small social group

swadeshp

I am thinking of organising a small local social group to meet every now and then and organise visits to the theatre, cinema, galleries ... with the odd pint afterwards - and chat about our experiences. I definitely enjoy going to these events a lot more when I am with people and have a pint and chat afterwards. S

swadeshp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am thinking of organising a small local social

> group to meet every now and then and organise

> visits to the theatre, cinema, galleries ... with

> the odd pint afterwards - and chat about our

> experiences. I definitely enjoy going to these

> events a lot more when I am with people and have a

> pint and chat afterwards. S

Have you ever looked at Meetup.com? Very similar concept, lots of different types of activities

Hello siousxiesue

Than you for your suggestion. Yes, I know Meetup.com very well. I ran a film club a few years ago ... and made use of Meetup.com. etc

In this instance, I really want to meet a very small ad hoc group of very few - 5/8 people who would be interested in meeting now and then for theatre and cinema visits. I live locally so thought I'd try EDF.

Swadesh

Hello Mary123

I'm very pleased to hear you are interested. Interestingly enough I too have spent a very long time travelling from south to north for many years... but mostly for work. I know what you mean about travelling long distances to meet people. Meeting local people would be great. Going to cinema or theatre alone or with friends (mostly from different parts of London) who may or may not be free or have to pull out at the last minute etc is always a bit dreary. So I just thought I'd be a bit more organised about it.

Hope to hear from others.

Swadesh

swadeshp Wrote:

I go to the local Picturehouse frequently, it might be a good starting point? Happy to attend if I can

• 3 weeks later...

swadeshp Wrote:

I sent a PM recently

Hello

I apologise for net getting in touch sooner. I was away during the festivities and only came back to London recently (day after New Year is always a nasty shock to the system!). I am delighted at seeing so many people wishing to participate in meeting up and attending films and plays ...

I also need to apologise for not being very 'savvy' with the ins and outs of EDF system. I only looked at the private messages and mistakenly believed that there were only 3 people interested ... and then perhaps as a way of testing how magnanimously forgiving the membership is, I foolishly started a new thread instead of scrolling down - as has been kindly suggested by someone. My pathetic jokes and digital stupefaction apart, I have been thinking seriously of how to make a start. Please feel free to send me your suggestions.

I would like to mention a few things:

i) I'd love to hear of film suggestions (not many good ones showing at the moment). Films, I feel are better at reaching a wider audience and cater for larger range of tastes. Very much my own point of view of course. I recently discovered Peckham cinema and was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is, the reasonable admission price and lots of leg room - seats are not squashed together. More amazing still it was nearly empty - which I liked. No one chewing pop corns and no chatting behind me ...

ii) Perhaps a meeting somewhere - pub or cafe ... it would be very nice to meet up and have a chat about ourselves. I have been known to frequent the Fox on the Hill - what my intellectual friends would classify as somewhat 'low brow' but which French intellectuals adore.

iii) I'd love to hear of the sort of film/plays and any other events you would like to explore.

iv) I'd also suggest we include in our explorations any books or anything else we've read lately (newspaper/magazine articles)- not a book club but a chatty fun way of sharing thoughts and ideas and hopefully a pint or two.

I have been to see the Joker and Irishman recently and also saw a documentary about Miles Davis (at the Peckhamplex). Last play I saw was Garcia Lorca's Blood wedding at the Young Vic a few months ago..... plenty to talk about. Korean film - Parasite to appear soon - much talked about.

Hope you all got this message and am looking forward to hearing your suggestions and any comments you may have.

Swadesh

PS I've been thinking I should post a very short resume about myself if that would be of any relevance. May perhaps make it easier to relate to each other rather than communicating to a strange unknown character. Your thoughts?

SP

siousxiesue Wrote:

> I recently saw two Chinese films. So Long, My Son

> which was stunning, and Long Days Journey Into

> Night, which wasn't IMO.

> I also quite fancy Parasite, did you see

> Shoplifters last year. One of my favourites of

> 2019 if not the decade.

Where are you watching these?

I?m interested to go see these too

I am somewhat miffed with myself for having missed the film So Long My Son (along with a few others). Heard a lot of positive and favourable comments about it since. I'd love to know where and how to view it as it's no longer showing at cinemas. Much as I detest watching 'made for cinema films' on small screens - I have no choice in many cases.

nxjen - you message is relevant as it answers my query above. Very helpful.

Swadesh

Further to the somewhat long message (posted Friday 11th), I'd like to suggest viewing the Sam Mendes film 1917 at some stage soon. Unfortunately it's not showing anywhere near SE London this coming Friday. Did limited research - any other showings nearby?

It'd be also a good chance to meet up. Anyone interested? Suggestions please re: a good place to meet up.

I recently went to a discussion at Sands Studio (about Peter Sellers) and they are showing a series of films on early cinema. Next Tuesday Jan 21 at Sands studios (located next to Rotherhithe overground station) at 8 pm: Georges Melies.

Also Wednesday 22nd at 7.30pm: The good soldier Schwejk (produced by Sands Studios).

Anyone interested?

Swadesh

Further to the somewhat long message (posted Friday 11th), I'd like to suggest viewing the Sam Mendes film 1917 at some stage soon. Unfortunately it's not showing anywhere near SE London this coming Friday.

It's showing at East Dulwich Picturehouse!! This Friday.

I saw it today

Hello siousxiesue

Thanks for your reply. I do know East Dulwich Picture House but I am a bit put off by the small screen. I am not overly fussy but I have seen the same film/s on small and large screens and the difference is phenomenal. I once could not believe I was watching the same film.

I would still have attended EDPH but just found out that the film was also showing at the Peckhamplex on Friday. I'd like to go there instead - mush larger screen.

I'd be very interested to hear what people think: more and more cinemas have sacrificed one large space/screen and become many small cinemas with much smaller screens. The sense of visual 'feasting', awe and spectacular imagery which distinctly separates cinema from TV is lost. In fact TV studios are desperately struggling to cater more and more for larger home screens and adjusting the visual aspects of many scenes accordingly.Some films like Space Odyssey, Lawrence of Arabia, ... lose a lot of their visual impact if not all on small screens.

Any views?

Swadesh

Hello

I am planning to go to the Mendes film 1917 (6pm showing) at the Peckhamplex tomorrow evening. It would be nice to meet up with others who'd like to see the film. I plan to be there around 5.30pm. I'll be in the front lobby area (near the ticket office) in case anyone wishes to join me (short hair, wearing red coat and dark blue scarf) . I'll go in the viewing hall around 5.45 to get a good seat.

My apologies for this late announcement.

Hope to see a few people there.

Swadesh

Hello

I am planning to go to the Mendes film 1917 (6pm showing) at the Peckhamplex tomorrow evening. It would be nice to meet up with others who'd like to see the film. I plan to be there around 5.30pm. I'll be in the front lobby area (near the ticket office) in case anyone wishes to join me (short hair, wearing red coat and dark blue scarf) . I'll go in the viewing hall around 5.45 to get a good seat.

My apologies for this late announcement.

Hope to see a few people there.

Swadesh

Hi Swadesh

How was the film last night? I would have liked to join but unfortunately already had plans. I would be interested in future events. Diary is quite full but it's always non-local! Would be great to meet some locals and do things in the surrounding area when the opportunity arises.

Keep us posted!

PikeyED

Hello Pink eyed,

My apologies for not replying sooner. I've had a hectic week.

It was a great film to watch. very well shot with brilliant scenes and equally brilliant acting ... but like all war films especially WW1 films, it has quite a few gruesome scenes. Some graphic scenes but then one should be prepared for that given that it's a war film and the reviews made that clear. It distinctly conveyed the horror of the First World War.

I will let every one know of the next film I plan to go to.