Forum Sponsors

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.no-flies.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Advice: rehoming a difficult cat
Posted by yard January 07, 05:21AM

quite easily, once sitting, petting and talking calmly, also bribing with a cat treat.

Posted by fishbiscuits January 07, 06:01PM

Is it controversial to suggest that you shouldn't feel morally obliged to keep a violent creature in your home?

I'm not totally averse to our feline friends, but if the thing is actually attacking you even when left alone... well...

Posted by DiD January 07, 06:05PM

Thanks @Fishbiscuits. I appreciate that. Yes, I don't feel morally obliged (though others may disagree with me). Trying to be patient, though, as I know it will traumatise her to move her again. But if she doesn't chill and stop attacking me then that option will indeed need to be considered, as I'm not prepared to live in fear in my own home....

Posted by fishbiscuits January 07, 06:33PM

Your patience - and intentions - are admirable.

Posted by cordsm January 07, 07:59PM

My rescue cat from Battersea took about 3-4 months to fully settle in (he had been found on the streets, arrived at Battersea, been adopted by a family & then returned to Battersea 1 week later). He would be affectionate a lot of the time, but would also randomly launch himself through the air & attack my legs. He clearly felt threatened in some way, but I found it hard to understand what was triggering the attacks. If he saw another cat in the garden, he would also attack me (redirected aggression). I got to the stage where I was thinking that I'd made a massive mistake & was considering contacting Battersea, but he ended up calming down & he's such a great cat now. It just took longer than I had anticipated for him to settle. Good Luck!

Posted by peckham_ryu January 07, 11:33PM

Itís like youíre describing my late cat. Also a British short hair, taken on when previous owners divorced. She was evil 70% of the time at first, but slowly worked herself up to becoming a lapcat. Iíll be honest, it took her a few years with me to fully cut out the random furious ambushes.

I assume that mine and maybe yours were dealing with something like PTSD. Biologically, a general excess of nor-adrenaline in the system, making them ready to go into fight mode. I dealt with mine by picking the little spitting fury up and shutting her out in the garden for a spell each time. Not 100% effective when she went for guerilla tactics (slash and dash, to a hissing retreat under a bed), and all very unpleasant until she calmed down. Still, she did calm down eventually and become completely and utterly lovely. Thereís hope for them all, if they are given the opportunity to settle. Best of luck.

Posted by Jules-and-Boo January 08, 09:51AM

I think it just takes time - longer than you think. I also had the same dilemma but it all just worked out.

It took around 3 months for the cats to get used to our rescue dog and now they're all fine.

I do wish you well

Posted by Gaynor Hill January 17, 03:04PM

Have you managed to sort out you cat

Posted by DiD Today, 11:37AM

Thanks @Gaynor Hill for asking, I really appreciate it. She's definitely getting a bit better, and she seems more relaxed, though she did try and prevent me from leaving the house the other day, as she stood by my bag and hissed whenever I tried to take it...

But I'm hopeful that she'll settle in. We do still put her in another room if anyone is coming over (husband does this, and she won't let me lift her). She is, however, very good at opening doors, as she jumps up and swings on door handles until they open for her. (that being said we can't seem to get her to use a cat flap, no matter how many treats we seem to use to entice her...she would prefer to swing on door handles).

We had originally named her 'Kangaroo' because she was so jumpy but now because of her slightly split personality, we have taken to calling her Jekyll-Roo.

Posted by Jules-and-Boo Today, 11:45AM

sounds like things are starting to turn around for you :-)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum