by my Dad, partner, son and friends, so I'm starting it off with attaching a couple of photos of my walls. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's, in particular original art rather than family photos.

If it's mainly family and friends, would you ever consider buying original art or prints from local artists or online?

Or if you were able to choose an artwork for free, would it be a painting/original print/ photo?

Would the subject be landscape, abstract, portrait, cityscape, or something else?

All replies are really helpful for our survey, thanks for replies.

I?d have thought most people that put art on their walls will buy it having seen it (and liked it) rather than deciding in advance on a 40? x 32? abstract expressionist unmounted canvas in vermillion hues with hookers green and light grey highlights.

ie. I don?t think people decide on landscapes necessarily before they buy them. I?d expect people see something that resonates for them, so they buy it for that reason.

I think the best you?re going to get is making assumptions based on demographic.

I hadn't realised some people in East Dulwich were so hilariously witty, or had so much time to waste, Capt Marvel and Artful Dodger. It will be helpful for my next survey to find the average IQ of the population of East Dulwich.

On the other hand, thanks for the helpful feedback, KidKruger + sweetgirl. I'm trying to help local artists and designers get a better understanding of the local demographic and look forward to more helpful comments such as yours, ideally with photos of any original art that people have on their walls.

I have a mix of original art and prints on neutral walls, less is more. I also like 'leaning' artwork against a wall either at floor level or on a shelf (along with ornaments, photos etc). This has the advantage that they can be easily moved around until the 'right' place is found. The frame is important too as the wrong frame can spoil good artwork.

I would never buy any original artwork online without seeing it first in person, even a litho print can look very different online. Also with some artwork it's just as much about the texture and even the smell of the materials used, which you can never appreciate from an online image...

seenbeen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just for the record I would like to say that you

> will get no contributions from people who are

> renting because they are not allowed to put stuff

> up on their walls....

Unless of course, they are allowed to put stuff up on their walls or they don't use nails.

thanks for the replies so far - interesting.

It would be great to see photos of the art that some of you have described. Do any of you visit the Art markets atno 57 Northcross road? There are a few coming up on Saturdays - - fine art on Nov 30th then a mix of art and design on Dec 7th and Dec 14th.

Husband a professional photographer who does pinhole photography work and abstract photography (and makes his own pinhole cameras). Ohh yes. And then there are a lot of my photos too. And a massive map of London. And a massive satellite image of South East England. Also some of my own art works, including covering the pipes in the flat (it's an old block) with material in garish glitzy sparkly colours matching the walls and furniture.

We prefer to use our own stuff and don't buy others. But thanks for asking. Oh and also, tenants can put their own art works on walls. Council tenants certainly. And I am sure some private ones too.