Local school needs funding to continue with counselling service.

alice

Im flabbergasted that whilst children's mental health services are already overstretched that the government chooses to cut essential services like these.

Is there any evidence that this service was ever funded by, or its funding then cut, by 'the government'? The government, via the NHS, funds IAPT (Improved Access to Psychological Therapies) [Google IAPT Southwark to see local offer]. Counsellors are also often provided by e.g. Universities and Colleges, trained both in Psychological skills and others. The offer, via IAPT, can be very different in different regions/ authorities, based on their (not the government's) allocation of funds and setting of priorities.

I am not saying that this isn't a very worthy cause, where there is no other funding available - I am challenging the assumption that this is a result of 'government' action.

Answer to above questions. I got it slightly wrong. This school had a final year counsellor who worked unpaid now she is qualified there is still the need for her expertise but no funds to support it. The schools ability to find funding is of course affected by cuts as all charities are oversubscribed. I hope no one feels misinformed. It?s a valuable much appreciated service.

I am a trustee of a counselling charity which until this year received the bulk of it's funding from the CGG. This provided access to counselling for children, young people and adults with emotional problems etc. This was a preventative mental health service as well. This financial year the funding was removed from the charity, along with many other counselling/psychological services in the borough. This has resulted in the redundancies of 3 staff members and a greatly reduced service. The charity also provides counsellors to a number of primary and secondary schools.

What school is this for?

I have found that students do not want to work with a counsellor in school as they are worried about confidentiality.

There is a lot of support available for free and it's important to know this is confidential and non judgemental.

https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions/depression/

Camhs are also great - you need a doctor's referral.

If your teen is showing signs of depression/ anxiety/ mental health concerns, please see your doctor. There is a tendency for teens to cope by self harming, so please also watch out for signs - as they hide the mental and physical signs well.

I?ve had a hard think before responding. I have been a long time poster on this forum and I thought that would count for something. I would only suggest such a GoFundMe page if i could personally vouch for its veracity and need. I?m sorry some of you feel otherwise but big thanks to those who did donate.

Why would this be anonymous? I just don't understand.

Why would the GoFundMe page not have the name of the school on it?

Why are you so reluctant to say which one it is?

I'm sure you are a genuine, well-meaning person so why would you present this in a way that looks so much like a scam? I'm afraid there are plenty of dodgy GoFundMe pages out there that prey on peoples trust and generosity.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What school is this for?

>

> I have found that students do not want to work

> with a counsellor in school as they are worried

> about confidentiality.

> There is a lot of support available for free and

> it's important to know this is confidential and

> non judgemental.

>

> https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions/dep

> ression/

>

> Camhs are also great - you need a doctor's

> referral.

>

> If your teen is showing signs of depression/

> anxiety/ mental health concerns, please see your

> doctor. There is a tendency for teens to cope by

> self harming, so please also watch out for signs -

> as they hide the mental and physical signs well.

Agree with above, although we understand laws are put in place for child protection, schools are limited to what they can do because they or psychologist within school must report certain circumstances making confidentiality impossible. I spoke with people running counselling at Charters when I visited with my granddaughter, and although they may look individually at pupils and situations they are bound by law. I also found it strannge this was offered as appointment only.

Alice, Can you say why you do not wish to give the name of the school.

I have been a school Counsellor for the past 10 years and would like to give my views based on what I have read here so far. School counsellors have a duty of care to safeguard their students. All Counselling is kept confidential between the Counsellor and student, unless something is raised which suggests the child is at risk. Then the case is discussed with the child and the child protection officer in the school-each school should have at least one or more. Then the case can be taken further. Up until that point the Counselling remains confidential and offers a safe place for the student to speak. The vast majority of students do not need child protection and just need a safe place to talk about their concerns such as self harming, depression, stress over exams, friendship issues, gender identity issues, racism, bullying, home life, drugs, alcohol. All of these are are kept confidential unless I feel a child is at risk. Many times the parents are not told because they are part of the problem. It?s better that the child gets the help they need.

My Counselling if funded by the parents association as they feel it is a valuable service. Maybe the school parents can get together and discuss with the school governors.

Thanks Gerry, I believe it is a valuable service. I am surprised that children can be open about problems at home eg parents drug use etc. How clear is that line of confidentiality when parents are part

of the problem. Can there be circumstances which could put a child at risk and is this defined.do you find children are aware of this, therefore hold back information they know would cause the situation to be taking iutside the help you are offering.

Yes the children are aware before they start Counselling that we may have to take things forward if they are at risk, I.e. things at home that put them at risk can be taken forward. The student is aware of the implications but sometimes they can no longer live with a difficult situation at home. We have made changes for some families which have benefited everyone without social services being involved.

Lots of sense talked here, having had experience of this in the family I know how important it is to make counselling easy to access... It's true some young people don't want to use a school counsellor, but they should still be available. However the main question is why all the secrecy?! If it's for a specific school what's the problem with giving that info ? you'd be more likely to hit the target.

Scotland and Wales governments have both funded this service in schools, does this not happen in England.

Alice do you know if this service is ever funded, us this a problem for every school, where they have to find the money.