Odd query/problem but thought maybe someone has had the same experience

jem10nz

Good morning,

This is an unusual one, about 6-8 months ago our neighbours (who we adore) had some building work done and it seems possibly around this time (honestly though we can't say for sure) a smell of stale urine (human) is working its way through in to our house. We have cats and are happy it isn't cat wee. The smell is coming through the part wall (terraced house) and seems to vent up through cracks in the floorboards. It is generally really unpleasant and got suddenly worse we have asked various people but noone has come up with the go-to person to deal with this problem. Has anyone had issues like this and what did you do in terms of fixing it - Builder? Structural Engineer? We love our neighbours and just want the problem solved.

If you could pm with thoughts that would be great as we are getting pretty desparate now.

Cheers

You could try putting a largish amount of some strong smelling liquid (disinfectant, bleach, ...) firstly down your own loo, to see if that smell reaches you by the unconventional route. If that isn't detectable within a day or two, then perhaps provide some more and ask your neighbours if they will kindly do the same? If that turns out positive, I think that gives good grounds for their being involved in getting a professional investigation underway.

Is it possible to be certain that it's the human product? Are there any other possible candidates?

Obviously a body that's been bricked in by your neighbours builders slowly decaying 😱

Have they gotten divorced recently or changed nannies ...

Joking aside it could possibly be a dead animal trapped or alternatively an ammonia-like odor after a period of rain could be caused by mold. Water promotes mold growth, and odors from mold are more noticeable when the area is wet, There maybe a broken roof tile or something is getting wet behind the walls (pipe not joined correctly for example)

As mentioned earlier ask your neighbour to see if they can smell anything as that will help track where it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously a body that's been bricked in by your

> neighbours builders slowly decaying 😱

>

> Have they gotten divorced recently or changed

> nannies ...

>

> Joking aside it could possibly be a dead animal

> trapped or alternatively an ammonia-like odor

> after a period of rain could be caused by mold.

> Water promotes mold growth, and odors from mold

> are more noticeable when the area is wet, There

> maybe a broken roof tile or something is getting

> wet behind the walls (pipe not joined correctly

> for example)

>

> As mentioned earlier ask your neighbour to see if

> they can smell anything as that will help track

> where it is.

I agree with this guy. It is possible that this is a moldy smell.

Spartacus Wrote:

> Obviously a body that's been bricked in by your neighbours builders slowly decaying 😱

> Have they gotten divorced recently or changed nannies ...

> Joking aside it could possibly be a dead animal trapped or alternatively an ammonia-like odor after a period of rain could be caused by mold. Water promotes mold growth, and odors from mold are more noticeable when the area is wet, There maybe a broken roof tile or something is getting wet behind the walls (pipe not joined correctly for example)

> As mentioned earlier ask your neighbour to see if they can smell anything as that will help track where it is.

I agree with this guy. It is possible that this is a moldy smell. If so, then you urgently need to take action to get rid of it. Recently I ran into a mold problem and it turned out to be a very serious problem, which if not immediately resolved, it can turn into something very bad. I do not advise you to use regular products from the store, as the likelihood that they will help you is very low. Perhaps the advice from some forums will be useful to you, but basically they are all the same type and only affect the mold that has just begun to appear. Try to turn to professionals. They will be able to identify if it is mold and can get rid of it.

• 4 weeks later...

OliviaBlakeMER wrote today 21/8 at 16:32:

---------------------------------------

> In my opinion, the problem is

> serious enough and for a start, you

> definitely need to contact a

> processional plumber who can answer

> most of your questions, because this is,

> by any means, a problem with the sewage system.

Olivia BlakeMER, is this you? https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?members/oliviablakemer.76933/#latest-activity

What link are you planning on planting there?

ianr Wrote:

> OliviaBlakeMER wrote today 21/8 at 16:32:

> ---------------------------------------

> > In my opinion, the problem is

> > serious enough and for a start, you

> > definitely need to contact a

> > processional plumber who can answer

> > most of your questions, because this is,

> > by any means, a problem with the sewage system.

>

> Olivia BlakeMER, is this you?

> https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?members/olivia

> blakemer.76933/#latest-activity

Why do you have to be so rude. I am just trying to help jem10nz. I don't think spammers usually talk back btw. So please can you stop being so rude to me.