Southwark COVID cases today 58 but Lewisham only 18

yorksgirl

Borough Number of cases as of 9am on Monday (March 16)

Kingston upon Thames 2

Redbridge 2

Richmond upon Thames 2

Newham 3

Croydon 4

Waltham Forest 4

Havering 5

Bexley 8

Enfield 8

Barking and Dagenham 10

Bromley 11

Islington 11

Sutton 11

Hounslow 12

Merton 12

Tower Hamlets 12

Hillingdon 13

Harrow 14

Haringey 16

Lewisham 17

Ealing 18

Greenwich 18

Brent 20

Hackney and the City of London 20

Wandsworth 20

Hammersmith and Fulham 21

Camden 22

Barnet 25

Lambeth 26

Southwark 33

Westminster 37

Kensington and Chelsea 43

Total 480

A friend of mine has it.

He's been told to self isolate & told not to go to the hospital or gp.

He asked to be tested & according to 101(I think!) they are no longer testing people.

This is far worse than what we are being told.

There are many people who have it, who haven't been tested.

If you haven't been tested you wouldn't be added to the statistics!

sweetgirl Wrote:

---------------------------------------------------

>

> This is far worse than what we are being told.

> There are many people who have it, who haven't

> been tested.

> If you haven't been tested you wouldn't be added

> to the statistics!

Totally agree. "They" are trying to make the situation look better than it is. Though also, they apparently don't have anything near the number of testing kits required.

Other countries have rigorously tested and therefore much more efficiently contained the virus.

But what is really inexcusable is that NHS frontline staff are not being tested.

There is a heart consultant (I think it was) who went home with a fever and cough. He was told he would not be tested (he is trying to get a test kit from a colleague abroad).

He has potentially infected both patients and other staff, but nobody is being tested.

An elderly woman on his ward died of the virus. He is sure she got it whilst at the hospital.

We are in the hands of a bunch of muppets.

ETA:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/there-is-a-policy-of-surrender-doctor-on-uks-covid-19-failures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Feed

In a word, yes. We don't have enough testing kits and we don't seem to be doing enough to order what we are going to need. It is as though someone in government said, we've tested 40k people and only a tiny fraction were positive, so why bother? They completely fail to understand the value of testing in helping people to take the right action to slow the spread of the infection. We are therefore now in a situation where only those who show symptoms, and those who have contact with those people, will self isolate. This means the opportunity for the virus to spread is not hindered as much as it could be. Medical professionals are pointing out the lunacy of this. No-one is listening.

In the first select committee on 5 March https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/a94cc1f0-4358-4a25-8b93-914675f6b9ff Jenny Harries, Deputy Chief Medical Office said that current capacity was 2,000 tests per day ( though i'm sure figures show more than that on some days ) and that it would increase to 10,000 from 13 March .

Priority for testing needs to be given to HCP ,especially as there are now reports like this -

"I treat patients who are proven to have coronavirus. One week ago, I was wearing full PPE [personal protective equipment]. That consists of a proper FFP3 mask [offering high respiratory protection], a visor, a surgical gown, and two pairs of gloves"

"Now we?ve been told not to bother with any of that. They?ve told us ?just treat it as though it?s seasonal flu?. Now we are expected to wear just a normal surgical mask, a pair of ordinary short gloves, and a plastic apron that doesn?t cover all of you like a surgical gown does. I would see other patients around the hospital in the same scrubs, and the scrubs could have coronavirus on them"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/im-losing-faith-in-the-leadership-a-doctors-story-coronavirus

Blackcurrant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Clusters form wherever it seeds, which involves a

> large element of random chance. Hence Iran and

> Italy exploding randomly after China. I don't

> think you can read much into it. The pace of

> increase is similar in most places once community

> spread is established.

If you're only testing where there's a link you'll find clusters.

Doesn't mean there aren't other cases not being tested. We are not testing randomly from what I gathered - actually I thought we were only testing hospital admissions unless it changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/testing-for-coronavirus-what-being-done-in-uk

"Testing now mostly takes place in hospital. People in intensive care units and those with respiratory illness, especially if it is pneumonia, will get tested for Covid-19. When there is a cluster of infections, such as an outbreak in a care home, those people will also be tested."

