EU Trade Talks Thread

keano77

We will have to wait and see. At heart, I think Boris definitely wants a trade deal, understands the importance of that. But the same issues remain over the Irish border and for all of Boris's tough talk, there will have to be concessions. The Canada deal doesn't include services so asking for a Canada style deal isn't as straight forward as it sounds.

I guess Brexit is really done once the transition of over

God knows what that?ll look like, but I hope it isn?t this year

It?s a job worth not being rushed for PR purposes

In my opinion deals are better done when you?ve got the upper hand in negotiations, I don?t think we do.

In any event trade?s easier if everyone?s working to similar regulatory requirements, so we?ll have to accept plenty of alignment to end up with a sensible arrangement (in practice, now that people who voted ?on principles? have to realise that you need to agree something that?s actually realistic and workable)

Australia is also only a market of 27 million people.

What happened to the 40 trade deals that were ready to go the second after Brexit?

The truth is that we have hundreds of trade agreements through the EU, all of which will have to be renegotiated. The very idea that we can replace tariff free access to a market of five hundred million consumers on our doorstep with a trade deal somewhere else is for the birds. The single market is the ONLY trading block that has tariff free trade on ALL goods and services.

CETA by comparison, only includes 80 percent of food products for one and doesn't include services. Canada also had to agree to open up her public sector to tender from EU companies. So any trade deal with the EU is never going to deliver full divergence, because trade deals just do not work like that. Leave supporters however have never wanted to hear the truth on that stuff and this is where I think Boris will face trouble, both from the hard Brexit ideologues within his own party and from that section of the public that don't understand how trade deals actually work.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I predict this thread could go on for years.

> Getting Brexit done is only just starting in spite

> of what some of the press and politicians might

> like you to believe.

Exactly Alan, much like the years and years of to and fro of the EEC / EU project we?ve historically had. I?ll go to on to stick my neck out say expect another 47 years of pretty much the same.

#*^%*t will never be ?done?

Press just walked out of Boris's conference as he tried to impose selective briefing. Tried to divide the press into two groups outside Downing St apparently.

Manipulative.

"Around 10 journalists were on the list - while 5/6 of us were asked to stand the other side of the room. They were the Mirror, the Independent, the i, Huffington Post, the Evening Standard, PoliticsHome and the Times"

Weird how none of those who were so certain what they voted for and that we?d be taking back control and writing our own rules and not being told what to do by ?them? have nothing to say about this

Maybe even some of those leavers can see Boris for the bullshitting self-publicist that he is and the ?oh shit? moment has happened for some of them

JohnL Wrote:

> No 10 now claiming there is an "Inner Lobby" but

> no-one has ever heard of it before.

>

> Maybe it was a secret.

There is no ?totally unacceptable? to this lot

Really, nothing is off limits.

Like Trump, only shitting on our political landscape

Leavers won?t condemn it, because it condemns the project.

Still waiting to hear the pro?s to leaving. The noodles who are usually interviewed are the mindless goons who spout the ?getting our country back? but without any explanation from what. someone please tell me what the benefits actually are

Edited to remove swear word...

In game play terms, turning leavers against remainders was a great strategy. One it gave BJ his surge to get a majority in Parliament, thus empowering him to carry out his worst.

Secondly, it stopped enough people thinking about what they were about to actually loose, beyond the vote and the election.

But now, oh yeah! We?re all losers, and a division is set into the country.

Divide and rule, writ large!

Then we have a serial liar as PM to go out and forge ?deep and meaningful trade relationships? on our behalf. A man with a proven track record of being a scheming lying untrustworthy human being, with a rep for disregarding anything he fancies to pomp up his own reputation. At a moment when you need trust, we?re set to have the least trustworthy team negotiate our future.

Right!

Blah Blah Wrote:

> And note the absence of leavers here, to discuss

> the details of those trade talks. One could be

> forgiven for thinking they don't care really. As

> long as their side is winning, the method doesn't

> bother them.

Barnier( or more accurately 'Barmier') has set out the 'EU Terms' for fishing OUR waters....arrogance of the man- just about sums it all up- after the EU asset-stripped the UK since 1975. I have been avoiding the purchase of EU goods for a few years now- so we do not have to shout out our reasons and all the project fear stuff like you remainiacs have been doing ad nauseam. I see Seabag refers to remainers as 'remainders' yes- left-overs...

uncleglen Wrote:

>

>

> Barnier( or more accurately 'Barmier') has set out

> the 'EU Terms' for fishing OUR waters....arrogance

> of the man

So you thought that we?d tell them that their rules were shit even tho we backed almost all of them and after they seen us burn their flag

And then that we?d take back control and write our own rules (even tho we don?t know what)

And the EU would just say fine, cherry pick what you want?

How stupid