We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageChristmas adverts
Posted by Spartacus 20 November, 2019 20:22

Tis the season to be jolly well coerced into spending

Question : do Christmas adverts make you want to shop with the advertiser or do they leave you frosty the snowman cold ?

The one that is driving me not to use them is for a delivery company beginning with A and a smile logo. The whole advert (and the company) annoys me enough not to use them.

Bah Humbug

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by hammerman 20 November, 2019 21:51

They leave me cold too and I don't want to shop with them. The amount of food and clothing portrayed puts me off too and all for one day! Don't get me wrong but it's all too soon and too much when there's people starving across the globe.

The advert out recently referring to Christmas as 'Chrimbo' also makes me cringe. I can't even remember the name of the shop it's that bad.

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by dbboy 20 November, 2019 21:57

Cheristams day is well over six weeks away. If they want to promote do so from the start of December.

Similarly the hype of Black Friday, actually I find the term Black in Black Friday offensive, why not call it sales Friday, but then its yet another American thing that has been introduced to get people who can't afford it to spend money they don't have and get into further debt. But the companies don't care as long as they have the opportunity to fleece any mug stupid enough to get caught up in the hype. Similar to all the hype for Christmas, again get people to spend money they don't have, can't afford and have not thought through the consequences, till the debt collector arrives to get their dues.
Nice

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Seabag 21 November, 2019 01:14

Christmas Adverts in November

Vs

Boris Johnsonís lying lard face on your TV

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Spartacus 21 November, 2019 08:21

I thought he was in a face off competition with Jezza for the role of father Christmas so I'm ignoring both of them...

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Jules-and-Boo 21 November, 2019 09:44

They don't inspire me to join the spending frenzy at all.
We have our traditions for Christmas and getting all aught up in the marketing isn't one of them.

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by diable rouge 21 November, 2019 10:53

I'm not starting a new thread just for this so will stick it in here, besides they contribute to the glut of festive ads.

What we always knew Lou, M&S > Iceland...smiling smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by JohnL 21 November, 2019 12:00

dbboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheristams day is well over six weeks away. If
> they want to promote do so from the start of
> December.
>
> Similarly the hype of Black Friday, actually I
> find the term Black in Black Friday offensive, why
> not call it sales Friday, but then its yet another
> American thing that has been introduced to get
> people who can't afford it to spend money they
> don't have and get into further debt. But the
> companies don't care as long as they have the
> opportunity to fleece any mug stupid enough to get
> caught up in the hype. Similar to all the hype for
> Christmas, again get people to spend money they
> don't have, can't afford and have not thought
> through the consequences, till the debt collector
> arrives to get their dues.
> Nice

Supposedly Black as in accounts being in the black rather than the red.

to me it's always the day when everybody gets drunk and fights (Friday before Xmas).

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by TheArtfulDogger 21 November, 2019 13:48

Black Friday is linked to thanksgiven so not sure why we celebrate it apart from an excuse to get a "bargain" online or in the shops.

Sadly it then kills Christmas sales for the retailers as who wants to pay more for an item that was cheaper as part of Black Friday / cyber Monday and will be cheaper again in the January sales that have to now start pre Christmas

Obviously here is a case of where UK retailers have shot themselves in the foot by following US practices

The adverts are driving me to shop more and more with smaller local retailers

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Spartacus 22 November, 2019 15:35

I actually feel sick when I see the gluttony adverts for processed Christmas food

After all this isn't any old Christmas food, this is diabetes inducing unhealthy fat , sugar and salt filled Christmas food.

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by JohnL 22 November, 2019 16:43

I fast forward through advertisements although I've noticed All4 forces you to watch them - means I tend to watch little All4

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Spartacus 22 November, 2019 19:21

Spartacus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought he was in a face off competition with
> Jezza for the role of father Christmas so I'm
> ignoring both of them...


My mistake
Jezza believes he IS Santa

[www.bbc.co.uk]

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Jules-and-Boo 22 November, 2019 20:18

We watch netflix, much more chilled out.

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Seabag 22 November, 2019 20:59

Spartacus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually feel sick when I see the gluttony
> adverts for processed Christmas food
>
> After all this isn't any old Christmas food, this
> is diabetes inducing unhealthy fat , sugar and
> salt filled Christmas food.

Erm.... itís the middle of Winter festival

What do you expect?

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by Spartacus 22 November, 2019 22:14

Healthy options !

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by TheArtfulDogger 23 November, 2019 09:57

This morning, I was rudely awoken from a deep sleep by an automated phone call that my Amazon prime membership was renewing at 39.99 a month (I don't have prime)
Obviously I put the phone down and its that time of be year where the power of adverts makes you want to use their service, and the scammers are playing on this. The joy of Christmas scams 🤔

messageRe: Christmas adverts
Posted by snoopy17 25 November, 2019 13:14

I thought amazon prime was £79 a year?


Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum