Dulwich & West Norwood Candidates - Green Party vs Labour

pebs

I think there should be a representative from main parties regardless if there sttanding or not, to at least explain there action to step

down. Maybe this will happen. Considering Southwark Council declared a climate emegency, im surprised the timings of the hustings doesn't reflect a more suitable time.

Sadly this has to be an anyone but Johnson/Farage. Following the night of the long knives the former has got rid of most of the moderating influences. The Labour party has not been able to go so far so you'd be voting for the policies not the person, The stuff this week has been sinister pushing us further to Farage/Mogg's version of Brexit. Although money markets weren't spooked which is interesting.

Labour's wishy washy version of Brexit does leave the door open for some sensible outcome, in or out or the EU. I actually found myself agreeing with one of the other policies of boosting mental health.

The Lib Dem?s could have been in with a decent shout this time, but oddly they stood down for the Greens, who stand even less of a chance of winning it.

Corbyn and his Islington Marxist Party and Boris with his Madcap Hard Brexit Party are the only other terrifying options this election. Scary.

Louisa.

And the Greens stood a better chance? The age of predicting outcomes based on the size of majorities is over, look at Scotland. The Lib Dem message of cancelling Brexit would have gone down well on the ED doorstep (I would have thought?).

Louisa.

I'm not sure cancelling Brexit would go down that well, I think most would prefer to do it via a confirmatory referendum rather than a straight revoke, a new ''will of the people'' if you like. This is all semantics anyway as the LDs won't win this GE, the best chance for Remainers is a Labour led coalition, and I hope most people relaise that and vote accordingly...

Im tempted to vote for labour, which would be a first but overall so many different policies overlap. The truth matters, I dont believe a party who are not willing to be transparent with difficulties within there parties. They should be open with the public on there procedures to attempt to solve differences, regardless of whether a solution has been found.I dont know if Rashid Nix will be green candidate,He just feels more real. We are living in a sick society bred by a government that seems unable to hear the majority of its population. I find Corbyn to be honest and fair but feel the greens as a party will bring the change that is needed.

I've always voted Labour except in the recent local and European elections, and I don't like Corbyn either, but I'm looking at the bigger picture and the best he can achieve is a coalition gov with the Remain parties, in which he'll have his hands tied as to how much he can do politically. The initial focus of such a coalition will be to have a confirmatory referendum, after which I can easily see the coalition unravel quickly, and Corbyn then retiring to his allotment...

Can anyone explain how a 4 day week will work ?

From what I understand there will be no loss in earnings for anyone going from 5 days to 4 days (hurrah for the workers) but what will this cost businesses who need to operate 5, 6 or 7 days a week ?

If an office goes to a four day week will that imply no one works Friday's so businesses will have issues getting things to happen five days a week (looking at how government departments that offer working from home a couple of days a week, very few people go into the office on a Friday, so I can see preference for Friday's as the day off a week)

It's a great policy for workers but the question is what impact will it have on business and if production costs rise, what effect will it have on costs in the shops ?

Will it also have an impact on getting hold of council officers (for example) as there are less staff in every day, or to counter it will local authorities need a 25% rise in funding to cover the cost of extra staff to provide services five days a week ?

Can someone make sense of it all for me (please ) ?

Productivity and the working week is a funny one. We work longer hours than some on the continent yet are less productive than our closest neighbours. The utopia of a much shorter working week has reversed in recent years as a more connected world seems to have led to greater demands and expectations from us. I expect that many/most don't switch off at 5 on a Friday, as I did in my first job (although being outside of London we finished much earlier), and similarly many of us will do heaps of unpaid overtime. Added to that is our commute getting longer? The connected world seems to have led to more (virtual) paperwork, and in some aspects seems less efficient than doing a ledger book used in my parents' days.

So I expect that many of us will do a similar amount of work in the same time.

As for customer facing jobs, can you get hold of anyone at the council? I ask this in a non-provocative way. I've worked with trading standards, environment health and the like over the years. In the 00s I could still call a council official and chat with them. I can't even find a name, let alone a phone number, and when I do locate someone on Linkedin as you can't go direct to the council they don't answer anyway. All about resources rather that local authorities being rubbish.

Jonathon Bartley is the Green Candidate - he is the co chair of the Greens. This was announced on TV last week. The original LD candidate elected is now standing for Lewisham East

More employers should offer flexi hours or job shares. I remember during a transport strike many years ago I offered to work from 11 am - 7 pm at my office (I was a car driver) which enabled me to see callers/staff. This only lasted during the strike period but my boss was very happy to know that he could offer a good 'customer service'

In my professional life, we were allowed to work from home - especially if we had lots of report writing, many of us had our professional data base uploaded to our home laptops/computers and some had a works mobile phone. I would rather a more flexible working contract to a 4 day week.

As a professional worker - our department had to operate a 7 day working week with core hours being 9 - 5. Staff offered or were specifically appointed to do Friday - Monday (with the option of an additional day) Many of my Mon - Fri colleagues opted to do the weekends for travelling reasons (less crowded trains/roads) less incoming calls allowing them to concentrate, more options of seeing clients/family members who would normally be working during the week)

Proportional Representation would give a more balanced political scene - depends to the type of PR as to how this would work i.e overall national votes giving x number of MPs from each party, or voting for individual candidate and then additional MPs depending on percentage of votes.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why don't they just promise to massively increase

> wages and put everyone on a 3.5 day week like they

> did last time around

> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/16/averag

> e-gp-now-works-35-days-week-just-one-20-trainees-p

> lans/

>

> and cause crises everywhere

ou know that link does say what you seem to be suggesting it does?

Loutwo Wrote:

> The Lib Dem?s could have been in with a decent

> shout this time, but oddly they stood down for the

> Greens, who stand even less of a chance of winning

> it.

>

> Corbyn and his Islington Marxist Party and Boris

> with his Madcap Hard Brexit Party are the only

> other terrifying options this election. Scary.

>

> Louisa.

What is terrifying you about the Labour Party manifesto? Surely everything about Johnsons journey to date and the many future horrors are far more terrifying for working people?

cella Wrote:

>

> What is terrifying you about the Labour Party manifesto?

For me it's everything , the projected spending alone sends a shiver down my spine remembering last time labour were in power and how they broke the economy resulting in austerity measures being required to fix it

Years ago there was a brain drain caused by taxing the rich (another labour policy at the time) which caused scientists and Entrepreneurs to leave the UK or shutting up shop rather than leveling the playing field for all, result was a race to the bottom and not equality for all.

The other danger is that labour also want unions to rise up again and dictate working hours, if you lived through the 70s you would have seen how they destroyed industry (we used to have a thriving car manufacturing sector before unions broke it and other industries with strikes and 3 day weeks )

The current labour manifesto seems to be spend spend spend and cherry picking the worst possible policies from the past IMHO

Sadly, whilst choices are limited and not good either way, labour is the worst of two evils here if you ask me.