Black Adder wasn't very good

malumbu

I've just watched five minutes of Black Adder Goes Forth which confirmed my views when I first watched it, it wasn't very good. Ben Elton's scripting was cliched and the series deteriorated in chronological order. The first series, a commercial disaster was excellent but they had to bring Elton in to make it more puerile to get the audience figures up. God it appeared so dated (as some of the Young Ones episodes). Father Ted and the IT Crowed are excellent examples of comedy that does stand the test of time.

Looking back on the New Statesman can be worse as some episodes are horribly homophobic. I just checked and this wasn't written to Ben Elton. Upstart Crow is, and thats's fuggin awful too.

Elton's a talented and funny guy. Just not my favourite script writer and much of what he did was of its time.

To bring in some balance Black Adder II has some of my favourite comedy episodes, the unscripted Rik Mayall as Captain Flashheart causing chaos, the puritans and the turnips, and Tom Baker's salty sea-dog.

I expect plenty of hate mail now.... Or am I the peoples' poet and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader.

I watched some of it last night and thought how well it has withstood the test of time... vintage comedy... only the best writing survives. I went to bed before the end though, because the end of that episode always makes me cry.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Looking back on the New Statesman can be worse as

> some episodes are horribly homophobic. I just

> checked and this wasn't written to Ben Elton.

> Upstart Crow is, and thats's fuggin awful too.

You mean like ... Boris who reminds me of Alan B sometimes.

https://www.businessinsider.de/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

I worked with a government minister like B'stard. I was always surprised that the media didn't pick up on this. He was dreadful around young women, making that Match of the Day person appear a paragon of virtue. It was cringing to see and only a few years ago. Certainly not suggesting a comedy based on this person, as it would be too true to life. And not remotely funny. Like Upstart Crow - interesting polarisation of views on IMDB on the latter.