We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.eastdulwichcarpetcleaning.co.uk

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
messageRe: Panic buying hits DKH Sainsburys
Posted by ianr March 22, 01:35AM

> Sainsburys at Bell Green is reducing its
> opening hours from 8am to 8pm from tomorrow
> - not sure if DKH is going to do the same.

It's general. There's a lot copied from Sainsburys on page 11 of this thread. [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Posted by Brandome19 March 22, 02:18AM

Hi all, we at organic village market on lordship lane do still have quite few groceries left in zero waste section - rice , pulses , beans , flour etc. And we have been going to fruit and vegetables market every morning and collecting fresh produces . So far we only havenít been able to get bananas from the market. We will be soon setting up the team to deliver fresh produce and groceries to elderly.

Posted by IlonaM March 22, 07:26AM

Further email update from Sainsburys CEO this morning: priority shopping in store & online:

'Dear Ilona,

We are continuing to work around the clock to feed the nation in these challenging times.

Many of you have written to me in the past 24 hours to tell me that you like the idea of priority shopping for NHS workers and for elderly and disabled customers, but that these should be at different times.

We have therefore decided to allow NHS and social care workers to shop in our supermarkets for half an hour before they open each day. So anyone with NHS ID will be able to shop from 07.30-08.00 every day from Monday to Saturday. We're delighted to be able to offer priority shopping to all the hard-working NHS staff across the country who are working so hard to keep us all safe and well.

In addition to this, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all our supermarkets will dedicate 08.00-09.00 to serving elderly customers, disabled customers and carers.

Many of you have also asked me about priority online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers.

We have been able to identify a number of customers as elderly and vulnerable based on the information they have given us previously. These details would include date of birth and if you have ever used our vulnerable customer helpline. For all of these customers, we will email you today (Sunday) with information on when slots will become available.

If you do not receive an email and you consider yourself to be vulnerable, please visit our Groceries Online website on Monday for information on how to contact us. We are also working as quickly as possible on an option for people to register themselves as disabled and vulnerable on their online shopping accounts.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to get in touch with me and share your feedback - it's because of you that we are making these changes and we will continue to listen, learn and adapt during this uncertain time.

Best wishes

Mike'

Posted by dbboy March 26, 03:10PM

12.15pm this afternoon, the queue was all around the car park to well past the back wall, 25min wait to get in, then was told at the door to "hurry up" too go in!!!!

Whilst in the store, a fight broke out between two guys in the fruit and veg isle, staff not really interceding but happy to run up and watch. The emergency alarm was left to just screech away for ages. Five police cars plus unmarked cars arrived to sort out the altercation.

Staff more interested in standing around in groups and chatting, rather then really doing much work and re-stocking the empty shelves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 26, 03:11pm by dbboy.

Posted by JohnL March 26, 04:12PM

dbboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12.15pm this afternoon, the queue was all around
> the car park to well past the back wall, 25min
> wait to get in, then was told at the door to
> "hurry up" too go in!!!!
>
> Whilst in the store, a fight broke out between two
> guys in the fruit and veg isle, staff not really
> interceding but happy to run up and watch. The
> emergency alarm was left to just screech away for
> ages. Five police cars plus unmarked cars arrived
> to sort out the altercation.
>
> Staff more interested in standing around in groups
> and chatting, rather then really doing much work
> and re-stocking the empty shelves.

Suppose to intercede means getting within 2 meters. Not sure what the protocol is here - do you let two people fight on ?

Popped very quickly into Tesco Rye Lane - 2 meter separated queue going in (some guy did try and edge up a bit), people careful not to get to close inside, temporary barrier so you can't get too close to the cashier (I think a better one will be on its way) and mostly stocked.

Posted by sally buying March 26, 04:59PM

dbboy Wrote:
>
>

What is the situation regarding goods on the shelves. I need to go as supplies getting low.

If it is 25 minutes plus wait and zero on the shelves it might be a pointless exercise.

Would appreciate any news. If people go could there be a steady up date as to the queues most people are on their phones all the time so news would help regulate queues.

Many thanks

Posted by Bic Basher March 26, 05:06PM

The queuing was a lot more quicker at 3pm. I waited 10 mins to get into the store, but when I left, the queue was back to the nursery.

Posted by vic.ham March 26, 05:22PM

dbboy Wrote:
>
>

At least the store is still trading, thanks to the staff turning up every day during this difficult time, not to mention having to put up with abuse and moaning from some greedy and selfish customers!
I hear Sainsburys are recruiting at the moment, why don't you apply and see how long you last?

Posted by dbboy March 26, 06:24PM

Still trading just as they are elsewhere in SE23 and SE26, not sure what point you're attempting to make?

Yes, it is a difficult time, I commented on what I factually saw happening this afternoon. It's bad enough queuing to leave the store, let alone go in. But it might just deter those going day after day to stock up though?

Posted by rupert james March 26, 06:35PM

What about the stock on the shelves over the course of the day.

This would be of great importance to everyone.

Posted by rupert james March 27, 09:54AM

Sally Buying asked.

"Would appreciate any news. If people go could there be a steady up date as to the queues most people are on their phones all the time so news would help regulate queues."

Also what is the stock situation is like.

Have a bad feeling panic buying could raise its head before the weekend.

Many thanks

Posted by teddyboy23 March 27, 12:51PM

Queue today 11.30am coming out of the carpark on to dog kennelhill .

Posted by richard tudor March 27, 01:00PM

Thanks Teddyboy.

The only person to have responded to help people.

Perhaps people are worried that if they tell what the situation is they will not be able to stock up.

As most people cannot take a piss unless commanded by twitter I can understand it,

Posted by ctovey March 27, 01:00PM

Went to Sainsburys this morning for the OAP session. Queued for approx. 30mins around the car park. All very orderly and well organised by staff. Got everything we needed, although noticed that there was no flour, eggs or pasta products and tinned food a bit sparse. Plenty of fresh veg and fruit, cooked meat products, dairy, milk, bread. Staff very good natured and appreciated being thanked when we left.

Posted by JohnL March 27, 01:13PM

I'm looking for eggs, ice, potatoes and coffee for my essentials I'm running low on next - any of these seen in Sainso's.

Edit: and if any of the above aren't essentials shhh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 27, 01:14pm by JohnL.

Posted by mrwb March 27, 01:21PM

How long can panic buying continue for?

Surely the stupidest part of this whole crisis.

If everyone just shopped normally, the problem wouldn't even exist!!!

Posted by ctovey March 27, 01:22PM

JohnL
Potatoes and coffee definitely available this morning. No eggs, don't know about ice

Posted by dbboy March 27, 02:32PM

Sainsbo had coffee in stock yesterday lunch time, don't know about potatoes, there seems to be a general shortage of eggs all around, don't know why as they have limited shelf life of a couple of weeks max. The butcher I use had none yesterday and said people had been coming from other parts of south London to buy 10 trays at a time from them, they have now restricted quantities of eggs to max one tray per Regular customer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 27, 02:43pm by dbboy.

Posted by edcam March 27, 03:01PM

Just back. Long queue but all quite civilised. Not too badly stocked (although no eggs or flour.) Pretty good stock of fruit and veg. We found the last bottle of hand wash.

Posted by malumbu March 27, 03:11PM

I've been to a few shops selling groceries over the last two to three weeks. I'm pleased to say they all had food and alcohol. Similarly filling stations have petrol and diesel. I'm happy to provide a daily update. Although I expect that my reports wont change. Sorry I can't tell you which shops I am using as you may rush out and clear the shelves of my favourite biscuits.

Posted by mancity68 March 27, 03:58PM

How is the Coop on Lordship Lane looking. Went in last Saturday at 730am and shelves pretty bereft

Posted by natty01295 March 27, 04:08PM

CO-OP - East Dulwich
Still Empty Shelves, closes at 8pm Now to restock every night

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 27, 04:16pm by natty01295.

Posted by natty01295 March 27, 04:15PM

Store information Dog Kennel Hill
Main Store
Open today from 08:00 to 20:00

Store opening hours
Monday
08:00 - 20:00
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
11:00 - 17:00

Posted by Bic Basher March 27, 05:00PM

The queue at Forest Hill Sainsbury's wasn't as long if all you want are a few things.

Posted by teddyboy23 March 27, 05:34PM

I think because people are observing the 2 metre rule plus having a trolley as well which is about another metre in lengh. The queues look worse .than what they really are .if that makes sense.

Posted by Bic Basher Yesterday, 04:56PM

They were nearly fully stocked with loo roll this afternoon. Queuing was around 15 mins from the nursery to the main entrance.

Posted by ianr Yesterday, 08:16PM

> Queuing was around 15 mins from the
> nursery to the main entrance.

What determined the rate of entry?

Posted by Bic Basher Yesterday, 09:25PM

ianr Wrote:
> > Queuing was around 15 mins from the
> > nursery to the main entrance.
>
> What determined the rate of entry?

The chap supervising it today was letting in groups of 2 to 4 every 3/4 mins from what I could see.

Despite this, there were still pockets of busy aisles and the queue for self service tills is longer because they're the only tills accepting cash now.

Posted by dbboy Yesterday, 10:44PM

Is this part of Sainsbo plan to make things even more inconvenient for customers, bearing in mind those on checkout are all wearing gloves.

Posted by Bic Basher Today, 03:31PM

Sainsbury's Forest Hill now has a one adult policy. They also are giving each customer hand sanitiser on their hands as they walk in.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum