We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageFinally calm in Sainsbury's
Posted by whodhavethoughit March 22, 02:13PM

I went to Sainsbury's today at 12.15pm and there was actually space in the car park. There were toilet rolls, milk, lots of fruit and vegetables and an air of calm about the place. It was a totally difference place to a week ago. Accepted people have got stockpiles and possibly do not need to refill but I do believe people are beginning to realise that the shelves will be re-stocked.

The wine aisle was still rather empty.

messageRe: Finally calm in Sainsbury's
Posted by womanofdulwich March 22, 02:36PM

Thank you. I thought this would be the case, but was not 100%. Were people distancing themselves?

Posted by bob March 22, 03:24PM

Thinking of popping in to Sainsbury's around 4PM have they still got food stuff
Bob S

Posted by apbremer March 22, 05:48PM

12 am today in Tesco Express, Croxted Rd. Well stocked apart from bread and detergent. Calm and sensible customers.

Posted by whodhavethoughit March 23, 05:47AM

Not that I noticed unfortunately. I keep my distance and move quite fast to get what I want an pd get home.

Posted by mrwb March 23, 07:12AM

Hopefully it stays like that. London has thinned out. Lots of people have left if they can to isolate in the countryside.

So that should reduce the pressure on shops.

If everyone shops normally no problems.

Posted by JohnL March 23, 08:51AM

mrwb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully it stays like that. London has thinned
> out. Lots of people have left if they can to
> isolate in the countryside.
>
> So that should reduce the pressure on shops.
>
> If everyone shops normally no problems.

Moving to the countryside isn't recommended as the NHS doesn't have the capacity in those places (like Wales and Scotland).

Posted by Blondie March 23, 08:57AM

Finally, phew, reassuring to know. Long may this common sense and pragmatism continue. Last week it was a virus factory.

Posted by Ruskin March 23, 10:00AM

9am this morning and an orderly queue was fed into both doors after NHS and the elderly had been in. No stampede and no grabbing inside - just shoppers blocking an aisle hugging and saying hello to old friends.

Posted by Sue March 23, 10:44AM

Ruskin Wrote:
shoppers
> blocking an aisle hugging and saying hello to old
> friends.

??????

Posted by Loutwo March 23, 11:04AM

People hugging? Jesus christ. Beggars belief.

Louisa.

Posted by Sue March 23, 11:13AM

Loutwo Wrote:
> People hugging? Jesus christ. Beggars belief.
>

Unfortunately, given the crowds of people shown gathering on beaches, in parks etc, it is only too believable.

I can't understand why there hasn't been a massive co-ordinated public information campaign spelling out the dangers in words of one syllable with leaflets delivered to every door.

"They" seem to be able to do this at election times.

The facts of the situation we are in just haven't been properly communicated, and by the time they are it will be too late for many people.

Posted by Blah Blah March 23, 11:25AM

Agreed Sue. A leaflet to every door spelling it out is easy to do. Should have been done a week ago in fact.

Posted by Sue March 23, 11:39AM

Blah Blah Wrote:
> Agreed Sue. A leaflet to every door spelling it
> out is easy to do. Should have been done a week
> ago in fact.

Or earlier! It's not as if "they" haven't known how things were inevitably going to escalate.

Posted by KidKruger March 23, 01:08PM

TBH I think everyone understands the 'message'.
After that, it's down to how grown-up people can be about it on an individual level.
There's literally no excuse anymore.

Posted by Sue March 23, 01:17PM

KidKruger Wrote:
> TBH I think everyone understands the 'message'.

KK, I don't think a lot of people can do.

They may have heard you are supposed to be distancing yourself from other people.

But I don't think they realise a) you can pass on the virus even whilst showing no signs of having it yourself, either because you are incubating it or because you are asymptomatic (not sure if those are the same thing, sorry)

b) Just because somebody else doesn't look ill doesn't mean that they can't give it to you (see a) )

c) the statistical issues ie one person gives it to ten, each of whom gives it to another ten, and so on. Is exponential the correct term?

Which is why the message needs to be much more clearly and firmly spelled out, preferably by a leaflet through each door.

We are in a public health emergency situation, and people are just gliding through it as if it doesn't exist. Or worse, making fun of it (corona parties etc. FFS.)

Posted by KidKruger March 23, 01:28PM

Anybody with a smart phone who can see has seen this information all day long, it's free and easy to follow.
What's failing is people's sense of responsibility and maturity.
I'm impressed by the credit you give the population though !!

Posted by rahrahrah March 23, 03:43PM

Just yesterday the PM said kids could go to the playground as long as they were asked to keep 2 metres from other children. Just a few weeks ago, he was on TV boasting about how he had been shaking the hands of Covid-19 patients. The messages from the very top have been extremely confused.

Posted by AntP2015 March 23, 04:57PM

Hmm...I find it hard to see how people haven't been able to keep up with the advice. It's across all news sites, all news TV, the daily updates from downing street and a lots of shops have info on their doors. When a serious national and international crisis is happening you would have thought people may decide to take a small interest and follow just one news outlet. Anyway, I came on here to see how Sainsbury's was doing, maybe I'll pop down.

Posted by ed26 March 23, 05:27PM

Sainsbury's is definitely quiet and generally people were giving each other space - hard to do when an aisle is less than 2m wide though.

Re the "confused messages," it's a rapidly changing situation, so you would expect messages to change over two weeks. The way the inevitable lockdown has been phased in, is pretty responsible. It's given everyone time to reflect and realise that this is a very serious situation. A lockdown from day 1 would have led people to think that the government was overreacting, and would have been very difficult to enforce and sustain.

Posted by Sue March 23, 06:05PM

rahrahrah Wrote:
> Just yesterday the PM said kids could go to the
> playground as long as they were asked to keep 2
> metres from other children. Just a few weeks ago,
> he was on TV boasting about how he had been
> shaking the hands of Covid-19 patients. The
> messages from the very top have been extremely
> confused.

Agreed.

Posted by Blah Blah March 23, 08:02PM

Yes, the messaging from the top has been confused, but that is because they are populists and not science based professionals. Science based facts have a habit of undoing populism.

On this, Sue is right. This is a real full scale pandemic (according to all the medical definitions). We ALL have a duty to save lives through our own behaviour. And we do not need to wait for government to act to do the right thing. Listen to the medical professionals...they trained for exactly this kind of scenario. And lobby any politician who is slow to the mark x

Edited to add; we have an issue with people who think the MSM is fake news. This rebellion was a seed sown by the lack of censorship on social media, and has been exacerbated by Brexit. THIS is why the messaging is failing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was march 23, 08:08pm by Blah Blah.

Posted by se22cat March 23, 08:11PM

Just been there - 2/3 of the shelves empty I fail to see any real change or progress made at all, apart from lots of sneaky price rises - many of which 20-30%!

Posted by spider69 March 23, 08:31PM

And when Johnson speaks tonight the locusts will be out in force tomorrow.

I was hoping to replenish my food requirement.

My daughter's partner went to Tesco , Surrey Quays this morning, queues round the block. Does it never stop. Left and went to a small Sainsburys at Canada water at least 100 people waiting for it to open.

Posted by spider69 March 24, 08:19AM

Is it possible for an update on Sainsbury's stock situation.

Many thanks

Posted by rahrahrah March 24, 09:54AM

spider69 Wrote:

> My daughter's partner went to Tesco , Surrey Quays
> this morning, queues round the block. Does it
> never stop. Left and went to a small Sainsburys at
> Canada water at least 100 people waiting for it to
> open.

Where are people keeping all this stuff? Surely they must be running out of space?

Posted by vic.ham March 24, 10:40AM

Hi I will be going later, will update.
Opening times 8am-8pm

Posted by kerry2015 March 24, 12:04PM

se22cat Wrote:
> Just been there - 2/3 of the shelves empty I fail
> to see any real change or progress made at all,
> apart from lots of sneaky price rises - many of
> which 20-30%!

What products have they increased prices on, that is appalling and should be reported.

Posted by vic.ham March 24, 12:05PM

Sainsburys DKH
Restricting numbers into store atm via orderly queue
Plenty fresh fruit, veg, ready meals, some fresh meats but not fully stocked.only
aisle I noticed was empty was toilet rolls and eggs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 24, 01:23pm by vic.ham.

Posted by se22cat March 24, 02:28PM

kerry - too many to mention, 2/3 of what I've managed to buy in the last week or so have had this happen, it's pure profiteering from the scumbags stripping the shelves.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum