Grocery deliveries - online shop order

mary123

I recently completed an order for my first online grocery shop and I am sold on this for future but wanted to ask those of you who shop this way, what is the deal with getting the goods inside, I just took upon myself to carry the crates up my internal stairs to offload the shopping, should the delivery person bring this inside or should ?ustomers tip to bring goods to the kitchen, what is the approach and conversation with the delivery person

Up to recently my wife used at one time or another all online shopping/deliveries, but since they have stopped putting the groceries in bags and then in the crates shes not keen for her shopping to be put into dirty crates.

Why they cant put them in paper carryout bags like they use in the states i don't know ?

There was a feature about the cleanliness of crates used by all delivery companies on Watchdog recently, Not very pleasant.

We've used Sainsburys online delivery for a few years and it's worked for us by and large though they have recently shifted the delivery from Bell Green to DKH and as a result more items are out of stock. Never had an issue with the cleanliness of the crates but maybe we're less fussy or observant than others. Years ago, Sainsburys let you buy plastic boxes with handles that you could use when shopping in store. They don't sell these any more but we still have ours and just transfer the shopping from the crates which the delivery people place on our doorstep, to our boxes which we then carry into the kitchen. If they deliver anything in plastic bags then we empty it and hand it back to the delivery person.

I carry all mine through to the kitchen myself.

This has got a lot more difficult since they stopped using bags! I used to pay the 40p for the bags and then re-use them for rubbish etc..

I usually use Tesco now. I stopped using Sainsbury's after they left something I needed urgently on the van, and despite my phoning them very soon after the driver had left my house, they refused to deliver it.

I have used Sainsburys for several years now. Since I swapped to no bags I keep strong bags for life by the door to transfer things across on the doorstep. Some drivers stand and stare while I transfer, others very kindly give me a hand as they can see it reduces the time! Occasionally drivers have offered to bring the crates through, but I prefer to transfer at the door. I believe some companies do the carry through to the kitchen as standard.

diable rouge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ocado still use bags, they charge 5p per bag but

> you get 5p off your bill for any bags returned,

> including non-Ocado bags. They ask whether you'd

> like the bags carried through or not...

Not ordered with them yet although I've got a ?15 off coupon so might do so.

JohnL Wrote:

> Not ordered with them yet although I've got a ?15

> off coupon so might do so.

If you've got a friend who already uses Ocado they cab invite you to shop with Ocado and you will receive a ?20 off voucher plus free deliveries for a year, after your first order your friend will receive ?20 off too...

Yep, Ocado still compares your order price to what you would have paid at Tesco. If it turns out Tesco would have been cheaper, Ocado sends you a voucher code to use on your next order. It's time limited and it's up to you to remember to use it though.

The switch to M&S is next September I think. There's supposed to be a like for like replacement for all the currently supplied Waitrose products, but I'm a bit doubtful whether they'll be able to achieve this. We shall see!

I don?t make the poor drivers lug my shopping through to my kitchen and as a result all of them have thanked me. A few have commented that customers have just stood by and watch them lug all the bags to their kitchen without helping. I?m thankful enough that I didn?t have to walk around the shops and lug it all home. They just leave my bags in the hallway by my front door. I?m with Ocado so I hand them back all of my bags (they will take any carrier bags and refund you back). I am not keen to have food loose in the crates but in all honesty, the trollies and baskets we use whilst shopping is probably just as grimy!

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> I don?t make the poor drivers lug my shopping

> through to my kitchen and as a result all of them

> have thanked me. A few have commented that

> customers have just stood by and watch them lug

> all the bags to their kitchen without helping. I?m

> thankful enough that I didn?t have to walk around

> the shops and lug it all home. They just leave my

> bags in the hallway by my front door. I?m with

> Ocado so I hand them back all of my bags (they

> will take any carrier bags and refund you back). I

> am not keen to have food loose in the crates but

> in all honesty, the trollies and baskets we use

> whilst shopping is probably just as grimy!

I helped my driver bring things in and I remind them where the lift is in the building on the order.

We had a good gossip :)

I have been shopping with Tesco for the last 2.5 years. Occasional item not available, yoghurt box broken or stale produce but good customer service to sort these out. Driver normally asks what to do with the crates and are happy to bring it in to my kitchen where I unload them. This seems to work with all drivers as I have never seen any of them grumble or refuse. We live in converted house, so offloading at the door step is not an option. I don't expect them to offload the crates as I am grateful to the driver for bringing the crates in and that is sufficient help for me.

Have ordered from Asda's (bad quality produce, half the items out of stock), Sainsbury's (basic items out of stock, website not user friendly), Ocado (good for exotic items, organic stuff) and stuck with Tesco as a good all rounder.

It does seem to vary 're customer and driver expectations to deliver goods inside after reading your comments on here,

my kitchen is located via 2 small flight of stairs.

Tesco official response.

We take health & safety of our drivers seriously, where delivery to the door or kitchen would mean going up a few flight if stairs, we only deliver to the main door.

I am resistant in paying extra or tipping the driver to bring the goods to my kitchen after paying a delivery charge...

Umm food for thought.

It?s not their job though to lug things upstairs to the kitchen, their job is to deliver it to your door. It?s back breaking stuff lugging everyone shopping to the van, off the van, to the house, and then usually offloading the bags to you and they have to do it at every house. I shop online because I don?t want to go to the shops, push a trolley around, pack, put it in a car, unpack and then sort it out indoors, so I?m quite happy to take over from my front door and they seems quite appreciative of the fact that I?m making things easier for them too.

That is good as a few have told me stories of being left to lug things upstairs whilst they watched them struggling as most like to carry as many bags as possible to help speed up time, not good for their backs!

JohnL Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don?t make the poor drivers lug my shopping

> > through to my kitchen and as a result all of

> them

> > have thanked me. A few have commented that

> > customers have just stood by and watch them lug

> > all the bags to their kitchen without helping.

> I?m

> > thankful enough that I didn?t have to walk

> around

> > the shops and lug it all home. They just leave

> my

> > bags in the hallway by my front door. I?m with

> > Ocado so I hand them back all of my bags (they

> > will take any carrier bags and refund you back).

> I

> > am not keen to have food loose in the crates

> but

> > in all honesty, the trollies and baskets we use

> > whilst shopping is probably just as grimy!

>

> I helped my driver bring things in and I remind

> them where the lift is in the building on the

> order.

>

> We had a good gossip :)

I?ve only ever used Ocado. After the first year of free deliveries you then have to pay. Their minimum order for free delivery is ?40. If you recommend a friend, as above, and they place their first order then you get the ?20 voucher for your next deliver, but not sure if you have to spend the minimum ?80 as the friend does, but I would hope not.

I am waiting for an operation after which means that I cannot drive for 4 weeks or carry heavy bags. Husband currently in a wheelchair. I was going to order on line from Sainsburys so that they can deliver to my kitchen (down 2 steps)but reading this, it looks as though I will have to consider alternatives. Does anyone have deliveries from Iceland?

Pugwash Wrote:

> I am waiting for an operation after which means

> that I cannot drive for 4 weeks or carry heavy

> bags. Husband currently in a wheelchair. I was

> going to order on line from Sainsburys so that

> they can deliver to my kitchen (down 2 steps)but

> reading this, it looks as though I will have to

> consider alternatives. Does anyone have deliveries

> from Iceland?

I'm pretty sure they (and the others) will deliver to your kitchen. They say on their websites the drivers will always do so it asked especially now (tescos and sainsburys) have no bags