Boadband issues

Frenchpolisher

Not sure if this should be in this thread or not, but seeing as my issues only started last week I thought it might be related.

We are on Dunstans Road and use Sky Superfast Broadband. We had new cables and box fitted by BT last year and the latest router from Sky in January. Everything was working fine until last week when we started to get brief outages, usually only about once or twice a day. The last two days the number have increased. Unfortunately Sky are being of little help (understandable to some extent)and as a result it is difficult to work out whether the issue is related purely to our property or is a wider issue affecting others in the area due to how busy the networks are.

The family upstairs are on BT and have had no problems. I'd welcome some feedback on whether you are experiencing issues or not.

Thanks Jon, we're only getting occasional outages, usually only for a few seconds, but as I am currently working from home it is rather disruptive. As the frequency have increased and I do not get paid if I can't work, I have been rather worried about the situation getting worse. I hope yours is sorted out soon, but hopefully it is a sign of a wider problem that will be fixed and things will return to normal. I have to wonder whether the recent power outage is related.

Spoke to Sky last night and after running tests they confirmed no issues my end. They advised could see that the connection had been unstable for around a week and advised that this was almost certainly down to the network struggling to cope with all of the extra traffic.

While this was pretty much what I expected, Sky's online broadband checker had me thinking it might be otherwise. Hopefully this put a few more minds at rest. I rely on working from home to get paid, so knowing that I do not need to replace any equipment is one less thing to worry about.

Most streaming companies have now used a default of lower bandwidth/lower resolution (it's not just WFH - we're all streaming too). But the article below says we're still well OK

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/covid-19-a-look-at-mondays-uk-internet-traffic-and-isp-speeds.html

But families have to blame :)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/04/family-arguments-over-broadband-rise-during-covid-19-crisis.html