Time to start cooking

DulwichFox

Hi All

Many of us are stuck at home Self-Isolating.

Maybe you are getting out to buy food but of course fresh food goes off if you do not use it.

So what about making some meals that you can make in bulk and freeze.

I have been following this guy for many months. He is called Al and his site is Al's Kitchen.

He has Dozens of Youtube Videos on how to make Authentic Restaurant Quality Indian Food.

Here is his Video on Indian Base Gravy. Once made you can add it to ANY Curry that you might make.

Hope you enjoy and try this recipe and follow Al and try some of his wonderful recipes.

DulwichFox

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well done Foxy

>

> I?ve just started to learn how to make sourdough

> bread. I?m currently making the ?Mother? starter.

> It?s something I?ve always wanted to do.

>

> If you?re on Instagram then follow

> @brickhousebread

> https://instagram.com/brickhousebread?igshid=1qrcq

> lgqbvpgv

>

> The curry vid you posted looks 👍🏽

I have made a sourdough Starter before but my bread making is not too good. Just cannot get it right.

I always end up with a loaf that does not rise in the oven with a hard crust and wet soggy loaf inside.

I have a Instagram account and follow @brickhousebread

I am still trying to get my head around Instgram

Foxy.

Foxy, good post.

I also cook curry a lot and recently found this decent recipe for life-like madras, including base gravy recipe.

I agree cooking batches is an efficient way to operate and recommend this recipe.

(dunno how to embed links, so just grab it and paste it).

It's sunny, but still chilly, the perfect warming dish is Japanese curry rice, if you luck out & find some vegetables for sale! You can get the roux from The Rice Wine Shop [cheapest] or even from Amazon. Here's how to make this easily adaptable & highly addictive meal

se22cat Wrote:

> You can get the roux from The Rice Wine Shop or even from Amazon.

Yes we sometimes get those blocks of Japanese curry sauce. But they're quite expensive, and it's easy to make from scratch.. butter, flour, spices.. that's about it.

There are 4 adults in my house. 2 vegetarians, one with IBD, and one other. Everyone was on a different timetable, in and out of the house- eating at different times- until the lockdown. It's an utter nightmare now. Added to which we have to put up with constant builders' noise from next door as we are not allowed to escape for long.

I have been bulk cooking potatoes so that they can add whatever they want to them

I make a better curry than the ubiquitous/formulaic UK curry house - the basic sauce comes in large bags of dried ingredients. I can't compete with the Babur as they have gone into another food dimension. Now is the chance to experiment and you will find most of the spices that you want in Khans in Peckham or SMBS foods, obviously go there to to a proper shop rather than just buy one ingredient. I'm not beyond finding things on line and Rick Stein's kidney bean curry is a good one. Learned on his travels in India.

malumbu Wrote:

> I make a better curry than the ubiquitous/formulaic UK curry house

Well yes, I'd like to think that I do too. I am fairly experimental with curries, and like adding different things into the paste mix... roasted onions, chillies, ginger and garlic are always there in the blender in various quantities. Plus various roasted and ground spices. Then maybe tomato puree and a glug of vinegar, or maybe maybe some coconut milk and a handful of cashew nuts, or maybe even some mango or papaya with a bit of tamarind and brown sugar. Before cooking out the paste.

But unfortunately while some people seem to be finding themselves with lots of free time these days, I seem to be suffering from the opposite. I spend much of the day looking after my daughter, and trying to provide some semblance of education and entertainment. I've been spending the evenings catching up with work, and the thought of spending the time making a curry from scratch... at the moment, it's in the realms of fantasy. Dulwich Tandoori is still delivering, and is probably my favourite of the various old-school local curry places.

Sounds pretty good to me, adventurous but still fairly simple. Think you could bulk this up and it will only improve with time. Not eating meet most of the veggy curries purchased in restaurants and supermarkets are gloopy and bland. I've also been across India and Sri Lanka and experienced some of the regional variations. Sorry I'm sounding rather pretentious. Anyway hope I have encouraged others to try. I'll also be steeling some of the suggested ingredients below.

>

> Well yes, I'd like to think that I do too. I am

> fairly experimental with curries, and like adding

> different things into the paste mix... roasted

> onions, chillies, ginger and garlic are always

> there in the blender in various quantities. Plus

> various roasted and ground spices. Then maybe

> tomato puree and a glug of vinegar, or maybe maybe

> some coconut milk and a handful of cashew nuts, or

> maybe even some mango or papaya with a bit of

> tamarind and brown sugar. Before cooking out the

> paste.

>

I don't think it was a competition, it was just chewing the fat on a couple of try-at-home recipes. We can all cook better curries than standard high st versions (let's face it, it's pretty easy), but sometimes a bit of curry house comfort food is desired. For me it's that madras.

Last time I mentioned non-high st / authentic curries on here I got called pretentious - warning, so you may be next !

In reply to https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,2106636,2107293#msg-2107293

malumbu Wrote:

> I make a better curry than the

> ubiquitous/formulaic UK curry house - the basic

> sauce comes in large bags of dried ingredients.

Are others going through there cupboards to see what is in there? A number of packet sources which came with various Mexican or curry kits. Don't care if they are past their sell by date as long as they haven't been opened. I've got a mystery one with no writing or instructions on it, smells spicy but sniffing it made me sneeze which is not a good thing. I'm going to mix this with water and casserole something with it.

I did find a Ainsley Harriott dal mix which I felt inclined to use. It was horrid so I do have my limits on using old stock.

But worryingly I did find some tinned pineapple. I haven't had tinned fruit since the 80s and it takes me back to the decade before when we used to have tinned peaches or mandarin oranges in evaporated milk. It was seen to be very modern - interestingly in a family that also baked and preserved fruit so there were also positives. Not sure where the pineapple came from and worried that someone in the household is stockpiling. I'll be looking for secret stashes of tinned fruit salad. For younger readers this says more:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wC3Log-vA

malumbu Wrote:

> Are others going through there cupboards to see

> what is in there? A number of packet sources

> which came with various Mexican or curry kits.

> Don't care if they are past their sell by date as

> long as they haven't been opened. I've got a

> mystery one with no writing or instructions on it,

> smells spicy but sniffing it made me sneeze which

> is not a good thing. I'm going to mix this with

> water and casserole something with it.

>

> I did find a Ainsley Harriott dal mix which I felt

> inclined to use. It was horrid so I do have my

> limits on using old stock.

>

> But worryingly I did find some tinned pineapple. I

> haven't had tinned fruit since the 80s and it

> takes me back to the decade before when we used to

> have tinned peaches or mandarin oranges in

> evaporated milk. It was seen to be very modern -

> interestingly in a family that also baked and

> preserved fruit so there were also positives. Not

> sure where the pineapple came from and worried

> that someone in the household is stockpiling.

> I'll be looking for secret stashes of tinned fruit

> salad. For younger readers this says more:

>

> www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wC3Log-vA

Roast the pineapple, should be lovely caramelised. I'm never bothered by the right or wrong combinations of food, leading me to just finish lunch which was roasted cauliflower with homemade hummus!

I've got rice left as my carb, but not much to go with it. (nothing in fact) Maybe I'll fast tonight and hope my Covent Garden veg box comes soon!

My husband ordered a rotisserie oven (we've got the last one from this list: https://www.justinscafe.com/best-rotisserie-oven/). It makes my cooking much faster and easier. My favourite thing to make in it is a blackened Cajun chicken. I just rub two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, toss them in the air fryer, flip the breasts halfway through, and after about 30 minutes, the chicken is done. The chicken comes out moist and delicious.