We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageCovid deaths
Posted by Spartacus April 02, 05:11PM

What bugs me about this crisis is that they (the media) are focusing on the death of Eddie Large yet very little about the 560 plus others who died in the past 24 hours.

Each one of their lives was just as important and valuable to their families and friends and I find it sad that a former celebrity gets more media attention than "ordinary" people.

If the media are going to put one death in the spotlight they need to put all those who have lost their fight on the same pedestal.

Rant over

messageRe: Covid deaths
Posted by keano77 April 02, 05:39PM

Okay, I’ve got cabin fever so I’ll bite

“... Each one of their lives was just as important and valuable to their families and friends...”

True.

But many people will remember Eddie large. Most will have no idea who hundreds of Joe Bloggs from Dunroaming were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 02, 05:47pm by keano77.

Posted by DulwichFox April 02, 05:44PM

Spartacus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What bugs me about this crisis is that they (the
> media) are focusing on the death of Eddie Large
> yet very little about the 560 plus others who died
> in the past 24 hours.
>
> Each one of their lives was just as important and
> valuable to their families and friends and I find
> it sad that a former celebrity gets more media
> attention than "ordinary" people.
>
> If the media are going to put one death in the
> spotlight they need to put all those who have lost
> their fight on the same pedestal.
>
> Rant over

Around about 500,000 people die in England each year. About 10,000 each week, 1,428 each day.
Are you saying we should name them all.

Eddie Large was a well known TV Star for many years and his passing would of been of interest to many.

DulwichFox

Posted by Spartacus April 02, 06:28PM

Keano
I'm sure Mrs Bloggs and his 3 children wouldn't agree with you. What makes a has been celeb more important ? Joe could have been about to solve one of life's big mystery for all we know.

Foxy I saying if they are going to highlight one death from covid they should highlight them all or no one at all.

Your concept would have been the same as saying there should be no war Memorial's erected with soldiers names on.

Everyone is supposed to be equal in God's eyes but the media instead wants sensational news to sell.

Either mention them all by name or mention no-one's name to be fair to those who can't even go to the funerals of family members at the moment.

Posted by keano77 April 02, 07:12PM

Either you are very bored Spartacus or it genuinely peeves you.

There is nothing stopping you researching the unfortunate people’s names and, with permission from their families/relatives, publishing a list on this forum to give them due recognition, with perhaps a brief biography for each person. In fact, you could update your lists hourly I suspect.

That should keep you occupied and address the perceived wrong that annoys you.

Posted by Blah Blah April 02, 09:55PM

Celebrity deaths are always reported, irregardless of what they die from. Why would that be any different during a pandemic?

Posted by JohnL April 03, 09:37AM

He was pretty famous in my time (1980s) - as famous as Morecambe and Wise were in the 1970s some might say.

Not heard anything from him for years and felt rather sad - it's a sort of placeholder to grieve for all the rest

Posted by KidKruger April 03, 11:51AM

"Celebrity deaths are always reported, irregardless of what they die from. Why would that be any different during a pandemic?"

Exactly, this thread should be re-titled "why do famous people get mentioned in media when they die, but everyone else doesn't ?"
It's nothing to do with Covid, no change, BAU.

A few months ago, the exact same headline would have occurred (obviously except the bit about "succumbed to Covid-19..".

Posted by Blah Blah April 03, 01:01PM

Even this forum has a thread for celebrity deaths does it not?

Posted by KidKruger April 03, 01:19PM

'Even this forum has a thread for celebrity deaths does it not?'

Yeah it does, but they excluded my friend who died last August.
Bastards.

Posted by seenbeen April 07, 02:26PM

Big jump today- 854 deaths, 758 in England- total to date is now 6,227

Posted by Seabag April 07, 03:02PM

Stupid thread, not on the deaths , but the premise

Following this logic we’d have ‘News’ on just about anything and anybody

Breaking News: Ted Boark died this week, after he planted a dozen cabbages on his allotment he complained of “feeling unwell” says Mrs Nora Boark. Ted died shortly after his dinner.

See, it’s not exactly ‘newsworthy’ is it. It’s unfortunate I grant you, but it’s nothing that Mrs Boark couldn’t inform her nearest and dearest of herself. Whereas, Eddie Large being of national interest in that the was considered ‘well known’ warrants a ‘news’ story.

Hence ‘Well known comedian Eddie Large died today” on the national news

See how it works?

Next?!

Posted by dbboy April 07, 04:21PM

Yesterday cumulative figure was - 10.41%, increase slowing but still increasing slightly on a daily basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 07, 05:54pm by dbboy.

Posted by alice April 07, 05:37PM

Daily figures are a bit unreliable back up after weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 07, 06:12pm by alice.

Posted by ££££ April 07, 11:20PM

can't work out if this is top draw trolling or top draw stupidity

Posted by seenbeen April 07, 11:21PM

this does not help
[www.itv.com]

Posted by goliaph2020 April 23, 03:48PM

It is a great loss for UK people and not only. I'm surprised how such a highly developed medicine of the Kingdom couldn't help him. Can you imagine that simple people have no chancesad smiley I'm very afraid of it and my house is full of disinfectant and maskssmiling smiley I think everyone has to be very careful. My father has bought some test from [www.confirmbiosciences.com] for making the test from the first symptoms. Because it is very important to ''catch'' the corona from the first days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 27, 04:50pm by goliaph2020.

Posted by JohnL April 23, 08:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 23, 08:57pm by JohnL.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum