Hummus crisis

peckham_ryu

How?s everyone coping with the hummus situation? Not only was regular hummus all out of stock in Sainsbury?s yesterday, now there?s news of a salmonella recall on a load of hummus products made for various supermarkets. (Although looks like only the snacking variety in Sainsbury?s). It?s often out of stock when I go. Is it under-stocked or has ED developed a massive collective hankering for chick pea and tahini deliciousness?

"Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons issue urgent recall for hummus over 'deadly salmonella scare"

"The first recall covered expiration dates up to November 7th, but it's now been extended a further 10 years."

Looks bad - but Heart Radio went a bit overboard (I think they mean 10 days)

https://www.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/food-drink/lidl-aldi-asda-sainsburys-morrisons-hummus-recall/

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have eaten Hummus today bought from the Co-Op

> dated use by 10th Nov.

>

> Foxy

Co-Op has emerged unscathed, you can mark yourself ?safe? on Facebook and the like. I find their hummus a bit dense, what do you think of it?

I make my own. I have a great recipe which doesn't use any oil.

It takes about two minutes (with a jug and a stick blender) and tastes much nicer than the stuff you buy in supermarkets. One batch lasts me several days :)

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> Care to share the oil free recipe Sue?

It's this one:

https://www.cearaskitchen.com/fluffy-oil-free-hummus/

I use a can of chickpeas and just shove all the liquid (aquafaba) in. I don't measure it.

I use half the amount of chilli powder she does, and sometimes I add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric (for health not taste reasons).

I only use one clove of garlic, but obviously it depends on the size of the clove and the strength of the garlic.

I make it in a (tallish) measuring jug with my stick blender on a speed of 6 then turbo.

The first time I used my food processor, but with the stick blender there is less washing up :)

I've tried other hummus recipes and I really don't miss the oil when I make it this way.

This sounds good, thanks Sue. Small tip - our bodies find it difficult to absorb the circumin (healthy compound in turmeric) without black pepper, so I'd add some to any recipe that you make with it.

Sue Wrote:

> It's this one:

>

>

> https://www.cearaskitchen.com/fluffy-oil-free-humm

> us/

>

> I use a can of chickpeas and just shove all the

> liquid (aquafaba) in. I don't measure it.

>

> I use half the amount of chilli powder she does,

> and sometimes I add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric

> (for health not taste reasons).

>

> I only use one clove of garlic, but obviously it

> depends on the size of the clove and the strength

> of the garlic.

>

> I make it in a (tallish) measuring jug with my

> stick blender on a speed of 6 then turbo.

>

> The first time I used my food processor, but with

> the stick blender there is less washing up :)

>

> I've tried other hummus recipes and I really don't

> miss the oil when I make it this way.

edcam Wrote:

> This sounds good, thanks Sue. Small tip - our

> bodies find it difficult to absorb the circumin

> (healthy compound in turmeric) without black

> pepper, so I'd add some to any recipe that you

> make with it.

>

Strange that it's the second time I've heard of the black pepper this week (first was for golden milk)

edcam Wrote:

--------------------------------------------

> our bodies find it difficult to absorb

> circumin (healthy compound in turmeric)

> without black pepper, so I'd add some to

> any recipe that you make with it.

>

Odd but true:

"For example, piperine, a known bioavailability enhancer, is the major active component of black pepper [16] and is associated with an increase of 2000% in the bioavailability of curcumin [17]. Therefore, the issue of poor bioavailability appears to be resolved by adding agents such as piperine that enhance bioavailability, thus creating a curcumin complex." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/#B17-foods-06-00092

Even academic studies apparently tend to add something like piperine to help keep curcuminoids in the body longer and hence more available.

edcam Wrote:

> This sounds good, thanks Sue. Small tip - our

> bodies find it difficult to absorb the circumin

> (healthy compound in turmeric) without black

> pepper, so I'd add some to any recipe that you

> make with it.

>

Yes you're absolutely right and I'd forgotten about that, trouble is I'm not sure black pepper would go well with the hummus!

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Sue, how long is it safe to keep in the fridge?

Don't know, because usually I eat it all within a few days :)

But if it started looking a bit frothy and/or smelling a bit odd, I would bin it.

I imagine it lasts as long as shop-bought hummus does (assuming the shop-bought hummus doesn't have some kind of preservative in it, which I don't think it does).

ETA: I usually transfer it to a covered container in the fridge, eg an old takeaway container. I have loads of those because I freeze things in them :)

Vote Tory as we will be able to get excellent trade deals with the hummus producing nations rather than depend on the ebbs and flows of the European market - a shortage one month and a slurry lake the next.

I've heard that the clangers are dead keen to sign a deal over green soup and Noggin, King of the country of Nog, wanting to do similar over whatever they produce there.