Covid deaths

Spartacus

What bugs me about this crisis is that they (the media) are focusing on the death of Eddie Large yet very little about the 560 plus others who died in the past 24 hours.

Each one of their lives was just as important and valuable to their families and friends and I find it sad that a former celebrity gets more media attention than "ordinary" people.

If the media are going to put one death in the spotlight they need to put all those who have lost their fight on the same pedestal.

Rant over

Okay, I?ve got cabin fever so I?ll bite

?... Each one of their lives was just as important and valuable to their families and friends...?

True.

But many people will remember Eddie large. Most will have no idea who hundreds of Joe Bloggs from Dunroaming were.

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What bugs me about this crisis is that they (the

> media) are focusing on the death of Eddie Large

> yet very little about the 560 plus others who died

> in the past 24 hours.

>

> Each one of their lives was just as important and

> valuable to their families and friends and I find

> it sad that a former celebrity gets more media

> attention than "ordinary" people.

>

> If the media are going to put one death in the

> spotlight they need to put all those who have lost

> their fight on the same pedestal.

>

> Rant over

Around about 500,000 people die in England each year. About 10,000 each week, 1,428 each day.

Are you saying we should name them all.

Eddie Large was a well known TV Star for many years and his passing would of been of interest to many.

DulwichFox

Keano

I'm sure Mrs Bloggs and his 3 children wouldn't agree with you. What makes a has been celeb more important ? Joe could have been about to solve one of life's big mystery for all we know.

Foxy I saying if they are going to highlight one death from covid they should highlight them all or no one at all.

Your concept would have been the same as saying there should be no war Memorial's erected with soldiers names on.

Everyone is supposed to be equal in God's eyes but the media instead wants sensational news to sell.

Either mention them all by name or mention no-one's name to be fair to those who can't even go to the funerals of family members at the moment.

Either you are very bored Spartacus or it genuinely peeves you.

There is nothing stopping you researching the unfortunate people?s names and, with permission from their families/relatives, publishing a list on this forum to give them due recognition, with perhaps a brief biography for each person. In fact, you could update your lists hourly I suspect.

That should keep you occupied and address the perceived wrong that annoys you.

He was pretty famous in my time (1980s) - as famous as Morecambe and Wise were in the 1970s some might say.

Not heard anything from him for years and felt rather sad - it's a sort of placeholder to grieve for all the rest

"Celebrity deaths are always reported, irregardless of what they die from. Why would that be any different during a pandemic?"

Exactly, this thread should be re-titled "why do famous people get mentioned in media when they die, but everyone else doesn't ?"

It's nothing to do with Covid, no change, BAU.

A few months ago, the exact same headline would have occurred (obviously except the bit about "succumbed to Covid-19..".

Stupid thread, not on the deaths , but the premise

Following this logic we?d have ?News? on just about anything and anybody

Breaking News: Ted Boark died this week, after he planted a dozen cabbages on his allotment he complained of ?feeling unwell? says Mrs Nora Boark. Ted died shortly after his dinner.

See, it?s not exactly ?newsworthy? is it. It?s unfortunate I grant you, but it?s nothing that Mrs Boark couldn?t inform her nearest and dearest of herself. Whereas, Eddie Large being of national interest in that the was considered ?well known? warrants a ?news? story.

Hence ?Well known comedian Eddie Large died today? on the national news

See how it works?

Next?!

• 3 weeks later...