We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Has anyone in ED actually heard about the virus?
Posted by Loulou March 20, 04:42PM

Hello
If you can do one thing today
Listen to this link, Switch on and Stay in. This is REAL!
[youtu.be]

LL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 20, 06:16pm by Loulou.

Posted by Alan Medic March 20, 06:11PM

Very powerful. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by Sue March 20, 07:59PM

Loulou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello
> If you can do one thing today
> Listen to this link, Switch on and Stay in. This
> is REAL!
> [youtu.be]
>
> LL

Just listened to it.

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully it will make people realise that every time they unnecessarily leave their homes they are putting lives at risk.

At least the government has finally taken some action to close down some of the places where people were going.

Very very frightening indeed that this doctor's unit is already full, and things have scarcely started in this country.

Posted by siousxiesue March 20, 08:15PM

Sobering

Loulou Wrote:
> Hello
> is REAL!
> [youtu.be]
>
> LL

Posted by Blah Blah March 20, 10:10PM

Sue Wrote:

> Perhaps we need a virtual pub!
>
> We could all sit at home with our drink of choice
> and make inconsequential chit chat over Zoom or
> something (not quite sure how that works, is it
> like Skype but like a conference call??)
>
> Cheers!

Zoom is great for this and is totally free to use. We have already been arranging virtual pub nights with our friends this way. Having a supply of whatever your favourite tipple is, is necessary though ;)

It is a great way to face to face converse and musicians are also using it to do free online gigs.

Posted by Blah Blah March 20, 10:22PM

Loulou Wrote:
> Hello
> is REAL!
> [youtu.be]
>
> LL

This is what I have been trying to tell people for the last month! They have no idea what is coming. And it is those people who ignore the message, that require governments to take the draconian measures. Thank you for the link. We can all share it widely. And we can all understand the risk our front line workers are taking to keep us safe. Some of them will have children. All of them have people who love them. Some of them are going to pay the ultimate price. It's a sobering thought.

Posted by dbboy March 20, 10:52PM

Posted by EPB March 21, 07:21AM

And when you’ve listened to this heartbreaking interview, go to the What’s On section and see what Chick has to say. (It’s the thread about a Thursday night film club).
Unbelievable !!

Posted by Loulou March 21, 08:13AM

EPB - this beggars belief.

Southwark has one of the highest number of confirmed cases, this will only increase if the people of ED continue to go about their daily business as if nothing is happening.

Do we want to have the highest death rates?....NO....then it is quite simple....STAY IN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 21, 08:36am by Loulou.

Posted by savvygirl March 21, 11:28AM

Even if you are young and fairly resilient to this virus you could still be carrying it. Without realising, you could pass it on to ten others who could possibly pass it on to ten more. That is how this deadly virus will spread. Our doctors and nurses are under great strain at present trying to cope and risking their lives. Let’s do all we can to help them by not being thoughtless and selfish and self-isolating where possible. We’re being asked to stay at home sitting on a couch watching television and DVDs, possibly reading a book or magazine, so how hard is that? I daresay a short walk would be ok so long as there’s no contact with others, or at least 6ft between you. Parts of Europe are already in lockdown so it may be necessary for our Government to take similar action. At the moment we are being treated like sensible adults but not all of us fall into that category!

Posted by Dulwich handy March 27, 06:52PM

Don't know if anyone is interested in reading how I feel beeing positive .
---
Before cough etc I felt well tired for couple of days just lifeless
Diarrhoea for 3 days
Cough came after
Lack of appetite
More annoying cough almost 60sec at the time
Mostly during day randomly never in the morning
Then came fever 37.5°-39.5°
(3 consecutive days)
Chest pain
Shortage of breath
- that time called for help that never came
Been told to stay home !
Left to die!
With no access to help or chance to get out to get medications
I've done what the ambulance crew done to my child few years back
- ice cold bath for 3-5min
Temperature went down do °37
Then up again
Same cold bath
Stabilized at 36.6°
Started feeling good and full of energy again
Cough still there
(10 days in by now )
Lost sense of smell
Literally can't smell anything for past 2 days
(Day 12)
Feel like my eyes want to pop out
Ave no sense of taste as well now
Humongous headaches
My eyes hurt
My chest hurt
Coughing almost half a day
Can't smell
Can't taste
But anxious due to overdose of amphetamine filled over counter drugs
(Cold and flu meds are filled with performance drugs! - to keep you on your feet ...
Learned that when I was tested positive at work for class A amphetamine when never tried it ... after reading I found out that bechams and anadin are filled with it )
2 weeks into the bagger I think I can survive
(Already made a cross over myself ...
As I have a chest condition - life threatening TB... still standing but I'm poorly can't get out and if I can I don't want to go to spread the @#$%& ! )
Food supplies on low
Self-esteem on its lowest
DWP takes it's time and asking tons of questions before any money comes in
Got a sick note
Cut out of the world and hope so far
That's my symptoms
My story
Everything feels like a movie theme ...
Stay home people
Its not a nice feeling
I'm a soldier who will fight till i die
(My love has it ...
My mum
My dad ..)
I feel tired
So tired now
It will end one way or another

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 27, 06:55pm by Dulwich handy.

Posted by KidKruger March 27, 07:34PM

wow - if this isn't WHY we should not be near each other outside at this time, I don't know what is.

I hope you recover well and strong Dulwich Handy, thanks for sharing.
Tough read though !

Posted by Sue March 27, 08:06PM

Dulwich Handy, sending you and your loved ones love, and best wishes for a full recovery x

Posted by dimples March 28, 12:27AM

Thankyou for sharing that Dulwich handy ,
wish you a speedy recovery now and hope your well deserved money comes through 🌺

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher March 28, 07:50AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 28, 08:02am by Peckhamgatecrasher.

Posted by yeknomyeknom March 28, 12:45PM

I’m looking out of my window all day long at families, mid day, popping to the shop, buying ice lolly’s, meandering slowly down the street, stopping to talk to other families without distancing. People out with masks and protection walking carefully at distance and being taken over from behind by people not caring about distancing. An old lady sticking her head out of her gate with a letter to post at the postbox nearby, making a dash for it and a bunch of kids go running by having fun.

It all seems so wrong. An intensive unit nurse from Kings has killed herself today. Hospital staff are seeing things they should never see, things clearly a lot of us are failing to even imagine, are risking their lives for us and working crazy hours then coming home from their night shifts to see people sunbathing and gambolling around without a care in the world.

Please follow government advice to stay at home for everything except emergencies. It will keep you safe, it will keep others safe, it will save lives and at the very least it will show a bit of respect for the unfortunate, kind souls who have to go out to help fight this thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 28, 12:50pm by yeknomyeknom.

Posted by first mate March 28, 12:49PM

Buying icecream, takeaway coffee- both witnessed today- madness.

Posted by JohnL March 28, 12:55PM

Again Day 12 seems danger day (if you even are able to count).

I'm seeing too many comments on social media along the lines of "people who die were going to die anyway"

Posted by dbboy March 28, 01:25PM

yeknomyeknom Wrote:
> An intensive unit nurse
> from Kings has killed herself today. Hospital
> staff are seeing things they should never see,
> things clearly a lot of us are failing to even
> imagine, are risking their lives for us and
> working crazy hours then coming home from their
> night shifts to see people sunbathing and
> gambolling around without a care in the world.
>
>
This is so scary. I'm so sad to hear that an Intensive Care nurse from Kings has killed herself today - such a wasted life.

Posted by Gingergossip March 28, 05:33PM

I watched in horror a man picking his nose in my local Day Lewis pharmacy. His name is J.....

Posted by dbboy March 28, 06:21PM

Today's data

no. of confirmed covid - 19 cases, 17,089
no. of confirmed covid - 19 deaths, 1019

% of covid - 19 deaths 5.96%

The curve is beginning to increase dramatically, what's more worrying is that the UK Govt do not expect to see the peak before two to three weeks time.

And today the Government said that if the UK has 20,000 deaths (think how many confirmed cases that will require) the UK will have been lucky. Luck has nothing to do with this, they believe the number of deaths could, yes could reach a staggering 500,000. That is damn scary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 28, 06:26pm by dbboy.

Posted by Danineastdulwich March 28, 07:00PM

Would not advise going into butchers right now- broke their own rules of max 2 people inside as people were being “too slow”.Meant 4 people within touching distance bundled into a 1 meter space! People still aren’t getting it.

Posted by tasha1 March 28, 07:26PM

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

This is something I wrote today in the lounge but also very relevant for this thread

Posted by JohnL March 28, 07:26PM

Sky News are pushing the 20,000 deaths thing and had someone from Imperial (not the official Imperial COVID team) to back them up and make the influenza comparison but he seemed strange - as if he was holding something back.

Then they started saying an economic dip causes deaths too - I do hope they are not heading towards pushing the Trump agenda of going back to work ASAP (i.e. before Easter). I notice the business secretary was doing todays government briefing.

Posted by Ghlpc March 29, 09:36AM

dbboy Wrote:
> Today's data
>
> no. of confirmed covid - 19 cases, 17,089
> no. of confirmed covid - 19 deaths, 1019
>
> % of covid - 19 deaths 5.96%
>
> The curve is beginning to increase dramatically,
> what's more worrying is that the UK Govt do not
> expect to see the peak before two to three weeks
> time.
>
> And today the Government said that if the UK has
> 20,000 deaths (think how many confirmed cases that
> will require) the UK will have been lucky. Luck
> has nothing to do with this, they believe the
> number of deaths could, yes could reach a
> staggering 500,000. That is damn scary.

Just want to say, the 5.96% figure is a bit misleading.

This is only from confirmed, tested cases.

We have been told that it is likely much, much higher than this, which means the mortality rate is lower.

Not to downplay the seriousness of the situation of course, but I've

Posted by Ghlpc March 29, 09:42AM

dbboy Wrote:
> Today's data
>
> no. of confirmed covid - 19 cases, 17,089
> no. of confirmed covid - 19 deaths, 1019
>
> % of covid - 19 deaths 5.96%
>
> The curve is beginning to increase dramatically,
> what's more worrying is that the UK Govt do not
> expect to see the peak before two to three weeks
> time.
>
> And today the Government said that if the UK has
> 20,000 deaths (think how many confirmed cases that
> will require) the UK will have been lucky. Luck
> has nothing to do with this, they believe the
> number of deaths could, yes could reach a
> staggering 500,000. That is damn scary.

Just want to say, the 5.96% figure is a bit misleading.

This is only from confirmed, tested cases. As we all know not everyone is being tested.

We have been told that it is likely much, much higher than this, which means the mortality rate is lower.

I dont want to downplay the seriousness of the situation of course.

As it stood as of yesterday, the UK had a mortality rate of 15 per 1,000,000 of its population. This is unfortunately likely to increase however.

Posted by fishbiscuits March 29, 12:46PM

I agree. Actual cases could easily be 10x the official confirmed cases. The mortality rate is nothing like 6%.

Posted by JohnL March 29, 01:06PM

The mortality rate in places like London will depend how well the NHS copes and how flat the curve is - so mortality rate is not just dependent on the virus itself but how well we deal with it ?

Posted by JohnL March 29, 01:13PM

The depression from this is if we're already ill we have to hide, if we fall ill or have an accident - that things waiting for you too sad smiley

another reason not to go out or take risks in any way.

Posted by Penguin68 March 29, 02:33PM

I agree. Actual cases could easily be 10x the official confirmed cases. The mortality rate is nothing like 6%.

Well, the mortality rate for those testing positive on admission to hospital is around 6% - but this of course is not the overall mortality rate, which is unknown. Estimates of 1.0%-0.1% are based on guesses around the (probably 90%) of people with symptoms but who have not been hospitalised and the maybe many more entirely asymptomatic - which may include many children. What does seem clear is that those who become really ill are really, really ill - the death rate of those in intensive care is reported at 50% - seasonal flu intensive care mortality is reported at about 33%.

Of course many of those who do die may well have died if they had got flu, as opposed to Covid 19 - so it is quite possible that the overall 'death rate' over this time will broadly match the anticipated rate.

The other thing to say is that reports of e.g. sex bias in deaths need to be taken carefully. Although in China and Italy more men have died (proportionately) than women this correlation does not in and of itself imply causation. (Statistics 101). For instance Italian and Chinese men are reported to be heavier smokers than women, and in a respiratory disease this may be significant.

What I am saying is that unless and until we have properly sampled national statistics, where the sample is not skewed through sampling bias (as it clearly was when virtually only those reporting to hospital sick were being tested) we will not know either infection, or death or recovery rates. And although we will now be seeing NHS staff tested (which changes the sampling basis) we are of course now only testing those most likely to have been exposed (and exposed on a high frequency basis). So not 'national population' figures either.

It is good practice to challenge any published statistic to see how it was derived and what inherent errors are in it, but it is particularly important if 'headline' statistics seem scary (or indeed overly re-assuring - some countries are publishing 'death in hospital' figures but not deaths in other institutions such as care homes for the elderly).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum