TfL Consultation on changes to Peckham High Street

ed_pete

Thanks for sharing this link, we also received paper copies earlier this week. That part of Peckham always feels hazardous both as a pedestrian and cyclist. The proposals look good in terms of slowing traffic and improving safety for pedestrians, but I am less clear about cyclists. It does say that they are ?working on a future scheme to explore opportunities to improve facilities for cyclists and bus services between Oval and Deptford? but this seems rather intangible so I wonder if the situation for cyclists in the short term could be worse with the loss of marked lanes. Does anyone know about the Oval-Deptford plans or can anyone reassure me that the proposals will make cycling safer?

I know what you mean. They seem to be thinking in terms of crossing PHS (much better) rather than cycling along it. The painted lanes ......well.......not very protective. I was a bit stunned to find them being painted out but that might be more realistic than leaving them there as a form of pretend.

DM with where you are going from/to and we could see if we can find you a safer route

BellendenBear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for sharing this link, we also received

> paper copies earlier this week. That part of

> Peckham always feels hazardous both as a

> pedestrian and cyclist. The proposals look good in

> terms of slowing traffic and improving safety for

> pedestrians, but I am less clear about cyclists.

> It does say that they are ?working on a future

> scheme to explore opportunities to improve

> facilities for cyclists and bus services between

> Oval and Deptford? but this seems rather

> intangible so I wonder if the situation for

> cyclists in the short term could be worse with the

> loss of marked lanes. Does anyone know about the

> Oval-Deptford plans or can anyone reassure me that

> the proposals will make cycling safer?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to remind people about this consultation: the TfL consultation is very basic so I've added this in too:

I am generally in favour of these proposals. However, I think there are many further improvements that could be made:

It is great that the pedestrian and toucan crossings will be much wider. However, part of the current problem is that vehicles stop on the crossing. Could there be a yellow box painted on these crossings? Or some other sort of on-going enforcement to prevent vehicles stopping there?

There are several junctions with minor side roads such as Sumner Road, Basing Court, Collyer Place, Bull Yard and Mission Place and the vehicular entrance by the Kentish Drovers PH to Peckham Dental Care. Please could these junctions be raised to footway height, both to make movement easier for pedestrians, and to make clear to drivers that pedestrians have priority.

I think that the length of the 20mph limit should be increased both to the east and west. To the east of Peckham High Street, Queens road widens into 4 lanes, only some of which is a bus lane, with no parking allowed, allowing vehicles to drive at speed (Uber

Movement shows free-flow speeds in excess of 40mph in this location). It

is similar to the west of Peckham High street. This means that on both

sides of the High Street traffic goes at a very fast speed, before

becoming frustrated by the delays in the High Street, and indeed further

on in Camberwell and by Queens Road Station. It would be much better if

this whole stretch of the A202 was narrowed and calmed, allowing for

wider pavements and protected cycles lanes (potentially even some

greening in the space created). Traffic could be slowed down to 20mph or

slower without overall journey times being increased, as movement would

be smoother between the pinchpoints of Camberwell, Peckham High street

and Queens Road. It is important to note that residents in the 300+ new

homes at Peckham Place will need to cross Queens Road at its widest and

fastest point to access public transport.

I also feel strongly that this scheme does little for cyclists. Would it not be possible to retain and enhance the cycle lanes?

No. Slowing and calming the traffic flow between Camberwell and Peckham High Street, and between there and Queens Road Peckham will not reduce flow to 5mph. It will reduce the temptation for drivers to alternately press the accelerator and brake, reduce the quantity of polluting dust from brake pads and make no difference to the ultimate journey time for driver - but might reduce journey times for pedestrians, who will be able to cross the road with reduced waiting times.

As ever any thread about road use, cyclist etc shows a great degree of ignorance by fellow drivers/road users. Ignorance both in terms of knowledge and rudeness.

As a professional tree hugger ie someone with vast experience number 1 myth is that smooth (aka eco) driving means that journeys take longer. By anticipating the road ahead, and avoiding harsh acceleration, you stop less (not more)maintaining momentum, reducing fuel use and CO2 emissions, less nitrogen oxides (as you are stressing your engine out less), less particle pollution from brake, tyre and road ware, and less general wear and tear on the car. A win win win win win situation.

Yet our politicians wont propagate this message for fear of losing votes - the whole concept of being able to drive when you went where you want how you want has to be challenged. Sadly we have the blunt instrument of the ULEZ, rather than the benefits that widespread behaviour change would bring.

If you want an adrenaline/endorphin high then get a bike, go carting, or get involved with car or motorbike related sports, off road or on a circuit.

And even those who get the climate change/air quality angle, most of you still drive like shite. Just go to Court Lane - I can do the whole road without braking once and average the same speed as the rest of you - accelerate/brake accelerate/brake accelerate/brake

Road narrowing slows traffic, less road space means traffic cannot proceed as quickly as it did, so journey times become longer. See what happened when the zebra crossing was removed and replaced by lights and a second set were installed further up Forest Hill Road, which is proof of this approach Not working. Years ago traffic flowed smoothly along here, then these measures were implemented and what happened - traffic now backs up and queues along Honor Oak Road and Honor Oak Park, which inevitably impacts on longer journey times along the south circular and much more "rat running" on the side roads in an attempt to cut out using this junction. It further makes the P4 and P12 bus routes less reliable and with longer waiting times in both directions. This then all increases pollution levels.

Clearly road narrowing does not work and creates other problems which previously did not exist. Rather than solving the problem by identifying what the cause is, further measures are tried to stop the "rat running" which fail. The result is traffic queuing on side roads and residents becoming increasingly incensed with the increase in traffic levels and pollution.

Why do we have road narrowing? Because you selfish drivers cannot stick to speed limits and government and local authorities wont enforce speed limits. Bring in average speed cameras, it will be like banning smoking in pubs and restaurants, in a few months we will appreciate the change. And similarly take action against poor parking close to schools - parents, you know who you are.

You will be pleased to know that my ire isn't just aimed at motorists. Unnecessary traffic lights: Forest Hill Road and Colyton (I'm sure these were only supposed to be temporary), Loughbrough Junction (Akerman Road, no traffic), Lambeth Bridge South.

Poorly joined up local authorities - Southwark and Lewisham, the latter blocked right turns onto the South Circ forcing traffic to use the farm track that is Honor Oak Road.

Don't start me on speed bumps.