Has anyone in ED actually heard about the virus?

worldwiser

It doesn't seem that people in any country take any notice, however dire (and appropriate) the warnings.

Hence France and Belgium having to impose lockdown now, Italy and Spain already doing it.

Boris Johnson refusing to take advantage of the virus lag in this country by learning those lessons, so I guess lockdown will only come here when it's too late and as a result more people will needlessly die or have their lungs permanently damaged.

Southwark has second highest number of reported cases as of today in the entire UK.

Teenagers & workmen hacking up phlegm & spitting it everywhere, a disgusting bald white guy walking down Frogley road with Marks bags yesterday openly sneezing onto people without a care in his scumbag mind, people from all backgrounds coughing into their hands or just openly on the bus then using the same hand to hold onto the rail & press the button...

Despite the supposedly major increase of ABC1's into the area post-90s, the behaviour on show daily makes it clear why the figures are high.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think maybe there's an element of enjoying the

> last days of normality for a long, long time.

>

> I did that over the weekend... out for beers and

> curry both Fri and Sat night. Next weekend that

> probably won't even be possible.

Especially if you're dead. Absolutely no beer or curry.

se22cat Wrote:

> Teenagers & workmen hacking up phlegm & spitting

> it everywhere, a disgusting bald white guy walking

> down Frogley road with Marks bags yesterday openly

> sneezing onto people without a care in his scumbag

> mind, people from all backgrounds coughing into

> their hands or just openly on the bus then using

> the same hand to hold onto the rail & press the

> button...

>

> Despite the supposedly major increase of ABC1's

> into the area post-90s, the behaviour on show

> daily makes it clear why the figures are high.

Phlegm means it's not Covid19 :) just disgusting normal stuff

yorksgirl Wrote:

> fishbiscuits Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think maybe there's an element of enjoying

> the

> > last days of normality for a long, long time.

> >

> > I did that over the weekend... out for beers

> and

> > curry both Fri and Sat night. Next weekend that

> > probably won't even be possible.

>

> Especially if you're dead. Absolutely no beer or

> curry.

What if you've had it already - no-one is answering that. I know some say it can re-occur or hibernate in someone for a while.

JohnL Wrote:

> Phlegm means it's not Covid19 :) just disgusting

> normal stuff

Actually that's not necessarily true.

Yes, a dry cough is one of the main symptoms, but as I understand it coughing up thick phlegm can also be a synptom (though at that stage you'd probably be quite ill).

Sue Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Phlegm means it's not Covid19 :) just

> disgusting

> > normal stuff

>

>

> Actually that's not necessarily true.

>

> Yes, a dry cough is one of the main symptoms, but

> as I understand it coughing up thick phlegm can

> also be a synptom (though at that stage you'd

> probably be quite ill).

I didn't actually know that - (I would avoid people sounding that ill anyway although it sounds harsh).

Just got an email from my old university (Kings) - they have advised all students to go home - so maybe students having a goodbye fling. Not seen as many in Rye Lane late at night recently.

Reminder - it was St Patrick's day yesterday - biggest drinking day of the year normally but almost forgotten this year.

I thought this was useful:How do I know if I have coronavirus?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51934576/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-coronavirus

Also a colleague of mine has had it (a healthy chap). I will confirm that I know him and he had it, it's not a friend of a friend of a doctor in France etc. He said:

"Here are things I noticed to date (hopefully I am at the end of it)

1) It spreads amazingly quickly, I can count 14 people in my family / friends that then had the exact same symptoms.

2) For all the people I know, it was a mild illness. Fever and slight cough. I have had worse flu a few times.

3) No extra toilet paper used

4) As advertised, thankfully, the kids only got a fever for a short period.

5) 5 of us have no sense of taste or smell at all now (not from a blocked nose)

This is not to make light of the situation but to hopefully give some reassurance that, for the majority, this will be the illness."