What do we expect from a man who?s lied through his teeth in every job he?s been in, then he gets voted in as the ?get things done? leader of the country.

We?re being led by a team of ministers and a party that supported the lies, so it?s unlikely they?re going to change their tactics now. In short they care little for telling the truth, because the truth is almost unbelievable in this case. They?ve cut and slashed the arse out of the NHS for years, underfunded it, undersupplied it too. And it?s now becoming glaringly apparent in the worst case possible situation. The gamble they?ve been playing for political gain has backfired.

We ?the people? will take the brunt of it. Johnson, who?s so wanted to to take the glory of leadership is now facing the unvarnished and unspun truth of it all. Look at his face now, it?s harrowed and haunted, though we?re not even in the most perilous ?thick of it? yet.

I?d not expect too much of most of the people in charge, they?re conducting a self interested arse covering excercise as much as a COVID-19 management plan.

Information will be drip fed, leaked in, revealed by journalists I reckon. The current government won?t be the source of all the information we need I fear.

However, in times like this the EDF comes into its own. It?s good to be able to ask and discuss with people, the questions we have and look for some of the answers we might need. People on here are generally good hearted and generous. There?s a few weirdos, but we like it like that.

Thank you to the EDF 👍🏽

you don't have to want or like a left wing government for seabag's criticism of Johnson and co to be objectively true

governments of all hues in all nations are clearly struggling with this virus - but some countries are doing much better than others - and I wouldn't rate ours that highly

dbboy Wrote:

> Oh here we go again, just blame the Government for

> everything, I fear what it might have been like

> with the left wing party's.

Ironically, the Tories have been throwing money around (in the budget, not the virus stuff) in a manner which prior to the election people were supposedly concerned that Labour would do.

Where had the Magic Money Tree been hiding all these past ten years of austerity, and how did it suddenly magically appear?

dbboy Wrote:

> As of yesterday the "official" figure was 71

> deaths of the 1950 reported cases in the UK, that

> gives a mortality rate of 3.64% (circa 4%). That

> is very scary.

But as this thread is pointing out, most people who have it have not been tested/reported. So the death rate is likely very much lower

You can legitimately argue that the NHS has been underfunded, it's harder to say that it's been 'cut and slashed' when spending has been ring fenced and above inflation since the great crash. whatever your political views false beliefs/ *facts*, however legitamately held need to be challenged. it's palpably untrue that NHS spend has been cut.

Sue Wrote:

> dbboy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Oh here we go again, just blame the Government

> for

> > everything, I fear what it might have been like

> > with the left wing party's.

>

>

>

> Ironically, the Tories have been throwing money

> around (in the budget, not the virus stuff) in a

> manner which prior to the election people were

> supposedly concerned that Labour would do.

>

> Where had the Magic Money Tree been hiding all

> these past ten years of austerity, and how did it

> suddenly magically appear?

well it would have already been spent on free broadband for everyone with Corbyn and McDonnell in charge....

I'm sure any government would struggle but the scenario where the experts were backing a let it spread a bit before we introduce more social distancing and then went "hang on a minute" lets look at the figures in Italy ,maybe time to change our mind ,just isn't reassuring .

And while of course I wish her well ,isn't it rather early days in what we know of the infection's progress to be declaring Dorries' mother as recovered ? Chris Whitty citing it as a good news story smacks to me of scraping the barrel and desperation .

Nadine was dx on the 10 March and reports came out on the 14th that her mother had also contracted the illness .

don't know where the money tree came from

Agreed, they are throwing money around just like it was feared Labour would do, but this is because of the danger the virus can do both health and financially.

Mortality rate is based on the figures provided by Govt, if more people have it, then the mortality rate will Increase.

dbboy, are you including in your calculation the number of people who are infected but have not come to any attention, or those who, recorded case or not, are currently infected but will die later? I think the worldometer site has a useful primer on the difficulties of specifying a mortality rate.