Transfusion of antibodies?

tomdhu

National newspapers carried an article today about the preventative benefits of having a transfusion of blood plasma from someone who has recovered from Covid19 and who will have developed antibodies. Seemingly this was the method used before vaccines against viruses were developed.

Anyone got any views on this and any idea as to which professional medical facility could offer such a service?

This is not a simple process and carries all kinds of risks. Plasma transfusion of any kind has no guarantee of working. The only way this would be tested, is in patients who have no other way of recovering. There are a whole range of trials any treatment has to go through before it can be licensed for wider use. The story has made the newspapers because the FDA in the USA has cleared the trial of convalescent plasma for use in extreme cases where the patient?s life is seriously or immediately threatened. It would be some time, and require much more comprehensive research before any such treatment would be on offer anywhere.

The are a range of risks (plasma has more risk than other types of blood transfusion). Serious adverse reactions include acute lung injury, circulatory overload, and allergic/anaphylactic reaction. Less common risks include transmission of infection, febrile non-hemolytic reaction, RBC allo-immunization, and hemolytic reaction. Fortunately, all of those things can be treated, but this kind of treatment has never been used in place of a vaccine, mainly because any benefit it creates is temporary. Hence it being useful for helping those fighting the infection (as a form of treatment), but would require repeated shots to work like any vaccine. It would never be offered to anyone not in a high risk group.

OK, there are risk factors involved and it is difficult to quantify the risks in ceratin cases however what is the probability of getting it approved for use in the following circumstances:-

DONOR

Is offspring of the recipient, is young, fit, healthy and willing to provide ample supplies. Recovered from Covid19 earlier this month. Blood group "B" Neg.

RECIPIENT

Is 79 year old mother of donor. Suffers from bronchia asthma and is group "O" Pos

What do you reckon?

Other son the matter.

https://infectiousdiseases.wustl.edu/possible-covid-19-treatment-transfusion-of-antibodies-from-recovered-patients-blood/

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-antibodies-covid-survivors-patients.html

Yes, I pointed out the FDA approval for trials in a reply above. The Plasma works to kick start antibody production in already ill patients. So might be the only effective treatment for some patients until an effective drug treatment emerges. The USA is heading for the worst figures on infection and deaths so far.