Some independent stores are taking advantage of C19

Pugwash

Popped into a local independent store and noticed that they had both pasta and hand wash - pasta was 89p - hand wash Cien unpriced ( this is normally sold in places like Lidl for less than ?1.50) was told at till that hand wash was ?3.50 - queried this and stated that it was illegal to hike up prices - was told that cash and carry had increased prices so they must also. I refused to buy the hand wash. Spoke to 2 other people who are in retail and catering business who advised that if cash and carry had increased prices it would be only a small amount and no where near double to justify the store increasing this much. Should I contact Trading Standards?

Sainsbury's shop this afternoon - no potatoes, hardly any veg, no w.u. liquid, limited supply of meat and fish, no frozen veg, tea or coffee. managed to get some liver sausage at the Deli counter and taking with assistant about shortages, she advised that over the weekend people were taking large amounts of meat to store in their freezers.

Lot of older people walking around with trolleys trying to find food - no eggs or pasta but plenty of long life milk.

I know they're a bit more pricey but I have found Sainsburys Local to be better stocked than DKH in a few of those things - there was plenty of veg, tea, coffee, eggs, meat, fish today (not loo roll!!)

I bought loo roll from a local independent - I was charged the RRP of ?2.50 as printed on the pack for 4 rolls of Andrex. I admit I bought 2 packs but there were still plenty on the shelves - again, a bit more pricey but worth it!

To be fair, Kristals in Nunhead had said their suppliers' prices were hiked up so that had to pass it on.

Not all small businesses are bring greedy; some might be of course.

As for it being illegal to hike up the prices. Where did you read that? Go round and tell the petrol station charging ?1.27 when I just got it down the road for ?1.19 a litre.

The same shop also tried to sell a clearly marked bag of frozen peas 'Special Offer ?1 00' this was a proper manufacturer's plastic bag not a sticky label. Friend went to pay for it and the shop requested ?2.40, she pointed out that this was clearly labelled ?1.00 and was told that it was due to Cash and Carry charging a lot more. My friend stood her ground and as she was purchasing the peas for another friend who was partially sighted and had mobility difficulties, paid the man ?1 took the peas and walked out She said if the shop keeper called the Police she could show clearly that it was the manufacturer who set the price.

I have nothing against independent shops selling items at a higher price than supermarkets. I did notice in Sainsbury's Local that an item which I pay ?2.40 for in DKH was ?2.75

It was on one the Government's Q % A sessions last week where someone raised the question of shops/firms using the shortage of goods to inflate prices which were currently on shelves - the answer came back that it was illegal to do this with current stock. In this case the shop had obviously purchased from Lidl - and had trebled the price.

I would hate to see what the shop would have charged for the Carex hand wash.

During the current climate, some business will try and profit from a challenging situation. Nonethless generally independent stores and the big chain stores are struggling to keep stocks at a normal level. A lot of stores are now restricting purchase items per person. I was in my local Tesco in Elmers End a 24 hour store, its now open from 10am-6pm

We in the Retail industry are struggling to keep up demand, due to extraordinarily high purchases, due to bulk buying. We only ask if the community can purchase what they need, the wholesalers are struggling to get the stock, which then will have an impact on the customers.

Thank you

I was in Sussex yesterday visiting family who I may not be able to see if we go into lockdown. Daughter had run out of bread and we were waiting delivery at the local Co Op. I picked up 2 Kingsmill white loaves (?1.00) and asked the shop assistant if there was a limit to number per customer and was advised 2 was maximum. I thought this very fair in contrast to Sainsbury's.

I gather from a friend who regularly purchases cleaning and catering products from Mackro that earlier this week, most of the warehouse was empty so am fully aware of the difficulties.

We have taken a similar stance now, no more then 2 items of the same product per customer. We have signs up in the shop regarding the current situation, customers are helping by not bulk buying.

We are part of the ED retail whatsup group, and had received photos from one of our retail colleagues of the army in clapham. This was followed by news of lockdown from tonight.

We won't be closing we are a health and food store, we have recruited team members, to support the community and the store through this challenging time.

Take care ED.

The army in Clapham photo is over a year old and shows cadets on parade. The people who are circulating that and other similar photos on social media, suggesting that we are about to go into a military curfew, are totally irresponsible idiots (Monica not suggesting the person who circulated it to you is - mean the people who deliberately tried to start this rumour).

monica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have taken a similar stance now, no more then 2

> items of the same product per customer. We have

> signs up in the shop regarding the current

> situation, customers are helping by not bulk

> buying.

> We are part of the ED retail whatsup group, and

> had received photos from one of our retail

> colleagues of the army in clapham. This was

> followed by news of lockdown from tonight.

> We won't be closing we are a health and food

> store, we have recruited team members, to support

> the community and the store through this

> challenging time.

> Take care ED.

Do you have red lentils?

Apparently up to 40 tube stations are to be closed from today and a restricted bus service enabling essential workers to get to their places of work. In Spain, where my son lives, they are already in lockdown. The police are out in force patrolling areas, stopping cars and people to ask where they are headed and what the purpose of their journey is. We haven't quite reached that stage but it could happen as there are a lot of people who are not treating this seriously enough. Unfortunately, lots of businesses will suffer, particularly in the hospitality sector, so we could lose our favourite pubs and restaurants. We're in for a pretty tough time of it (to state the bl**ding obvious) but it's a time when we need to help one another and we can do this by not panic buying or stockpiling, making sure our elderly and less abled are ok, walking rather than using public transport and using the smaller local shops. We need to be selfless rather than selfish as we're all in the same boat.

Some chemists are doubling prices of items like sanitisers.

In panic I paid ?12.95 for a 250ml bottle of sanitisers at a chemist in Nunhead - they told me wholesalers are charging more which is hardly believable when the next day I saw the same bottle at another chemist for ?6.99.

Two weeks ago a 100ml bottle cost 99p or less.

I was in Kristals in Nunhead earlier today. They had loads of hand sanitiser and were charging ?4.99 for one of the little bottles that usually sell for 99p or less. They were also selling individual face masks at extortionate prices. The thin paper surgical masks were ?1.49 each (and I think they were only 1 ply) and the fold up masks which can be re-used a very limited number of times were ?5.99 each. Boxes 50 of the surgical masks were selling on eBay last month for around ?12. I realise that wholesale prices have probably gone up, and there is a huge shortage, but I don't believe the cost has increased by 500%. I've used Kristal for ages and really expected better from them.

I think it is natural to expect prices to go up as demand goes up, but the wholesaler increasing prices one is wearing a bit thin now. A bottle of gin, with it's 40% alcohol content is likely to be a more effective killer of the virus than most hand sanitizers anyway. I made my own using lab grade Isopropyl Alcohol. That used to be ?7 for a liter bottle online. Now it has shot up to ?49 - so it is everywhere.

Hi

You need at least 60% alcohol for hand sanitisers.

Sue we are out of red lentils, due to restrictions on items from the wholesalers.

Prices have not gone up with the wholesalers, due to high demand.

Some businesses are profiteering from this challenging situation.

monica Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

>

> Sue we are out of red lentils, due to restrictions

> on items from the wholesalers.

Ok thanks Monica. Really wish I had stocked up on basics earlier :(

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> monica Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> ----

> >

> > Sue we are out of red lentils, due to

> restrictions

> > on items from the wholesalers.

>

>

> Ok thanks Monica. Really wish I had stocked up on

> basics earlier :(

Iv'e got them, I'll bring them with me when I come over, and Brazil nuts. xx

Popped into Aneto caf? on East Dulwich road today. They are selling small tins of peas for ?1.80!! Absolutely disgraceful. Cashing in to the extreme. They have a few items that they obviously are trying to get rid of before they shut shop but selling at unreal prices. Avoid like the plague.