If writing or rewriting your will - please think about cremation

yorksgirl

Solicitors report increased numbers of people - very sensibly - looking out for their families by making or updating wills at the moment.

Should any of us depart this life in SE22 we could leave a better legacy for the future by opting for cremation so please think of this when will writing. There is very little first-use space in the cemeteries run by Southwark Council, that serve SE22. Two thirds of Honor Oak Recreation Ground has already been turned into graves.

Southwark is still leading the country for most COVID-19 cases of any municipal area in the whole of the UK so it seems likely that there will also be the most deaths here.

At one point the Council published a long term plan that concluded they would opt to eventually move onto Peckham Rye (this presumed they would already have used the whole of Honor Oak Rec). Although they later adopted a sustainable policy of reletting graves, they then had a barrage of complaints about doing that - although it is what the rest of the country and the rest of the world does and has always done.

Given the pressure that may result on the local authority, and the rate they have been selling plots at Honor Oak Rec already, the point at which they might grant themselves permission to take the rest of HOnor Oak Rec or even use Peckham Rye could be coming.

The simplest thing and the most thoughtful legacy would be if everyone just opts for cremation at this difficult time, please give it some thought when leaving your instructions.

yorksgirl - I am with you 100% regarding getting one's will sorted out soon.

We here have been dithering over updating our wills for maybe a decade - always putting it off until tomorrow.

Tomorrow has come ! We've now done them and will be doing the signing/witnessing in a day or so.

Writing a will is a good thing irrespective of the current situation

Cremation, sky burial or donating your body to medical science are also good things

Also worth getting your funeral playlist together, I started a thread on this subject a few years ago.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Writing a will is a good thing irrespective of the

> current situation

>

> Cremation, sky burial or donating your body to

> medical science are also good things

>

> Also worth getting your funeral playlist together,

> I started a thread on this subject a few years

> ago.

The long and winding road...

Sadly I don't think there will be time for any funeral playlists at actual cremations. Not much point either as e.g. in Italy, no one is allowed to attend the cremations.

Do you think we could do virtual playlists / ceremonies for outselves, cloud store them and leave instructions where they are?

Best funeral joke: " I promised to mention my ex-husband in my will. Hello John."

yorksgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sadly I don't think there will be time for any

> funeral playlists at actual cremations. Not much

> point either as e.g. in Italy, no one is allowed

> to attend the cremations.

>

> Do you think we could do virtual playlists /

> ceremonies for outselves, cloud store them and

> leave instructions where they are?

>

> Best funeral joke: " I promised to mention my

> ex-husband in my will. Hello John."

More of the voice of doom, how depressing do you aim to make it for others??

Why are your posts so damn negative?

With my mother after the actual cremation the church service was 2 months later (we got a little plot in the Norman Church in Bishopston Swansea and had a little service and buried the ashes)

Not been back since but I intend to be around to do so :)