Panic buying hits DKH Sainsburys

edbloke

These two comments sum up the whole thing in a nutshell.

messageRe: Sainsbury?s dog kennel hill

Posted by rahrahrah March 05, 04:42PM

The loo roll thing is weird. When the food runs out, what good is ?200 worth of bog papermessageRe:

Posted by richard tudor March 05, 04:45PM

Perhaps there are more A/H in ED than anyone realised.

There was still quite a lot between 9:30 and 10:30 but they did have a price offer on Andrex, I noted. They restock every evening. Rather than bulk-buying as such maybe people are getting a pack when/ if they see low stocks. Just a few people doing that would deplete quite quickly, even if each bought only one pack. I also noted that household cleaning materials were quite low - as was ground coffee (!!?). People are also going mad for Carex anti-bacterial hand wash, even though that is useless (save as a general soap) against viral agents.

You need the herd to be healthy to protect - it's no good having all the stuff if one or two can't protect themselves so spread it everywhere.

Imagine if this was a 50% killer - our selfish attitude would put everyone at risk.

The French are not panic buying loo roll. But sales of Camus'

La Peste are way up. And the French government has shut down profiteering (aka 'repugnant materialism' by slapping a max price on hand sanitizer.

Truly, the rest of Europe is better off without us.

yorksgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The French are not panic buying loo roll. But

> sales of Camus'

> La Peste are way up. And the French government has

> shut down profiteering (aka 'repugnant

> materialism' by slapping a max price on hand

> sanitizer.

>

> Truly, the rest of Europe is better off without

> us.

Camus' La Peste - is that pasta sauce ?

Yes same here saw a women her whole trolley full up with loo roll, if people washed there hands more all the time the flu virus would not spread as much

When I was young every time come home kits wash your hands again before eating her I can't understand people eating on public transport and the smell

Maybe people will think about basic hygiene more

Yes people need to get a grip more people die of flu virus every year than this

Scare mongering. People are just responding. It's actually pathetic. People are stealing face masks from hospitals.

Too many people watch Zombie Apocalypse and absorbing everything that comes their way.

As for toilet rolls - I guess mankind didn't exist before convenient rolls of paper?

sally buying Wrote:

> Do you see the older generation acting like this

> probably not because they are not conditioned to

> respond to the crap that is being put out on

> social media.

The older generation did their fair share of stockpiling in the 1970s, long before social media and the internet. Toilet rolls were again targeted amongst other commodities including sugar, leading to the great sugar shortage when shops rationed how much sugar an individual could buy.

I don't get why people are panicking for toilet rolls, why would your first thought be to stockpile toilet roll.

it just shows you that some people are all for themselves, they don't care if anyone else needs anything.

do they still have bleach?

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> I don't get why people are panicking for toilet

> rolls, why would your first thought be to

> stockpile toilet roll.

Self-isolation.

Lots of companies up in the city have coronavirus plans in place and part of that is self-isolation and working from home if you've been in an impacted area or show symptoms. I figure people think "If i'm going to have to be locked in my house for 2 weeks i need 2 weeks worth of toilet roll". It's not a great reason, but one people might be using nonetheless.

I think the coverage of the virus and the panic-inducing headlines are crazy. 3,500 deaths worldwide with 102,000 infected. so that's 3.4% deaths based off of those numbers. Then you gotta look at whose actually dying from this. It's mostly older folk in the 70+ range or a bit younger with pre-existing conditions.

We're all much more likely to die of heart disease. However, it's not as sexy as some mysterious foreign virus that doesn't have a known vaccine yet. Spooky.

I have to strongly disagree EDguy. A new version of a virus, easily transmitted, that has no vaccine in place, with a mortality rate of up to 3%, that hospitalises at least another 10% has the potential of being a global pandemic that overwhelms health services. The efforts to contain it are right and based on expert knowledge around epidemiology. Do we really want another Spanish Flu scenario (where 100 million people died worldwide)? SARS, MERS, Ebola all had that same potential. That they didn't become global pandemics is down to experts developing processes of containment that work. COVID19 is a different challenge because of the ease at which it is spreading. And if someone is in one of those high risk groups, it doesn't help to have those who are not, downplay the risk. There would also be severe economic impacts to a full scale pandemic that would bite. We all have a responsibility AND a vested interest in taking the potential risks seriously.

Went into Farmers yesterday and were surprised to find they had sanitising and cleaning stuff a plenty. I noticed they had kitchen rolls but as to whether they had loo rolls I did not look as they were not a priority for me. If the worse came to the worse and I had to self isolate - have plenty of stuff in the freezer and loads of tins. We have a 3 times weekly delivery of milk so I could order extra foodstuffs off milkman (one of the reasons why we chose to keep our milkman even though more expensive).

Trinnydad Wrote:

> Investing in a bidet makes more sense.

My parents had one (pale green as was the fad) in the 70s

Not enough room in most flat bathrooms although considering switching from bath to shower.