We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageAdvice on bath waste please
Posted by seemster 26 October, 2019 18:27

Has anyone had a situation similar to this? Or can anyone advise?

[imgur.com] (scroll down to see other photos, not left/right)

The bath waste still turns on the side of the tub but the actual plug has totally "gone" - would it be possible to either a) just buy a plug replacement, and if so, where from; or b) buy the whole thing but just use the new plug part? And if so, where from?

(I've already tried screwfix/toolstation/b&q etc)

TIA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:10:26:20:55:12 by seemster.

messageRe: Advice on bath waste please
Posted by diable rouge 26 October, 2019 18:51

Yep, identical problem with a sink, the pop-up waste mechanism has corroded away so that it won't pop-up or close. You need to replace the whole waste not just the pop-up bit you're holding in your hand. I used a plumber to do this, Paul at AKA Plumbing 07794 316551...

Posted by seemster 26 October, 2019 20:56

My fingers are crossed someone else will say it *is* possible to just replace the plug part, even if I buy the whole thing... but still helpful to know what you did, many thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:10:26:21:06:38 by seemster.

Posted by Jacqui5254 27 October, 2019 11:46

This has just happened to me. I definitely did NOT want to replace the whole thing.

Went to Dulwich DIY and a '£2 plug on a chain' later....success!!

Posted by ed_pete 27 October, 2019 19:05

Iím guessing that the threaded rusted metal is about 5mm diameter. How about buying a short piece of plastic or brass tubing of the same diameter then cutting it to length and gluing it in place. Piece of tubing on eBay less than £5.

Posted by seemster 27 October, 2019 19:12

Thanks peeps. Plug on a chain will be last resort! Cutting the threaded part has been suggested by others on PM too, will give that a try when Iím home.

Posted by Abe_froeman 30 October, 2019 18:14

You might try soaking it in WD40 first to get rid of some of the rust, then if you can get the threaded part out replace with a new bolt cut to the right length (you may also need to narrow the head of the bolt...

Posted by Gashubservices 04 November, 2019 21:32

Contact daniel at gas hub services for all plumbing & heating 07801498084

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum