Swearing in movies

malumbu

Sexy Beast is maybe Ray Winstone's finest moments but on re-watching it was surprised at the amount of swearing. I was probably just struck by the quality of the acting and scenery the first time, and the language does help define Ben Kingsley's nasty character.

I'm a fan of Jason Solomon's reviews but he hates the 'Gentleman' - Guy Richie's London gangster/geezer film which is getting fairly decent (sub Lock Stock) reviews, for it's language. http://www.jasonsolomons.com/the-gentlemen-movie-review/?LMCL=LHvF65

Have you seen the film/s? Views about liberal use of profanities? (or certain profanities?)

There was a actor who performed the Vagina Monologue in the West End who used the term on Breakfast TV, in a positive feminist ownership manor - I recall a clip and the presenters saying "that's not a word we normally use..." Not sure if this article refers to this https://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/mar/11/broadcasting2 It drew a few complaints but if you saw it objectively not so (and quite amusing due to the reaction of the presenters)

There is a general point about men's bits generally being 'funny' (dick, willy, John Thomas) and lady's being used in a derogatory way (I've never used pussy as a swear word, more of a Mrs Slocombe sitcom double entendre)

I love swearing but it needs its place and value. My problem with the C word is that I love Cs but the word itself is pretty ugly - even the sound of it. It's not a nice sound like "pearl" or "curl" or "girl" - they all have to be delivered slowly and gently. C... rhymes with other .unt words and that's s shame. A rather base sound. It's usually used with a negative attachment. Ladies' parts are much better than this!

Not a Sexy Beast fan but "Scum" is a superb film - great actors and wholly institutionalising script to hammer the point. Hardly a romantic evening in though. "Nil by Mouth" is equally brilliant and harrowing for similar reasons.

SpringTime Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What would a Quentin Tarantino film be without

> a

> > bit of swearing (and violence too)

>

>

> It would probably have more value.

More value in what way?

Quentin Tarantino lite just wouldn't be the same (not that I've seen any of his later movies)

SpringTime Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love swearing .....

Love it. Are you Rude Kid in Viz? As was the mag as a whole, this highly amusing at the start but then it just became formulaic and had to get more and more gratuitous

In case you are not familar: http://viz.co.uk/category/rude-kid/

warning - it's a bit rude/puerile

My wife loves the C word too - doesn't use it much so the value's there. Regarding Viz, have to say Malumbu, it's currently better than it's ever been! PS you're thinking of Maureen Lipman with the Vagina Monologues.

Sue, those films would still be decent without the graphic violence and blue language. The power often lies in suggestion rather than full exposure, right?!