Shops not taking Cash

DulwichFox

mate, they've been banging on about avoiding cash for some time now, surprised you've only just noticed, Moxons, Franklins, Mons the list goes on, put your cash away it's teeming! Not to mention old school :)

gromit3:16 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's getting ridiculous

No, it's not getting ridiculous.

It is protecting people, including you, from getting ill, in some cases very ill, and in some cases dead.

This unfortunate resort is about transmission of a virus.

It's not about what is convenient for people.

Shops are trying to avoid hand-to-hand contact by utilising a long-embedded technology option already frequently used by most people for decades.

'Ridiculous' would be carrying on, transmitting disease, just cos it looks good.

> So how are the people who pay in cash gonna pay?

>

> It's getting ridiculous,

> The shop worker has to handle the product you are

> buying, so how will they work around that.

That's one person, plus whoever has handled it between its original production and you. Taking a wild guess, not more than half a dozen. And retailers - and presumably producers, warehouses, wholesalers etc - are taking strict steps to keep things hygienic (not sure that's the word).

Cash has probably been round hundreds of people, any one of whom could transmit the virus via the cash (or pick it up from the cash).

I have read that the Covid 19 Coronavirus, can live for up to three days on non sanitised hard surfaces.

If therefore, someone who unknowingly has the virus, handles their credit card and transfers the virus to their credit card.

On making a purchase the virus is then transferred to the card reader in the shop.

It therefore seems logical that every person who subsequently touches the card reader, with their own credit card, collects the virus from the card reader, on to their own credit card and takes it home to share with family and friends.

Please check on Google, as to how long the virus can survive on various surfaces.It will shock you

Very interested in any comments.

If you are worried, you could somehow wash or otherwise sanitise your card every time you used it.

I'm not sure how though.

But I would have thought there was still less chance of passing on the virus by card than by cash.

I'm sure others here will know a lot more than me about it!

Sue Wrote:

> If you are worried, you could somehow wash or

> otherwise sanitise your card every time you used

> it.

>

> I'm not sure how though.

>

> But I would have thought there was still less

> chance of passing on the virus by card than by

> cash.

>

> I'm sure others here will know a lot more than me

> about it!

As usual, this is getting quite ridiculous

In order to get the virus from something like a card, you not only have to touch the card with your hand, you then have to touch your face, nose, mouth. The risk is low, not impossible, but low. The advice to wash hands is good advice. Get into the habit of not touching your face. If you need to wipe your nose, use a clean tissue and dispose of it immediately, then wash your hands etc etc. The way most people will catch the virus is through airborne particles and intimate or prolonged contact with an infected person. Hence why social distancing is the most effective way to stay safe.

Thanks Charles, I am lucky as I have family my concern is how frightening it must be to see how quickly people are to accept the cashless situation. I realise there are places where cash is accepting but with it being difficult to buy what you need the last thing we need is to be making it harder especially for old people.

Things are picked up and put back in shops all the time. It is one thing looking at ways to stay safe but the reality as we have been told is that our hope lies at the moment on natural immunity. This is an old concept, there is a fine line between building a strong immunity and recognising precaution and protection.

can't believe everyone is so happy to jump on the cashless society. where the government can track your every movement and know what your spending your money on.

I use cash everywhere as it is safer.

It's too easy to lose track of how much money you have when using cards.

and I noticed young people don't value money anymore because they always use cards.

> can't believe everyone is so happy to jump on the

> cashless society. where the government can track

> your every movement and know what your spending

> your money on.

>

> I use cash everywhere as it is safer.

> It's too easy to lose track of how much money you

> have when using cards.

>

> and I noticed young people don't value money

> anymore because they always use cards.

My sentiment entirely..

Card usage is the cause of overspending especially with young people.

Young people buying repeat rounds of shots in pubs tapping their card.

Eight Sambucas YAAYY ?40.00

The Pubs Love it.

If they were asked to pay ?40.00 cash they would think twice because they do not have the money.

All their cards are Maxed out and they are just paying interest at high % rates and cannot clear their cards.

DulwichFox

And its also easier to help people out, even thought the buses are cashless you can still give someone money to put credit on there oyster if they are refused on bus. I only use cash and know lots of people who do.

Very interesting link Bobbly, so much info,

it seems a lot of things have been decided as far as leaving the EU is concerned, thanks.