I'm not sure I can find it again easily, but there is a chart from a credible source which gives a breakdown of symptoms from nearly 56,000 people who tested positive for the virus in China.

The figures were from February.

From memory, nearly 90% had fever (ie not everybody did).

I think the next highest percentage was the dry cough.

BUT a significant number of people had symptoms which included sore throat, nausea, cough with phlegm, aching muscles ((I think it was), diarrhoea (low % but a lot in terms of actual numbers).

Assuming the positive test results were accurate, this means that people who may be thinking they just have, or had, a cold (for example) could actually have had the coronavirus and may have infected other people.

Sorry to alarm, but I find this quite worrying given that there are a lot of other viruses going round at the moment.

I would have thought the government would have made testing a priority, as other countries have.

Headless chickens spring to mind. Or pissups and breweries.

ETA: also, please bear in mind that whilst it is very good news that for the majority this illness will be very mild, those people with mild symptoms (or who test positive without showing symptoms) can pass the virus to others who may then become very ill and - worst case scenario - die.

So please don't take this too lightly.

Boris talking about an antibody test which we need and will help - but then talking about the economy and how those antibody positive could go back to work with a green light on their head - much too soon - we don't know enough yet.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200310/know-the-symptoms-of-covid19

"The most detailed breakdown of symptoms of the disease comes from a recent World Health Organization analysis of more than 55,000 confirmed cases in China. Here are the most common symptoms and the percentage of people who had them:

Fever: 88%

Dry cough: 68%

Fatigue: 38%

Coughing up sputum, or thick phlegm, from the lungs: 33%

Shortness of breath: 19%

Bone or joint pain: 15%

Sore throat: 14%

Headache: 14%

Chills: 11%

Nausea or vomiting: 5%

Stuffy nose: 5%

Diarrhea: 4%

Coughing up blood: 1%

Swollen eyes: 1%

The good news is that in China, most people who have gotten sick -- about 80% -- have had mild to moderate symptoms."

I think that as long as Public transport keeps running in London doors on Overground and Southern Rail as well as busses should open automatically at the stops.

I'm still commuting to work in W1 and it feels so unsanitary having to push the button to open the doors of the overground.

Also because I was fumbling to cover my fingers to press the bell to get off the bus I was a bit late in doing so and the driver didn't open the middle doors of the bus..I'm 60 years old and not the fastest on my feet and therefore he'd shut the front doors and driven off before I could get out then told me off for not pressing the bell in time.

I have taken to wearing leather gloves however on this occasion I had forgotten them.

I thought I'd add this before anyone suggests I wear gloves on public transport

It makes me feel so sad and frustrated to see people packed into pubs and restaurants.

Everyone has a duty to ensure that the infection is only spreading at a rate that the NHS can cope with so that we don't end up like Italy where the poor, overstretched medical staff have the awful task of choosing who gets treatment based on who has the best chance of survival and who is left to die.

I, like I'm sure many of you, have relatives that are vulnerable either due to age or medication and they would be the ones with a worse chance of survival than the younger, healthier people in the bars and restaurants. They would be the ones that paid the price for people ignoring the advice on social distancing.

We already know that people in the 20-40 age bracket can also require hospitalisation and ICUs in some cases, nobody is guaranteed a pass on this.

I don't mean to sound preachy, I just really hope that people start taking notice.

Malumbu, some threads are offering advice, others are a general discussion around COVID issues.

On people and pubs. I think there are many people who won't see what is coming until it is before their eyes. In other words, when people they know start getting ill and the numbers of deaths shoot up. Today I heard quite a few people laughing and joking about the situation, and panic buying etc. One person even said to me the whole thing is a hoax! This is the kind of ignorance that leads to governments having to use draconian emergency powers.

malumbu Wrote:

> This is a site for advice and help. Go to the

> lounge if you want to have wider discussions.

The post you are referring to is on topic with the name of this thread. Perhaps you should ask admin to move the thread to the lounge if you think it's inappropriate?