Freedom pass re-issue, March 2020 expiry

Penguin68

Has anyone locally yet received their re-issued Freedom passes, if their current pass expires in March 2020? According to the website. Southwark re-issues were due to be sent out this week https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/older-persons-freedom-pass/renewing-your-pass for those living in Southwark.

As of today's (07/03/20) post, my better half and I have received nothing.

Of course, if Southwark is actually meant to be doing this - then I expect we can hope to receive nothing, ever. Or maybe they're only going to be posting to the North of the Borough?

If you have used your existing pass at all in the last 2 years, and are at the same address, the re-issue is meant to be automatic. Those who the councils believed to have moved should have been written to (presumably at their old address?). Those who have't used their pass in the last 2 years will be dropped off the system.

Did you read the bit that said ?Please allow three weeks for passes to be received.??

I also read the bit which said Your pass will be posted to you week beginning 2 March if you live within the London boroughs of:... - Not, you may note, 'commencing in the week beginning...' but 'in the week beginning' - our post is bad, but to suggest that 2nd class post takes 'up to 3 weeks' to be delivered - even in London and from Peckham - beggars belief. The next tranche goes out on 9th March, apparently - I also read You will receive your new pass before your current pass expires. - which will be a close run thing for those, if they also may take 3 weeks.

I'm sure bus drivers etc will be fine if the pass has expired.

Don't know whether they will work on automatic barriers etc though.

When I broke mine (through putting it in my back jeans pocket and then sitting on it) I just told the drivers what had happened whilst I was waiting for a replacement, and they were fine.

I have just looked at the web-site again and some boroughs have already organised this, but Southwark is listed among the boroughs expected to have provided the new passes by 27th, hope that my pass turns up before then.

Yes she is. I did the application for her & I think it was a full 3 weeks before it arrived.

Ah - different process - if you haven't moved and have used your pass in the last 2 years you don't need to apply - it's meant to be automatic. Out of interest, the copy on the link I initially posted has now been changed - it now shows boroughs in just 2 groups - those who should already have got their 'automatic' renewals and those (including Southwark) who are promised them by 27th March, with a contact point if it hasn't then arrived. The original post suggested they would all arrive 'in good time' for their expiry - 31st March 2020 - I'm not sure if 2 working days is best described as 'in good time' myself.

I contacted our local councillor (Maggie Browning)and she was advised that Southwark were sending out with effect from 9th March - I was advised that if not received by next week to contact her again. The Dulwich Hill Ward Forum is on 17th at Dulwich Library 6.30 - 8.